Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Seville
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started. The car drives great tracks great everything is great, except when I slow to turn into a driveway or parking lot and I go up on the drive where the sidewalk is and when the rear of the car gets to the low point where the street and driveway join with the right rear tire, we hear a loud clunk like a metal to metal sound.

My first thought was a bushing in the rear suspension must be bad. I jacked the rear, removed both tires and can't find any bad bushings. The shock bushing, the anti sway bushing and the large suspension bushings won't move, show any slack or look bad at all. I just have no clue as to what that can be. It doesn't repeat going out of the driveway, only when turning from a street to a parking lot.

Anybody else ever have this issue or know something for me to look at?

·
Registered
2004 Seville
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you test for a loose bushing? I can't see visual damage nor can I move it. I have a large floor jack and I raised the real wheel off the ground and shook everything well. No movement was noticed.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
Exhaust system hanger cookies ?? That system has a flex section just forward of the cat - if the cookies are getting slack the rear part - Y-pipe and muffler(s) - can hit the body pretty good.................

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
I had the same in my 2006 CTS. You might want to check the upper attachement of the Shocks (you have FE3s too?) behind the rear seats and give the nut a couple of more turns to tighten the rubber bushings.

·
Registered
2004 Seville
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to drive it again today and see if it does the clunk again. When I was under the car yesterday, the exhaust looked okay but I really didn't give the biscuits a good luck. One thing for sure is, no sound at all going over potholes or other things, it's just going very slow into a driveway on a right turn. :(

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
One thing for sure is, no sound at all going over potholes or other things, it's just going very slow into a driveway on a right turn. :(
That being the case I think you can rule out control arm bushings.

:hmm: Any work done on the rear end lately where the wheels or hubs where removed?

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
I'm going to drive it again today and see if it does the clunk again. When I was under the car yesterday, the exhaust looked okay but I really didn't give the biscuits a good luck. One thing for sure is, no sound at all going over potholes or other things, it's just going very slow into a driveway on a right turn. :(
Only when the shock extends? Like I said before, you might want to tighten the upper nut of the rear shock, behind the rear seat.

·
Registered
2004 Seville
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drove it and no sound at all until I did a turn into a driveway as described. This time I went a little faster which made the car twist with the uneven turn. The noise was louder and most certainly more from the car body than the undercarriage. I think Dutchman in Germany is on point. I can't work on it until Sat. I'll report back and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
My car recently started making a clunk/pop in the same street to parking lot/drive way scenario, no other symptoms. I can hear it, and feel it. I can't find any bad bushings or play in anything back there either. :noidea:

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
My car recently started making a clunk/pop in the same street to parking lot/drive way scenario, no other symptoms. I can hear it, and feel it. I can't find any bad bushings or play in anything back there either. :noidea:
Giving the nut described before a few extra turns is a quick and cheap try on solving it.

·
Registered
1998 eldorado, 2000 Catera
247 Posts
If u can, with the tire on and the car on the ground push in at the top of the tire with a lot of pressure, if u hear a clunk that would be the rear knuckle bushings.i was showed this at the shop when I gave up on chasing the problem on my own.

·
Registered
2004 Seville
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked at this as a possible problem. Then I found out DeVilles have knuckle bushings and Sevilles don't. I still don't know what the problem is but I will post it when I find out the culprit.

I did shake the tires a lot and got nothing, then I took them off. It's a mystery.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Both shocks and mounts are only a few months old, and nice and tight.
My CTS was only months old when it occured to mine. My service point thought it had to do with the sway bars hitting at some structure and wrapped a rubber tape around it. It never worked and they couldn't find any other source for it. Then someone in the CTS forum pointed out on the top nut of the shock. I checked it out and even though it felt tight I gave it another 360 turn and since then no more clunk occured.

·
Registered
2004 Seville
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I finally fixed the clunk! I had all ball joints replaced front and back. I replaced them with grease zerk fitted ball joints.
The rear has suspension arms that go from the center to the wheel. Idler arms? I don't know what they are called but there is a ball joint on the wheel end and that was worn which caused the clunk.

It's like a new car now.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
Those long links are the rear wheel toe-in adjusters. The center section uses an eccentric for each side, adjustable independently.

See the GEICO eyes ?? Those are the adjuster eccentrics at the inner rod ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
All new on my car. Only original suspension parts are the coil springs, literally. Still chunks. :noidea:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts