Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that I can do (other than getting a new pump) to get my steering pump to be quiet? If I sit still and turn the wheel, it's OK, but if I start to pull out of the driveway and turn it, it growls like an empty one. It's so loud I'm embarrassed to pull into a parking space! BUT my wife pulled out of the yard the other day, and I couldn't hear a thing from OUTSIDE the car. (I'm not so embarrased now...) When I check the fluid cold, it's perfect. If I check it hot, it's low- I fill it up to the hot line, then when it cools off, it's too much. I don't have any leaks or anything, it's just loud. GET A NEW PUMP?? Any other suggestions?
Thanks-

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
You may try changing the PS fluid.... I dont know if there is anyway to drain it on the seville, but on the Qs we use a turkey baster, take out all the fluid, and replace it...... Do this 3-4 days a week for a couple weeks, and you have all new fluid......

And as long as the fluid is good HOT, then its fine.... Overfilling the PS just slightly wont hurt anything, but dont put in too much...... For instance, if it is over the line on cold, but under on hot, then you are good......

Other than that, the pump will have to go......

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I am not sure about the cadillac, but I know my car uses ATF as PS fluid...... The owners manual should enlighten you.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts