Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!

My 2001 STS started Losing Coolant a 8 days ago!

I filled up the overflow tank half way up twice in one week.

For the first time ever, yesterday the motor got HOT IN HEAVY TRAFFIC and the overflow tank was empty again. .

Are these the symptoms of a BAD overflow radiator tank that is not holding pressure
or something else?

Another Caddy owner told me that he fixed this problem by replacing his plastic radiator overflow tank

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,505 Posts
Re: Losing Coolant 2001STS but no leaks are these Symptoms of BAD overflow radiator t

Find the leak and repair it. A coolant leak can occur at any point in the system, not just the surge tank.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
Re: Losing Coolant 2001STS but no leaks are these Symptoms of BAD overflow radiator t

Look for a chalky white telltale residue of dried Dex-Cool.
If you've had to add coolant to the surge tank twice in one week, the leak should be easy to find.
Surge tanks are known to crack and leak over time. Also check the purge line nipple.
Likewise with the radiator side tanks.

·
Registered
2001 STS
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2001 STS only only gets HOT at idle or in traffic??

Help UPDATE;
My 2001 STS only only gets HOT at idle or in traffic??
Runs at normal Temp. while driving.

What can cause this??

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,505 Posts
Re: 2001 STS only only gets HOT at idle or in traffic??

What is "HOT" on your temp gauge ? In the red ? If so, do the suggested purge line tests in your other thread on coolant, leaks, and search for a leak with the engine cold.

When the engine gets "hot" is the HVAC system ON or OFF ? With the system ON, and some A/C compressor setting called for, fans should run all the time. Do they ?

Study the sticky posts in Engines, Northstar concerning fan operation, gauge operation, cooling system operation and cylinder block head bolt hole thread failures.

If you find no leaks, rent a cylinder block ecxhaust gas test set from any large parts store. Follow the instructions and sample the air over the coolant in the surge tank. Do not get coolant into the test tube - if you do you must wash the test set and start over.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lisle+cylinder+block+exhaust+gas+test+kit&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=LIS75500&source=froogle&kw=LIS75500&gclid=CJ7J7_GjmcQCFXRo7Aod1iwAng

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
Re: 2001 STS only only gets HOT at idle or in traffic??

Help UPDATE;
My 2001 STS only only gets HOT at idle or in traffic??
Runs at normal Temp. while driving.

What can cause this??
Condenser fins clogged with dead bugs.
WP belt tensioner not providing enough belt tension.
Clogged purge line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts