Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first let me say that I love this 04 cts! I have red line with black interior, 1SC, with pretty much all the options (dvd, xm).

The one thing I have noticed is an awful lot of the interior trim pieces seem to make noise. And not on bumps, just driving along.

For example, there was an annoying tick/buzz in the lower center dash. Wedging a piece of plastic just below the ashtray where it meets the shift console seems to solve it.

Now I hear some noises from the doors. Sounds like the windows are not set right. If you lower the window just a tad, the noise stops. Drivers and passenger side both do it.

Soooo, if anyone has heard of a fix, please let me know.

The current solution is to crank up the audio system!

Paul

·
Registered
2014 Standard SrX grey/black 2006 GTO
1,795 Posts
The top of your doorframes are rubbing against the door seals.
If you get in the backseat you can actually push the upper door
outward.
Only thing that will fix it is some silicone on the gaskets

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Classic GM..... Just slapping it together......

Take it to the dealer and demand a new car...... :D Seriously, they shouldnt be that way..... My 94 Q45 doesnt have a rattle on it, and its 10 years/123k old!!!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know this is going to sound weird but check your tire pressure. My friends CTS had this same issue and he checked his tire pressure and it was low in one tire. He corrected it and has not had the window issue since. Honest!!

Also the factory that makes the CTS has recieved industry awards for quality so don't listen to anyone that tried to tell you this is GM slapping thing together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rueben44 said:
I know this is going to sound weird but check your tire pressure. My friends CTS had this same issue and he checked his tire pressure and it was low in one tire. He corrected it and has not had the window issue since. Honest!!

Also the factory that makes the CTS has recieved industry awards for quality so don't listen to anyone that tried to tell you this is GM slapping thing together.
Waxing the door jambs (at the top) has solved the door noise problem. Just the hard rubber moulding rubbing on the metal as the car flexes slightly.

Still working on the center dash noise.

Paul

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 04 CTS thats about 2 weeks old. I noticed I have a slight squeek every so often from the dash(Pass Side) Not a big deal though. This thing is alot quieter than my finaces 04 Grand Cherokee. I have a nervous breakdown everytime I drive that thing. Noises from everywhere. But Chrysler is known for that!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't have any of the noises that you guys have but it sound like there is a harnest inside the console that is not strapped down and moves against something as you are driving.

Also I am glad that your door noise problem was not a big deal. I new it was not an issue of GM slapping things together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rueben44 said:
I don't have any of the noises that you guys have but it sound like there is a harnest inside the console that is not strapped down and moves against something as you are driving.

Also I am glad that your door noise problem was not a big deal. I new it was not an issue of GM slapping things together.
I agree. It comes from the very bottom right of the cluster (where the asytray meets the shift console). In fact, if you wedge your finger in there just right, the noise stops. I had a plastic bottle cap in there that was working fine, till I went to the car wash and they pulled it out!

I was trying to take apart the console, but without the manual, I can't figure it out. Last time I checked the manuals from Helm were not available yet.

Paul

·
Registered
543 Posts
paulct said:
I agree. It comes from the very bottom right of the cluster (where the asytray meets the shift console). In fact, if you wedge your finger in there just right, the noise stops. I had a plastic bottle cap in there that was working fine, till I went to the car wash and they pulled it out!

I was trying to take apart the console, but without the manual, I can't figure it out. Last time I checked the manuals from Helm were not available yet.

Paul
I have an 04 1SC CTS with the same squeak in the same location. I have also noticed that if you to press your finger between the area where the center console meets the raised area of the passenger dash the noise stops. If you find a fix let me know.

To those spamming about the Infinity G35's quality, do more research the truth is out there.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t117127.html

The G35 even has a TSB for rattles

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: INFINITI
Model: G35
Year: 2003
Service Bulletin Number: 02028A
Summary Description:
CREAK OR RATTLE NOISE FROM THE BASE OF THE WINDSHIELD. *TT

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
darrelld said:
I have an 04 1SC CTS with the same squeak in the same location. I have also noticed that if you to press your finger between the area where the center console meets the raised area of the passenger dash the noise stops. If you find a fix let me know.
Yes, I had posted the "finger fix" either here or *********! Also, a poland spring water bottle top does it also. Ditto, if you find out the cause, please post!

Paul

·
Registered
543 Posts
The problem is not constant on some days you hear nothing no matter what type of road you are driving. Other days the problems appears in the morning and then disappears in the evening.

The time I took this to the dealer the noise was not there.

·
Registered
543 Posts
elwesso said:
Classic GM..... Just slapping it together......

Take it to the dealer and demand a new car...... :D Seriously, they shouldnt be that way..... My 94 Q45 doesnt have a rattle on it, and its 10 years/123k old!!!!!
Neither did my 74 GTO or my 93 Z28, so your point is....

I have a better one for you that's more recent;

Consumer Report: Nissan Recall

Oct 30, 2003 4:15 pm US/Eastern
PHILADELPHIA (KYW) Nissan Motors is announcing a worldwide recall of over two million cars, including some of their most popular models. Consumer Reporter Paul Moriarty has more.

The Nissan recall affects several different models manufactured over the last three years and even includes the company's Infiniti luxury line. More than 800,000 cars are being recalled in the United States alone.

The problem is defective engine sensors, that could cause the vehicle to stall at any time, even while driving and after it stalls. The engine may not restart.

The recall affects some top-rated models including the 2001 through 2003 Nissan Altima, the 2003 Infiniti G35 and the sporty 350Z, one of Car and Driver's ten best cars for 2003.

Also recalled, the 2002 through 2003 Nissan Sentra, 2001 through 2003 Maxima, the 2003 Murano. The recall also includes several additional Infiniti models, including the 2001 through 2003 I35, 2001 and 2002 Infiniti Q45 and the 2003 M45.

Nissan dealers will replace the defective engine sensors. The repair takes about an hour.

You should get the part replaced as soon as possible because, even though there have been no accidents or injuries so far, the possibility of your car suddenly stalling on a busy highway poses a very dangerous situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I made a few minor mods that seem to have made the car a bit quieter.

Throw down a couple of heavy duty floor mats $20 from Costco or Sams Club.

Armor All (sp?) the rubber seals $3

Dynamat the rear deck. About $30 - $50. Easy to do it yourself. Use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften up the material and get the adhesive working. It also makes a BIG improvement on the sound of the rear subwoofer.

Tint the windows. Gives the windows a tighter seal and adds thickness to the window. Thicker windows is a trick Lexus use to make their cars quieter. About $100 - $200 for all windows except windshield.

·
Registered
103 Posts
bigkite said:
I made a few minor mods that seem to have made the car a bit quieter.

Throw down a couple of heavy duty floor mats $20 from Costco or Sams Club.

Armor All (sp?) the rubber seals $3

Dynamat the rear deck. About $30 - $50. Easy to do it yourself. Use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften up the material and get the adhesive working. It also makes a BIG improvement on the sound of the rear subwoofer.

Tint the windows. Gives the windows a tighter seal and adds thickness to the window. Thicker windows is a trick Lexus use to make their cars quieter. About $100 - $200 for all windows except windshield.
What is dynamat? :confused: I'd be happy to get a big subwoofer improvement.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dynamat

It is an overpriced acoustic dampening material that does wonders for reducing noise and vibration.

I have used it on several cars and it works very well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rapid rabbit said:
Well, some people are way more sensitive to little noises than others. I'd bet you lunch I could find a noise in your 15,000 mile CTS. It just may not bother you!

As far as taking it back to the dealer, that is really not helpful advice. that is why we are HERE, seeing if we can find help, because for the most part dealers are useless unless something is falling off, or sets a trouble code in the computer!! Imagine me wasting the time to drop it off, try and explain that I have this very intermittent rattle in the lower right of the dash. Here is how the service ticket would look:

1) cust complains noise in dash
Action: Road tested car, unable to duplicate. No action taken.

Paul

·
Registered
ATS AWD Luxury Turbo
150 Posts
paulct said:
Well, some people are way more sensitive to little noises than others. I'd bet you lunch I could find a noise in your 15,000 mile CTS. It just may not bother you!

As far as taking it back to the dealer, that is really not helpful advice. that is why we are HERE, seeing if we can find help, because for the most part dealers are useless unless something is falling off, or sets a trouble code in the computer!! Imagine me wasting the time to drop it off, try and explain that I have this very intermittent rattle in the lower right of the dash. Here is how the service ticket would look:

1) cust complains noise in dash
Action: Road tested car, unable to duplicate. No action taken.

Paul
You presume too much. I am a dealers worst nightmare. I'm hard to please, and I know cars, and I'm not nice when I get bad service. You could NOT find a rattle or squeek in my 15,000 mile CTS - except for the occasional seatbelt reel squeek in cold weather, and I'll handle that myself when I get to it.

It may be blind luck, but my dealer would keep the car long enough to duplicate my complaint, and I'd be driving a current year SLS while he was working on it. If your dealer gives bad service, go to another dealer. You will not get different results doing the same thing.

BTW. We all aren't here for the same reason.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts