second: nothing......slowed down and tried first: YES! I pulled of the highway
and checked fluid etc....everthing is ok....reverse and first gear works
What could be wrong?? It's a 500 cui and Th425 FWD
Thanks!

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
I'm not familiar enough to really troubleshoot your problem, but...

The speedometer cable gets a signal from the governor assembly of the transmission, which contains the speedometer drive gear. The speedo cable goes from the transmission to the cruise control, then to the speedometer. The speedometer cable from the transmission drives the transducer, and a cable from the transducer drives the speedometer. This is what connects your problems.

As said before, someone else here will be able to connect this information to your problems more, but it seems to me like a speedometer cable, or possibly the vacuum modulator (controls downshifting) I remember when I started my project the speedometer cable going from the transmission to cruise control was burnt through from being so close to the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks! My friend also told me this, we're gonna take a look
at the govenor today and see whats up...
Other than that the car runs nice and has VERY good power...
I keep chirping the tires every time i take off...have to get used to 550 lbs and FWD:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, pulled the govenor, the plastic gear was in two pieces....does anybody know where i can find a new one??? and is it the same govenor as in a th400??

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts
JimsEldorado said:
Ok, pulled the govenor, the plastic gear was in two pieces....does anybody know where i can find a new one??? and is it the same govenor as in a th400??
A sturdy length of chain and a t-bone steak should keep the dogs at bay as you whisk into the yard at night...

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
JTraik said:
A sturdy length of chain and a t-bone steak should keep the dogs at bay as you whisk into the yard at night...
Hahahaha

I would think that your best bet is to hit the scrap yards. The governor is easy to pull, as you know, so it won't be hard if you cna locate one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) Belive it or not but a company that sells american car parts here in Sweden had the plastic gears in stock! ordered 2 of them.
I really hope this will solve my problem....if not, do you guys know if its possible to pull the tranny without pulling the engine? Looks like it is:)

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts
Yep 6 bolts off the block... drop driveshaft, then drop crossmember, slide back and watch out! (Dont forget linkages and wiring!)

·
Registered
1976 FLEETWOOD brougham
355 Posts
What company was it that had them on stock h... äh vilken firma var det som hade delen hemma?

Jolle.

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
Jim, it's very possible. It's all in my shop manual for the '76, and should be the same for you. Basically you just have to unbolt the mount from the tranny (not the crossmember) and unbolt the tranny from the block, and from the diff. Make sure you disconnect the grounding straps, vacuum line, etc etc. and drop it. I used a floor jack with a board on top of the pumpkin cup, but if you had to be all right about you get a tranny jack. The tranny doesn't weigh all that much either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
terrible one said:
Jim, it's very possible. It's all in my shop manual for the '76, and should be the same for you. Basically you just have to unbolt the mount from the tranny (not the crossmember) and unbolt the tranny from the block, and from the diff. Make sure you disconnect the grounding straps, vacuum line, etc etc. and drop it. I used a floor jack with a board on top of the pumpkin cup, but if you had to be all right about you get a tranny jack. The tranny doesn't weigh all that much either.
Ok, thanks! Hopefully the gear will solve the problem though:crying2:

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts
JimsEldorado said:
Dont forget: Eldorado=FWD.....still possible?
:canttalk: Sorry wasnt paying attention... it should be about the same work... maybe a little more with the cv's not really though.

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
A way to avoid this failure in the future is to never drop the transmission in gear when the engine is on high idle. The governor gear gets hammered when doing that. Driveline play maked it worse.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New gear is in.....It solved my problems, now it changes gears like
a champ, I also rerouted som funny looking vacum hoses to the carb and adjusted the idle, now it runs VERY smooth! I REALLY love this car!!!:halo:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes it is, I got the price down and decided to buy it, installing a new exhaust on thursday, thats nr1 right now, I cant stand the way it sounds....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts