Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just felt like getting some other opinions (sorry this will be a long post). Currently have 00' STS with 94,000 miles on it. Aftermarket warranty good till 100,000. I recently brought it to the dealer to check a few things out. Have issues with parking lot maneuvers and the steering tough to turn and rpms moving around, blower motor noise during hot weather w/ ac on, also water pump pully makes clicking noises when car is cold, and lastly an oil leak I noticed when I changed the oil last weekend. So I took it to the dealer to have the check it out. Spent close to 4 hours there on Thursday, Dealer came back saying the steering pump is going bad, blower motor also, lower case seal leaking, and while test driving it they noticed some play in the front suspension. Lifted it and found right front hub bearing going bad. So my tech called it in. Warranty company calls me suggesting I take it to an independent repair shop for a second looking. I took off Friday hoping to get stuff rolling. So after paying a little over $200 for diags and such, I went home. Took it to my local Goodyear for the second quote. Only thing they can find wrong is the leak. They are keeping it over the weekend to try cold starts and hopefully find my other problems. But they say the hub is fine. So warranty company sets everything up for the oil leak to be fixed by Goodyear (2 days to fix). Ask about a rental car, Told $35 a day for 3 days unless Goodyear finds anything else wrong. Call Enterprise to get car. $35 is good for a small compact (they dont have any), $45 for an impala (wont have till 5). But that will do it for now. Apprecate any input. Also wanted to know who youd believe seeing as goodyear cant find anything wrong besides the leak. Thanks

MacK

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't trust Goodyear mechanics any further than I could throw them. I would go to a shop that specializes in Cadillacs (not a dealer) to get their opinion. My advice is to go to a reliable mechanic for an evaluation, not a guy at a tire store. Just my 2 cents ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, I would have to agree. Either stick with a Caddy dealer/shop or go to a local mom and pop shop that thrive off of word of mouth advertising.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not that I dont think Goodyear knows anything. I think they can do some things. The rest of my family takes their cars to them so their pretty well trusted in the fam. I just think with the issues im having that Goodyear just doesnt have the experience on it. And as far as the warranty company willing to pay the $1,100 for Goodyear to fix the oil leak verses the dealers $2,300. I couldnt shell out that kinda cash. But I would very much prefer them to do it because they specialize in Cadillacs. But as of right now, Goodyear cannont see anything wrong with anything else that was stated bad by the dealer (and 3 of the 4 I can vouch for). I just think im going to get screwed by this warranty company because the other stuff will go completely bad just after the warranty is up.
Thanks
MacK

·
Registered
3 Posts
For starters we all know the dealer charges a arm and a leg with a couple drops of blood. However they have seen these concerns time and time again and know which direction to go in to solve them. If you really love your caddy you should find a caddy tech who works on the side on someone who works or has worked on caddys. My tech works on caddys and when he works on mine I watch and learn from everything he does. Your water pump, check the belt for looseness, if so change belt or by a new water pump $65 aftermarket. Better now than when your on the road and it goes and your screwed. Your blower moter is going so change that as well. The blower is made of plastic and it will go on you soon. Remember aftermarket! The dealer will rob you with your eyes open for the parts and labor for that one. Your power steering. I have the same problem right now in tight parking as well and I was told the same thing that it's going. I'm just going to have it changed to be on the safe side. The oil problem I have not had so can't speak on it. Yet. Remember though you gotta pay the cost to be the boss. It's not a car it's a "Cadillac". But don't stress yourself or your pockets unless you got money to blow. If you do send some my way. lol!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
As for the Oil Leak, trust me if it isn't leaking alot but just seeping a little
I would not have it fixed. I had the seepage on my 95 STS fixed before the
warranty ran out. The cost for labor and parts that the insurance didn't cover
came to $1043.80. Like I said if it's not LEAKING just seepage leave it alone.
Good Luck
p.s.
The Cadillac dealer charged $1685.02 + $1032.80 = $2728.82

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the oil leak is being fixed as we speak, well actually tomorrow till tuesday (by goodyear though). Only thing I have to pay is $20 for oil and filter. As far as everything else, because goodyear cant find anything wrong (do the the fact they arent familiar with cadillacs), nothings getting changed. Im just trying to get all little problems (some big) done before my warranties up. For the water pump, its just an annoying ticking untill the car warms up. And the blower motor only makes noise when its 90+ degrees out and the ac is on. It was replaced 7 or so months ago. And isnt the blower motor a hard thing to replace?

MacK

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
MacKiNBacK said:
Well the oil leak is being fixed as we speak, well actually tomorrow till tuesday (by goodyear though). Only thing I have to pay is $20 for oil and filter. As far as everything else, because goodyear cant find anything wrong (do the the fact they arent familiar with cadillacs), nothings getting changed. Im just trying to get all little problems (some big) done before my warranties up. For the water pump, its just an annoying ticking untill the car warms up. And the blower motor only makes noise when its 90+ degrees out and the ac is on. It was replaced 7 or so months ago. And isnt the blower motor a hard thing to replace?

MacK
Just my 2¢

First...a warranty is a warranty plain and simple. Unless the warranty is written to exclude Cadillac as an authorized repair station, then you had that option to exercise under the terms of the agreement. You may also have consulted, Chevrolet, Buick, or GMC dealerships for that matter. The wording in the contract is the only legal binder you have. I strongly suggest that you have a local contract attorney review your warranty. It is my personal opinion that you were railroaded by the insurer in an effort to reduce expense. You did not have to comply with their request unless it was specifically written into the warranty contract.

The diagnostic equipment used by non-dealerships is likely through an All-Data link. All-Data is fairly good for what they are, but in no way analogous to a dealership maintenance and diagnostic network team.

I am not suggesting that your local Good-Year maintenance facility is incompetent, but in your own words, they are not familiar with Cadillac. That alone is enough to suggest a compromise of services.

I am also not suggesting that your local Cadillac dealer is 100% correct with their diagnosis of suggested repairs. However, after the suggested repair work is completed, you will be satisfied, or your complaint will be addressed by Cadillac. I can not with confidence, hold that truth to Good-Year.

I sincerely hope that you are happy with the oil leak repair but in the future, do not compromise yourself or your car to the hands of people with a tight grip as their only concern. I further suggest that you seek legal counsel before any more work is done under the existing contract. The $200 dollars you spent on diagnostic fees would have been better spent on a contract attorney. Now that you have learned a very sensitive lesson, please walk forward with confidence knowing that you trust your car and the safety of your family only to those who are trained experts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am a Cadillac certified technician--I work for a cadilac dealer---I do not agree with what dealerships charge either(and believe me it doesn't go to the tech!!), but I would not have it done anywhere else---your leak will return, I would bet on it. These northstars are very finicky(all aluminum), and if the rear main seal, or the channel plate are not installed correctly(and with the right sealer) it will return guaranteed. If it was any other repair,(hub, power steering pump, etc.) I would say have it done at the Goodyear center, but not this CRITICAL repair. Also, the dealer will make it right if it does leak again, I would doubt Goodyear would. Just my two cents-- Thanks, SUPERCREW632

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Supercrew632 said:
I am a Cadillac certified technician--I work for a cadilac dealer---I do not agree with what dealerships charge either(and believe me it doesn't go to the tech!!), but I would not have it done anywhere else---your leak will return, I would bet on it. These northstars are very finicky(all aluminum), and if the rear main seal, or the channel plate are not installed correctly(and with the right sealer) it will return guaranteed. If it was any other repair,(hub, power steering pump, etc.) I would say have it done at the Goodyear center, but not this CRITICAL repair. Also, the dealer will make it right if it does leak again, I would doubt Goodyear would. Just my two cents-- Thanks, SUPERCREW632
I believe that I covered your comments in my previous post, but thanks for your support.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
91Texas I would like to thank you for your input. I would like to say I believe I am the type of person that can easily be taken advantage of, and I need to learn to avoid it. Your words have inspired me to pursue further action. I have not heard further from Goodyear about the other problems Cadillac stated as bad. One of the issues is kind of worrying as far as safety is concerned, the power steering pump. I can see that causing an accident if it did go unless I am wrong? I dont think Goodyear hooked it up to the diagnostics, because from what ive been told, it just seems like theyve just test driving it trying to make the symptoms happen. But I will see what my father thinks about consulting a legal counsultant. Also will get my warranty papers from my car and read them over. But if I do go through with this I am just worried that maybe the dealer stated things wrong that arent really wrong thinking the warranty company would just ok the work to be done.

MacK

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
MacKiNBacK said:
91Texas I would like to thank you for your input. I would like to say I believe I am the type of person that can easily be taken advantage of, and I need to learn to avoid it. Your words have inspired me to pursue further action. I have not heard further from Goodyear about the other problems Cadillac stated as bad. One of the issues is kind of worrying as far as safety is concerned, the power steering pump. I can see that causing an accident if it did go unless I am wrong? I dont think Goodyear hooked it up to the diagnostics, because from what ive been told, it just seems like theyve just test driving it trying to make the symptoms happen. But I will see what my father thinks about consulting a legal counsultant. Also will get my warranty papers from my car and read them over. But if I do go through with this I am just worried that maybe the dealer stated things wrong that arent really wrong thinking the warranty company would just ok the work to be done.

MacK
Addressing dealer just wants to make money from insurance:

Some dealerships ARE like that, but most are concerned more with comeback. A good dealership wants a happy customer...yeah...I know.... but they really do. They don't want any flack, especially legal flack, so they tend to err on the cautious side more often than not.

Addressing what "could" happen:

I don't intend to alarm you but a leaky power steering unit can not only fail unexpectedly but the leaking fluid could also cause an engine compartment fire. This does not happen with any regularity to make it a problem, but it "could" happen.

A contrast of workmanship:

Joe Blow takes his Lincoln into the dealer for a leaky power steering unit. Dealer claims the unit and hoses need to be replaced. Repair estimate $400.00 USD. Joe Blow is really outraged at the cost!

Joe Blow takes is Lincoln to Quick-Fix and they claim they can tap a new fitting into the pump and replace the hose. Repair estimate $160.00 USD.

There is no way a good dealership would compromise the integrity of a high pressure system by "fussin" with it. They will replace it with new or a quality rebuilt unit along with new pressure hoses. Why? Because the dealership knows better (through experience) than to chance a liabilty.

Side Note:

Isn't Enterprise the rental company that advertises they will bring the car of your choice to your home or place of employment? Next time, INSIST on the price...they will find you the car, or allow the same price on an upgrade. It is not YOUR problem they rented out the only $35 dollar a day car they had, and this assuming they did have at least one. Don't get mad, but just tell them that you only want to rent a car, not manage their business for them. So either they get you the car for $35 a day or you will back charge them, your professional rate of $225 per hour to find an Enterprise location that does have the subcompact car at $35 a day and will have it delivered to your home by 5 PM. Let them know not to dream for a moment that you can't or will not do it. Now, is it still worth it to you challange me and pay my fees, or just charge me the price you advertise? You will be compensated for the inconvenience. That won't help you now, but when you return the rental, ask to see the records for all the $35 a day cars that arrived and departed for a week prior to, and the days during your inconvenience. See if they are willing to renegotiate your rental agreement to the $35 a day rate.

Like I wrote earlier, be confident. Don't LET other people pee on your birthday cake because they are too lazy to use the restroom. You don't need to get mad, just be confident! Clerk rhymes with jerk and 9 times out of 10 that is whom you will be dealing with.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the steering pump, I wasent getting a leak. The only leak was the oil leak.The pump thought ive been getting some binding in parking lot maneuvers. Also rmp's would go down. I dont know what exactly is going wrong, but the dealer says its loosing pressure. Not sure if that changes anything. Im kind of thinking I should take it to yet another dealer or cadillac shop. I havent yet talked with my dad about possibly pursuing legal action or now.

MacK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
MacKiNBacK