Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac SRX '04 AWD V8
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Few month ago I changed my tires/rims (from Winter tires with the OEM 04 rims to brand new summer tires on a set of 06 new rims.)
As I drove off the dealership I found those tires (Federal SS595) really loud,
but I thought the noise might eventually disappear after a few hundred miles.
Now I am pretty sure it has nothing ( or very little) to do with the tires
There is this always present humming, loud noise when I drive in a straight line. It dissapears when I take left curves though:hmm:
I checked around all tires under my car - thinking something might rub, but could not find anything.
Could it be that one (or more) bearing is finished ? Seems the noise is coming from the rear.
SRX is a 2004 V8 model - AWD,magnetic ride suspension.
54.000 miles
Any ideas / suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
Few month ago I changed my tires/rims (from Winter tires with the OEM 04 rims to brand new summer tires on a set of 06 new rims.)
As I drove off the dealership I found those tires (Federal SS595) really loud,
but I thought the noise might eventually disappear after a few hundred miles.
Now I am pretty sure it has nothing ( or very little) to do with the tires
There is this always present humming, loud noise when I drive in a straight line. It dissapears when I take left curves though:hmm:
I checked around all tires under my car - thinking something might rub, but could not find anything.
Could it be that one (or more) bearing is finished ? Seems the noise is coming from the rear.
SRX is a 2004 V8 model - AWD,magnetic ride suspension.
54.000 miles
Any ideas / suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
I had a pronounced rumble develop in the rear of our '04 and brought it to the dealer for warranty work ('twas toward the end of our 100k kms warranty). They initial couldn't detect the rumble and then could and it took a while before they diagnosed rear bearings - they were just starting to go and, so, were not easily detected. Because yours go away when you corner, it seems more likely that yours are going up front - but it's hard to diagnose over the 'net.

·
Registered
05 srx
15 Posts
If the new tires are all Z rated and/or the tread wear is too large and rim is 18+ the noise will be louder than regular H rated or 17" rim
Best way is using the Factory equiptment, dont customized them

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
I was going to guess a hub assembly. I had a loud noise like that before (not in SRX) that would be loud in a straight line, then quiet in the turn, and that is what it was.

·
Registered
Cadillac SRX '04 AWD V8
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the new tires are all Z rated and/or the tread wear is too large and rim is 18+ the noise will be louder than regular H rated or 17" rim
Best way is using the Factory equiptment, dont customized them
Rim is 18" - did not really customize anything. 255/55/18 on all four corners .Winter tires had the same dimensions.
My guess is that something with the bearing(s) must be wrong

·
Registered
Cadillac SRX '04 AWD V8
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
Problem turned out to be the left rear bearing.:crying2:
$ 400,- later and the SRX is running very smooth again:cool2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts