Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Eldorado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been having to fill my coolant every day. I never have a puddle under my car so obviously it's not a leak but where is it going? My temp is always normal and there is no burning smell or smoke. Pretty confused and wondering if anyone has any ideas...would appreciate it!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,052 Posts
It's either being blown out the surge tank overflow tube - due to a faulty pressure cap or overfilling - or coolant is leaking under warm run conditions only (and that's pretty far fetched).

Proper coolant level, engine cold only, is about halfway up in the surge tank. Any higher and the pressure cap dutifully does its job due to normal coolant expansion as the system heats up - the excess has to go somewhere, so it relieves to the road.

A good test would be to rent a cooling system test set from a large parts store and, with the engine cold, pump up the system to about 18 psi. After a few minutes, using a good droplight/flashlight, inspect every inch of the cooling system piping and hoses. If you get a pretty strong coolant smell, hot, then it may be from a failing heater core.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
The '92 Eldo had a 4.9 Jim (recovery tank, no surge tank).

There is a possibility that it is slowly leaking and evaporating before you see or smell it. Radiator side tank maybe? One other possibility is a leaky intake manifold gasket. That would let the coolant leak slowly into the intake > combustion chamber > out the exhaust and never be seen or smelled.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,052 Posts
OK - a recovery tank should be way less than half full, cold. Fill the tank and the expanding coolant simply drains to ground.

Just like this coolant recovery system in our boat .............. The plastic tank with the red (non-pressurized) cap .................see the green coolant level ?? That's hot at 2200 cruise rpm ................the upper clear tube drains to the bilge if necessary ..........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts