Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its common to see people ask about interpreting diagnostic codes and others on the forum help them out but I haven't seen this question asked:

Once you get into diagnostic mode and all the codes cycle through the display I'm almost certain there is a way to look at various sensors in real time when the engine is running or the car is being driven. For example I'd like to see the current water temperature, current RPM, current manifold pressure, oil pressure, etc. while underway or with the engine idling.

I know this is possible on older Cadillacs but I don't know the sequence used to view it on '97 Sevilles. Does anyone know this and can you post it?

Thanks in advance!

..rickko..

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
You're talking about looking at the individual module parameters. All the ECMs/PCMs allow this but their procedures are different on different years and models. The lists of parameters are long and most do not display in plain english. They display in the actual data format used by the ECM/PCM, and sometimes in a kind of cryptic format that takes a little getting used to. In other words, some are easily identifiable, some are not. I would suggest that either a factory service manual, a quick reference guide (both available from Helm), or a scan tool (which usually WILL present the data in an easily read format). I have the info on all Caddys from like '88 to '99 I think and CAN send it to you. Just be aware that it IS a little involved and it IS possible to screw up some settings if you're not careful. Post your email here or PM me with it and I'll get the info to you. It's gonna take a couple days though since I'll be out of the office all day tomorrow, so don't think I'm ignoring you. ;)

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
rickko said:
... edited... look at various sensors in real time when the engine is running or the car is being driven. For example I'd like to see the current water temperature, current RPM, current manifold pressure, oil pressure, etc. while underway or with the engine idling..... edited...

Thanks in advance!

..rickko..
Rickko:
Some of the parameters you would like to see (but not all) can be displayed on a laptop (and possibly a palm pilot?) by using the interface available from the URL below. There are other systems available but this is the only one that I could find at the time that would read OBDII data from more than one car-maker.

Download the s/w available and run it in "Simulate mode" to get an idea of what you can display.

http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

Good luck.

Jim
'98 STS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts