Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a used engine installed in my 97 DeVille. It has a few more miles than the former, and a different noise. The engine makes a loud growl (rattle?) when accelerating. It is loudest at initial acceleration and just after it goes into second gear. If I accelerate very carefully, there is no noise. Also, the growl is nonexistant after the first two gears. Is this normal? Thanks!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Had a similar noise coming from my 96DeVille after I first got it - 3 months ago. Near as I could figure it was carbon build up. A diet of WOT has seemed to clear 'er throat.

I'm sure you've seen the threads on the wonderfully fun Wide-Open-Throttle routine, AKA, "....drive it like you stole it!" Search it out in this forum, then take it out on an appropriate streach of pavement and hang on.

enjoy :cool:

·
Registered
540 Posts
i am having th esame noise on my 96 deville. It is hard to diagnose in the garage but on the road with some load on the motor it is more noticable. Does it almost sound like a windy circular grinding?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am meeting the service manager this evening, he is going to drive it again (he said he didn't notice it before). Good idea about the exhaust pipes. I read on a different thread that the line touching a bracket caused a similar rattle. I'll look underneath when I get home. Someone else mentioned a catalytic converter, but I'm not sure how to check this.

·
Super Moderator
86,071 Posts
Let the cat cool a bit, then just reach up there and wiggle it around. Also check the heat shield on top of it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I Was Going To Say Vibration Of The Heat Shields Or The Cat Also. Check All Your Heat Shields. Back Along The Entire Exhaust. They're Only Rivited On & Alot Of Them Were Broke On Mine & Had To Change To Screws. Good Luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
yea there are 2 cross brackes under the exhaust behind the cat convertor.
when the motor comes out things get shifter and things aren't in the same place when the engine goes back in....and most times the exhaust just lays right on the brackets. You can thake them off and not have any problems or you can take them off and bend them to clear the exhaust...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
8YrCaddy-Tech