Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the road today listening to XM radio and the radio switch to FM. When I pressed the band button to make it go back to XM1, it is not there anymore nor is XM2. Any ideas? :hmm:

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
88 Posts
It'll be back. Not sure why but mine does that too. I even had my radio replaced. Still does it every now and then.

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts
My "Disc" bottom just stopped working and I just had the unit replaced a few months ago. I can access CDs via the menu button but I will be taking it back since my warrenty is up in Dec.

·
Registered
2006 Infrared CTS-V
821 Posts
Replacing the radio does not fix it they have to replace the xm module. There is a tsb on this if they are a good dealer they will find when you steer them to it.

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
quickest way to fix this is to just disconnect the battery for 5 seconds, then re-connect.

it sucks, but it does the trick.

·
Registered
06' CTS-V
128 Posts
My radio will do this a couple of times a week, but only on start-up. If I then turn it off for a couple of minutes it will reboot and magically reappear. Go figure. My service tech said I can get the radio replaced under warranty but I now wonder if that will fix it after reading the other threads.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
it might, but it'll just start happening again more than likely.

as was mentioned, this problem is NOT the radio, or the nav unit, or anything in that area. it's the XM module, located at the back left of the car (below the left rear sail panel). When you turn the ignition on, the car does a self-test of all 'systems'. If one of them doesn't respond, then the car disables it until it runs the next test. So when you turn the ignition on, if the XM module malfunctions, the car just doesn't show it (both XM1 and XM2) in the radio display. If it does sense an XM module, then it will show XM1 and XM2. This is because some cars don't have the XM module, so thus they won't show the XM channels on the display

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to disconnect the battery tonite to get it back, but should I also replace the XM module or is this an isolated incident?

·
Registered
2006 cts-v
31 Posts
yeah, happens to me sometimes as well, but only on startup as others have said. usually comes back the next time i start the car..

·
Registered
78 Deville 10 CTS-V Sedan M6 10 SRX Turbo Premium
252 Posts
You could also pull the Audio fuse under the rear seat for about a minute, that is if you don't want to fullaround with the battery.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could also pull the Audio fuse under the rear seat for about a minute, that is if you don't want to fullaround with the battery.
I will try that first. Sounds like it would be slightly easier than disconnecting the battery.

Thanks to all for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
2006 Infrared CTS-V
821 Posts
I would say replace xm module if you can get dealer to do so there is a tsb on it and it says it is random. I have not tried as it is not my d.d. and always was working when i went to dealer. It has taken several start ups and as long as 24 hours to come back. The answer really depends on how bad is it annoying you and how much warranty you have left I have till may 2011 so not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would say replace xm module if you can get dealer to do so there is a tsb on it and it says it is random. I have not tried as it is not my d.d. and always was working when i went to dealer. It has taken several start ups and as long as 24 hours to come back. The answer really depends on how bad is it annoying you and how much warranty you have left I have till may 2011 so not a big deal to me.
I purchased GMPP last year, so I know that I still have the extended warranty. Would be interesting to see if GM would cover under GMPP since it is electronic in nature. I know I inquired to the dealer about the flaking of the radio buttons before I purchased the extended, and they indicated that would not be covered under GMPP. Good thing that was replaced before factory warranty ran its course.

I just took the battery cable off and everything is back to normal.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
There is a bulletin on that but it depends on the part number of the XM receiver. That is likely the cause.
GMPP should cover it, if you need the tsb number let me know and I'll get it.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a bulletin on that but it depends on the part number of the XM receiver. That is likely the cause.
GMPP should cover it, if you need the tsb number let me know and I'll get it.
I would gladly take the tsb number if it isn't too much trouble.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
also, chances the dealer is going to replace anything is rare unless they see the problem. with my luck, every time i've wanted to take it to the dealer, it magically fixes itself.

these days it happens once in a blue moon (knock on wood). disconnecting the battery now takes literally less than 3 minutes. 1 minute to pop the hood and get the socket wrench, another 30 seconds to remove the negative battery cable, wait 10 seconds, 30 seconds to reinstall and tighten, 30 seconds to close hood and put sockets away, and you're done.

i'm not sure where the fuses are in this car, but that may end up being more trouble than its worth, since you'd probably have to position yourself in the car's already-small interior so you can look under the console and find the right fuse.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Show them this:

#06-08-44-011C: UAV Navigation Radio Loss of XM Satellite Radio (Replace Digital Radio Receiver) - (Jan 31, 2008)

Subject: UAV Navigation Radio Loss of XM Satellite Radio (Replace Digital Radio Receiver)

Models: 2005-2006 Cadillac CTS, CTS-V

with Navigational Radio (RPO UAV) and XM Satellite Radio (RPO U2K)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to notify dealers that parts are no longer on restriction. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-44-011B (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers with the UAV Navigation radio may comment that the XM band is not present at times at vehicle start-up. When this occurs, only selections AM, FM1 and FM2 are available.

Cause
The XM receiver is removed as a band selection on the radio due to a loss of communication from the XM Digital Radio Receiver (DRR). The communication is lost due to a "busy" state being reported from the XM DRR, even though no transmission is currently taking place. The software in the XM DRR does not currently prevent this condition from occurring. A combination of heavy class 2 bus traffic and queuing of low priority XM Traffic Data messages can increase the likelihood that this condition will occur.

Correction
DO NOT REPLACE THE RADIO OR SATELLITE ANTENNA.

If the Digital Radio Receiver (DRR) currently installed in the vehicle is P/N 15847358, continue with diagnosing the issue using the XM radio information found in Service Information (SI). A replacement DRR may not be needed.

If the DRR is other than P/N 15847358, the DRR will require replacement.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Digital Radio Receiver

1 - 18 of 18 Posts