Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a few questions

1)Does everyone buy the OEM GM ballast or get different company like Dorman,etc.
2)I had a lil condensation on same headlight, I think its related. Who has successfully sealed their headlamp & what did you do
3)Who has the link to the CBI burners, paging Mr.Soulsea (sp?)
4)bumper removal tut, too hard to search from my phone.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
Can't help you with most of the questions, I'm new to this generation.

On my 05 though I've bought off eBay before, OEM used ballast and much cheaper. I think you'd be looking at around $100 for a used ballast. Are you certain you lost the ballast and it isn't something else? When I was troubleshooting mine I swapped them from left to right to make sure the wiring and bulb were good before throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
All Escalade Premiums, '16 ESV, '13 ESV, '10 EXT
617 Posts
It's pretty rare for an OEM ballast to go out, I agree to do some further diagnostics to confirm that's it. What makes you certain it's not just a bulb or wiring? And yes, again these are rare to go out. If you do end up needing one though I have a spare ballast that's absolutely working that came with a headlight I bought for another project so once you know for sure shoot me a PM and I'll set you up.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for info guys, I only suspect its the ballast due to condensation being in same light. I hope I dont end up needing a ballast. I did order the bulbs from the retrofit source, i fig I would atleast give them a shot since I have to take bumper cover off anyway. This headlight went out driving to work, I turned the rocker switch to off and then back to auto and it came back on & worked fine for 2 days. Now it just turns on for about .5 second & immediately turns off.

·
Registered
'08 Esky
87 Posts
Please listen to me.Do not just buy a ballast.I just went through this same fiasco.The replacement ballast will go out also once condensation hits the connectors in the replacement ballast.The ballast is positioned at the bottom of the light so that water just drains right into the ballast connection(stupid GM).I also tried drilling a couple 1/4 inch holes in the top of the headlight to remove the moisture which actually worked but the replacement ballast went out also after 3 weeks.I bit the bullet and grabbed a good used headlamp assembly off ebay to resolve issue.Resealing the headlight also will not work.Tried that also.Condensation will still build up on a humid day while just sitting in your driveway.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that just ruined my fun, lol... Thanks for experience. How did you 'know' used replacement didnt have the moisture issue. Just curious when I browse for one not to buy someone else's headache. Mines can survive multiple carwashes, sitting in the rain.... but once I drive in rain for 20 minutes I get about 30% fogging over lenses starting near the projector. Mines is crystal clear other than that.

·
Registered
'08 Esky
87 Posts
I knew the replacement was good because an ebay seller sent me a second ballast out of good faith after that one burned out in about TWO weeks.I personally felt that something within the headlight wiring was bad.I made several attempts to make sure the headlight wiring was dry before I reconnected the replacement OEM ballasts.There are too many people having this condensation issue and the only fix is to find a GOOD used or new one that does not build
condensation.More than likely your headlight does NOT have a leak but if it does its really hard to find.I even filled the whole headlight up with water and let it sit facedown for several minutes and could not find a leak.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac Escalade
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to pull things apart and had got shown the truth why I had fog....

there is a severe crack on the rear :suspense: I also snagged a ballast at a local yard...I had no choice but to attempt to reseal this due to the local PD being ticket happy during my 2am trek to work. I did slap the CBI 66140 in while I had it apart, they look marvelous even with only 30 minutes of run time. Everything you hear about them is true.

OAN: it appeared previous owner had been behind headlight before,is Philips stock bulbs? That's what I had...and driver side ballast was only held with 2 screws :bigroll:

well now let me search for a stock replacement headlamp if my seal job doesnt work.

·
Registered
'08 Esky
87 Posts
I believe philips/OSRAM are stock replacements so youre good there.Im curious about those large cracks.Could that have been from heat??? Also my ballast initially only had two screws and I was suspect someone had removed my headlight before.Good find and keep me updated on your progress.

----------

Also according to a few posts from this forum using google search the bulb that you mention is a 5000k bulb.The OEM philips Xenstart bulb is 4300k color temperature which is actually brighter ie. has more lumens.The posts on this forum say that 5000k is brighter.Everyone at hidpanet will tell you the opposite and probably will be able to explain why.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts