Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This evening I parked my 2000 SLS at the local quiznos to get a sub and talk to the unbelievable girl there for about 10 minutes, got back in the car and started it. It seemed to be running a bit rough which is unusual. Then I noticed that all the radio lights were off, the air conditioning was dead and would not respond to any button presses and many of the dash lights were on (battery, traction control, speed limited to 90, etc... I didn't want to look like an idiot with a good looking but obviously problematic Cadillac, so I put it in reverse and decided to just drive it down the street and then deal with it in some parking lot where noone could see my poor car. Well, the parking brake is also electronically released so that was stuck down too... so it was a no go. I turned off the car, started it again and this time the aircon and the radio came on but the parking brake was still dead. I turned the car off, started it again and then all was well except the battery light and the traction control was still on. At this point I was ready to hit the road, so I drove on home... no problems. I did not dare drive in a manner to invoke the traction control and/or stability control system for fear of the entire electrical system shutting down around a corner doing 60. I'm sure some of you know what it is like to switch off your ignition going around a turn at a high rate of speed only to find your steering wheel mechanically locked up just as you thought you could make it around the turn without power steering. Here is a little history about the car... I drive it fairly hard... have broken many motor mounts and transmission mounts, once to the point where all the wiring going to the PCM became chafed and shorted to the chasis. Luckily the car was under extended warranty when this occurred. The wiring was supposedly repaired and I have not broken any motor mounts since. The last time it was inspected for broken mounts was about 2 weeks ago.

Note, my car is out of warranty now and I will be performing whatever is necessary in my garage. I am a fully qualified amateur Cadillac automobile mechanic!!! (what this means is I don't mind tearing it apart, just that I have never done it before.)

Any ideas what I should look for? I have never actually seen the place(s) where the PCM wires were chafed and replaced and/or repaired. They mentioned a lot of them were behind the engine near the firewall, wrapping around the engine block. Where should I look? Does anyone think I should look for those and if found, repair them with splices and individual heat shrinking per wire? Any other possible causes for these symptoms?

Will the code retrieval method advertised on various other posts around this forum work on my 2000 SLS? i.e. using the reset, function up/down, on/off butaton in various combinations as per those posts?

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
For 98 + sevilles its info up and on/off buttons located just right of the cluster. Sounds like some bad problems going on. Dont have any advice just thought id chime in on how to get codes. But good luck!

MacK

·
Registered
26 Posts
I give you a 99% liklihood that it's the battery, alternator, or most likely, the battery cable. When everything starts going whacko at once, that's what it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like your car is reacting in a jealous rage because of you attraction to this :highfive: fine female at the sub shop..........
Had a similar problem with my 02 bonneville. A new aternator and battery did the trick....

·
Registered
161 Posts
This happened to me once. I turned the car off, and when I restarted it was fine and has been ever since. There is so much computer interaction on these vehicles that sometimes data errors occur. If it isn't recurrent, I'd simply keep an eye on things and not lose too much sleep unless it happens again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts