Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Devilles: 04 Base,01 base,01 DHS,92 (parents)
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, My Uncle is letting me drive his car for 1-2 weeks to look at a few issues. This is the same 2001 Eldorado ETC (currently 95470 miles) that I asked about the crankshaft position sensors last year. – thank you for the help then….

I got the car yesterday on easter but didn’t run codes until this morning. Many of these are battery related, so once I got them all written down, I have cleared the codes to see which ones come back. (none so far drove his car to client today for 9 to 10 miles). Only 1 current code, P0420 does concern me, I will look at the o2 sensor before and after to see output voltages, and look at catalytic converter for partial clogging…. I was planning on cleaning throttle body, changing any fluids that may need changing, looking at spark plugs, etc.

P0340 H – Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit
P0420 C – Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0560 H - System Voltage
P0562 H – Voltage Low
P0621 H - Generator Terminal Circuit
P1106 H – MAP Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage
P1571 H – TCS PWM Circuit No Frequency
B1552 H – Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
B1161 H – Lamp Circuit Failure
B1327 H – Device Power #1 (Low Current #1) Circuit Low
B1552 H - Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
B1558 H – BCM EPROM Checksum Error
B1982 H – Device Power 1 Circuit High
B1983 H – Device Power 1 Circuit Low
U1004 H – Loss of Communication
B2119 H – Lumbar Forward Sensor Failed
B0856 H – Battery 2 out of range

My Uncle was having battery/alternator issues, replaced battery. Still had on and off issues with alternator not charging battery. Shop thought alternator bad. Week ago, battery taken out of car (car not at home, car dies on road while driving, needed towing couldn't jump as alternator not charging/running electrical). Battery taken home charged overnight, taken back to car and reinstalled. Car driven home. Few days later, seems that alternator is now charging battery…. I think my uncle accidentally fixed the short that was causing battery to not charge. Where is(are) a good place(s) to look for a loose connection that I can clean up and reset with good connection?

I will update after I get throttle body cleaned tonight, and if any codes reappear after I cleared them this morning.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
Hello all, My Uncle is letting me drive his car for 1-2 weeks to look at a few issues. This is the same 2001 Eldorado ETC (currently 95470 miles) that I asked about the crankshaft position sensors last year. – thank you for the help then….

I got the car yesterday on easter but didn’t run codes until this morning. Many of these are battery related, so once I got them all written down, I have cleared the codes to see which ones come back. (none so far drove his car to client today for 9 to 10 miles). Only 1 current code, P0420 does concern me, I will look at the o2 sensor before and after to see output voltages, and look at catalytic converter for partial clogging…. I was planning on cleaning throttle body, changing any fluids that may need changing, looking at spark plugs, etc.

P0340 H – Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit
P0420 C – Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0560 H - System Voltage
P0562 H – Voltage Low
P0621 H - Generator Terminal Circuit
P1106 H – MAP Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage
P1571 H – TCS PWM Circuit No Frequency
B1552 H – Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
B1161 H – Lamp Circuit Failure
B1552 H - Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
B1558 H – BCM EPROM Checksum Error
B1982 H – Device Power 1 Circuit High
U1004 H – Loss of Communication
B2119 H – Lumbar Forward Sensor Failed
B0856 H – Battery 2 out of range

My Uncle was having battery/alternator issues, replaced battery. Still had on and off issues with alternator not charging battery. Shop thought alternator bad. Week ago, battery taken out of car (car not at home, car dies on road while driving, needed towing couldn't jump as alternator not charging/running electrical). Battery taken home charged overnight, taken back to car and reinstalled. Car driven home. Few days later, seems that alternator is now charging battery…. I think my uncle accidentally fixed the short that was causing battery to not charge. Where is(are) a good place(s) to look for a loose connection that I can clean up and reset with good connection?

I will update after I get throttle body cleaned tonight, and if any codes reappear after I cleared them this morning.
========================
probably needs a new cat

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very interesting I'm driving around I don't have any codes yet I've gone 17 miles total. I turn on the radio and turn on the heater and air conditioner or whatever and i watch the volts slowly go down I turn off the radio turn off the heater air conditioner and the colts slowly go back up. turn the lights on same thing. Volts slowly go down then slowly go up. I'm thinking I have a drain somewhere a power during obviously any ideas?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
You definitely have a charging issue. What is the voltage displayed with the engine running?

·
19,254 Posts
Very interesting I'm driving around I don't have any codes yet I've gone 17 miles total. I turn on the radio and turn on the heater and air conditioner or whatever and i watch the volts slowly go down I turn off the radio turn off the heater air conditioner and the colts slowly go back up. turn the lights on same thing. Volts slowly go down then slowly go up. I'm thinking I have a drain somewhere a power during obviously any ideas?
===========================
have the alternator tested

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
P0420 usually points to a bad CAT, but a weak B1S2 could also trigger that code. It would definitely be a good idea to verify that the sensor is functioning properly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
MoistCabbage said:
You definitely have a charging issue. What is the voltage displayed with the engine running?
This morning it was around 14.0 14.1 14.2 this afternoon it was 13.6 through 13.9 this evening it was 13.0 13.1 13.2 I did some more experimentation with the lights and driving around this evening after cleaning the throttlebody and I'm looking at my torque readout. I'm sitting here in my driveway I have the o2 bank 1 sensor 2 o2 bank 1 sensor 2 O2 bank 2 sensor 1 on the torque screen. I can watch the numbers going up and down but I really don't understand what they mean. Is there a stickie that tells would tell me what numbers mean and how to read them? And what to look for? ---------- After the throttlebody cleaning and driving around I now have a P0174 current. Fuel trim system lean bank 2 And the others: B1161 history B1327 history B1552 history B1558 history B1982 history B1983 history B2119 history B0856 history U1064 history -this is new - .result of loss of communication with the dash.
P0533 current this is new. A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input

Most of these if not all of them are repeats of what is above I'm doing this on my phone so I can't cut-and-paste the entries are posted and then go inside the house and cut and paste the descriptions of the new ones

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I played around with it for several days finally decided to change the alternator did that all the problems one away then I also flush the radiator because it had not been done change the spark plugs and lots of other fun little things that my uncle's car needed anyway girl back together drove around the block ran like a champ and I'm on my way out on a date and the P 0420 came back. So what should the oxygen sensor oh either two or three look like I'm driving talking to my phone so I'm not looking at it specifically what should the ranges be? From what I remember reading the oxygen sensors do a varying amounts of voltage based upon what it is detecting before during and after the catalytic converter so it might be a catalytic converter that is starting to go bad what can I do to test other than watch the O2 sensor's in what range should they be

·
19,254 Posts
I played around with it for several days finally decided to change the alternator did that all the problems one away then I also flush the radiator because it had not been done change the spark plugs and lots of other fun little things that my uncle's car needed anyway girl back together drove around the block ran like a champ and I'm on my way out on a date and the P 0420 came back. So what should the oxygen sensor oh either two or three look like I'm driving talking to my phone so I'm not looking at it specifically what should the ranges be? From what I remember reading the oxygen sensors do a varying amounts of voltage based upon what it is detecting before during and after the catalytic converter so it might be a catalytic converter that is starting to go bad what can I do to test other than watch the O2 sensor's in what range should they be
================================
the P 0420 came back
as I said -
probably needs a new cat

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
So what should the oxygen sensor oh either two or three look like I'm driving talking to my phone so I'm not looking at it specifically what should the ranges be?

"An oxygen sensor will typically generate up to about 0.9 volts when the fuel mixture is rich and there is little unburned oxygen in the exhaust. When the mixture is lean, the sensor's output voltage will drop down to about 0.1 volts. When the air/fuel mixture is balanced or at the equilibrium point of about 14.7 to 1, the sensor will read around 0.45 volts.

When the computer receives a rich signal (high voltage) from the O2 sensor, it leans the fuel mixture to reduce the sensor's reading. When the O2 sensor reading goes lean (low voltage), the computer reverses again making the fuel mixture go rich. This constant flip-flopping back and forth of the fuel mixture occurs with different speeds depending on the fuel system. The transition rate is slowest on engines with feedback carburetors, typically once per second at 2500 rpm. Engines with throttle body injection are somewhat faster (2 to 3 times per second at 2500 rpm), while engines with multiport injection are the fastest (5 to 7 times per second at 2500 rpm)."

http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/understanding_oxygen_sensors.asp

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I looked at that for a day read a bunch of stuff and decided to clear the codes. drove it for two days no codes returned. and then gave it back to my uncle so I got my Deville back. Fixed a lot of his little nuances and I may have stated earlier change the spark plugs which had 95,000 miles on them oil changed track down a bunch of little not necessarily errors but clean several of the contacts on the electrical devices throughout the system so that the corrosion is no longer there. Flushed out radiator with distiller water and put probably 60/40 dex cool back in as that is what was in there. (Don't worry, no pellets added, lol). put the alternator in as I believe I stated. Don't tell him but I did do a wide-open throttle one night to help clean her out. And she runs smooth and I'm a little jealous because his car the top speed is 150 it's the 2001 Eldorado ETC where as my Deville base model 2001 is limited to 112.

Thanks all for the help. I'll keep an eye on it to see if that catalytic converter code comes back, when I was driving the eldorado, I didn't notice any loss of power....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again guys I talked to my uncle the other day and he has been telling everyone he knows about how much better his car runs since I played with it. Thank you guys for your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts