Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SRX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I were on the road traveling after he has returned from Afghanistan. My new SRX was a gift from him while we was gone. He lost his fob while we were on the road traveling and he has no clue how he lost it, he still had the key, but you all know we don't even need that dang key! Anyway, we are thankful that I was carrying my fob with us. So we were not stranded, but now what do we need to do to get another fob, I guess they are going to charge us an are and a leg for another one. Dang it. We are totally retired now and we thought we were doing a great thing buying my SRX and paying for it before he retired from the Navy.....oh we have worked so hard to get to this place in life....

So can ya'll tell me what we are in store for, what's it going to take to get this fob replaced?

Thank you all in advance for your advice. My SRX is a 2014, we made the purchase last December it was brand new then, but we paid for it so that we would be debt free when he retired from the Navy.

Again, I thank you for your advice.

God Bless

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac SRX, 2010 SRX 2.8T Premium AWD
26 Posts
Well there is not really cheap option for this I am sad to report.

I would call a dealership find out what they would charge to make a new key and order a fob for you. (gulp)
the rough price for a fob looks like around 120.00 for a blank key and fob (an example below)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyless-entry-remote-autostart-smartkey-fob-2-OEM-smart-key-less-fab-phob-bob-/371218005296?fits=Make:Cadillac|Model:SRX

Some locksmiths have the equipment and the ability to program and cut the key for cheaper than the dealer so If you get the key you might get a cheaper rate to do the work.. (you need your current key at the time this is done as both keys are effectively reset to the unit) As well I have seen some used auto dealers with the ability to do the same at a much cheaper rate so some phone calls might lead you to a good lead.

you can also purchase a key and ask the dealer strictly the charge to reprogram and key cut as well though they might balk at not providing the key to you if you purchased elsewhere.

Sorry to hear of the loss.. I am hoping someone helps you out and it is a least costly solution for you.. good luck and let us know what ended up working for you.

·
Registered
SRX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the suggestion. The good news is we have the stinkin key, just not the important part! Ok, I will check Ebay and even the suggestion to call a locksmith. We didn't think of that. It's great to be retired, we aren't in a hurry to do anything!

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
Sometimes the purchasing dealer will honour a one time only key fob replacement for free. Mine did. (Though I haven't lost a key yet...)

·
Registered
2013 SRX Premium w/ Navigation
161 Posts
If you can find a compatible USED remote, it is very likely that it can be reprogrammed to your vehicle. It's still not what I'd call cheap, but it's less painful that full retail price.

Many on this forum will swear that reprogramming a remote can't be done. That information is not entirely accurate. It requires some relatively inexpensive assistance from FreshCarKeys.com in FL. You have to mail it to them, but when they return the remote, it can be reprogrammed to your vehicle.

I am in possession of a key fob that was originally programmed to a 2012 SRX, but now works with my 2013 SRX with no hinderance of functionality that I've found.

I had a '12 SRX, but was involved in a car accident where insurance considered the vehicle a total loss. I found the 2nd remote to my '12 a month or two after it had been hauled away. I bought a '13 SRX as a replacement vehicle and found that the '12 remote wouldn't program to it, no matter how many times I tried. After some research, I found out that fobs learn their cars at the same time the car learns the fob.

After some more research, I found FreshCarKeys.com, who said they could "revirginize" the fob for about $20. I mailed the remote to them and when they mailed it back, I was able to program the additional fob to my '13.

If your dealer won't do it for you free or inexpensively, I believe you can pick up a USED remote on ebay for about $US 45, then get it reprogrammed by FreshCarKeys.com for about $20 + postage. Nominally, it would be about 1/2 of the retail price.

You'll need to make sure any remote you purchase is compatible. You'll need the FCC number to determine that. Follow the directions in your manual for remote battery replacement to open the remote. I don't recall whether the FCC number is printed on the inside surface of the remote cover or whether it's printed on the computer chip inside the remote. It's likely that it will be very small letters.

Call FreshCarKeys.com & ask them if their gizmo can reprogram remotes with that FCC number & whether there are additional FCC numbers that are compatible.

Search for those FCC numbers on ebay to see what you can find and work with the FL guys to reset it.

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 2010 SRX/3.0L Premium/FWD/Platinum Ice/Shale
1,865 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts