Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a stroll to IMDB.com and make a negative comment about the latest Lord of the Rings, and prepare to be shot down (orc-style)! One guy called me a neo-nazi for saying Godfather 1 and 2 should hold the #1 spot. I saw it, got choked up a little, and felt pleased with the whole trilogy. However, it's not the greatest film of all time....not yet at least. People will always have their all-time favorite films.

btw, my roommate made the comment that LOTR is better than Braveheart. I say no way!

How do you guys feel. (and no name calling either please! we're all brothers and sisters here...most of us have Caddys...one guy has a Q45, but still ;)...)

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I havent seen the latest one, but after watching the second one I wanted to shoot myself it was so long and boring..... Maybe it was because I was already tired, but I wouldnt want to put myself through that kind of torture again!

·
Registered
989 Posts
There are so many better films than Lord of the Rings. Take "Lost Highway", "Mulholland Dr.", "gone in 60 seconds", "party monster", and "willy wonka and the chocolate factory" forinstance. IMO those are so much better than the whole LOTR series.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Ok, you all are crazy. Willie Wonka? Party Monster? Please. The LOTR trilogy is a magnificent group of movies, and they did an excellent job putting as much of the books in as they could. It's not like they had some script they could change at will. There's 3 books with a very large, and very dedicated fan base. If you cut anything out, or try to change what happens, the nerds will beat you to death with their pocket protectors. But, putting in the entire book gives you a 6 hour movie. So, they did what they could, and were as loyal to the books as possible. To appease the hardcore LOTR fans, they offered some of the deleted parts in the home versions, which does increase the movie length, but true fans won't object. For those of you who aren't into the books, the movies are long and dull, but for fans of the books, the movies are as close to perfect as they can be reasonably made. (6 hour movie's a bit much even for hardcore fans.)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are age-old themes that make LOTR an amazing series. Good triumphs over evil, the power of friendship, the power of love, life after death, corruption is poison...

It's these themes combined with great performances, amazing visuals, and good pacing that will make LOTR go down in history as one of the greatest film series of all time. However, my complaint is that people, especially the nerds, are quick to overlook the tried and true classics that have grown in stature over time. LOTR needs a few years before it becomes a classic.

And leave Gone In Sixty Seconds out of this!! holy moly! P.U. !!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Chuck C said:
btw, my roommate made the comment that LOTR is better than Braveheart. I say no way!

How do you guys feel. (and no name calling either please! we're all brothers and sisters here...most of us have Caddys...one guy has a Q45, but still ;)...)
Well, last weekend's award show defintely showed how MOST people felt.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lev said:
Well, last weekend's award show defintely showed how MOST people felt.

and I am one of them...I'm glad LOTR swept the Oscars. By doing so, the Academy has acknowledged that not just ROTK, but alll three films were a monumental acheivement in film history. NEVERTHELESS, other films rank higher on my scorecard. That's not to say I don't listen to the soundtrack in my car over and over again on long road trips ;)

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
Terminator 2 was the all time best movie IMO, great story, great action, great effects, it had emotion in it, great soundtrack, good moral to the story overall the movie was abosultly the best. I can watch it over and over and never get sick of it. i cant think of any area it was lacking in. The effects alone were way ahead of its time. :coolgleam: :gun2:

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
Caddy Man said:
Terminator 2 was the all time best movie IMO, great story, great action, great effects, it had emotion in it, great soundtrack, good moral to the story overall the movie was abosultly the best. I can watch it over and over and never get sick of it. i cant think of any area it was lacking in. The effects alone were way ahead of its time. :coolgleam: :gun2:
:wtf: T2 was entertaining but not great. T1 was WAAAAAYYYYYYY better, not drowned in FXs....it was original and made on a shoestring budget(ok shoestring for Hollywood movies). As far as great movies are concerned......... The Godfather and the Godfather 2 were 2 of the greatest movies ever made.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Caddy Man said:
Hollywood must agree with you. T1 and T3 were great and all, but T2 was simply beautiful. The plot and the action were excellent!!!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
HollywoodHicks1 said:
Hollywood must agree with you. T1 and T3 were great and all, but T2 was simply beautiful. The plot and the action were excellent!!!
i think T3 was just garbage. i think the movie really sold out to the mainstream idea of the termiantor and it seems like they were more concerned aobut him sayin funny lines that everyone knows instead of the story. if james cameron would have done it i belive it would have been so much better, they should have had brad fiedel compose the music too. not once did i hear the familiar termiantor theme anywhere in the movie. T3 in my opinion lacked soul, even though it wasnt bad movie, it was garbage compared to the other 2.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Mad'lac said:
:wtf: T2 was entertaining but not great. T1 was WAAAAAYYYYYYY better, not drowned in FXs....it was original and made on a shoestring budget(ok shoestring for Hollywood movies). As far as great movies are concerned......... The Godfather and the Godfather 2 were 2 of the greatest movies ever made.
Termiantor one is my 2nd fav movie. :) There is just something aobut T2 though that i just loved. I kno it had a lot of FX, i mean the end was so emotional when john connor had to let the termiantor go, and thorugh this whole time the termiantor was like a freind, a father even, to him. and how the termiantor knew what he had to do, because he was not allowed to self termiante, but he started to realize the value of human life, even though he was just a machine and he knew the best thing was for him to be detroyed. But i have to admit the scene in T1 when he shoots up the police station is one of my favorite scenes in movies.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Caddy Man said:
i think T3 was just garbage. i think the movie really sold out to the mainstream idea of the termiantor and it seems like they were more concerned aobut him sayin funny lines that everyone knows instead of the story. if james cameron would have done it i belive it would have been so much better, they should have had brad fiedel compose the music too. not once did i hear the familiar termiantor theme anywhere in the movie. T3 in my opinion lacked soul, even though it wasnt bad movie, it was garbage compared to the other 2.
You and I see :eye: to :eye: on T3. T3 was a waste of film IMHO. I think it should've stayed T1&T2 only. I gotta admit that T2 was good but I guess I'm a T1 fan to the end.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Caddy Man said:
Termiantor one is my 2nd fav movie. :) There is just something aobut T2 though that i just loved. I kno it had a lot of FX, i mean the end was so emotional when john connor had to let the termiantor go, and thorugh this whole time the termiantor was like a freind, a father even, to him. and how the termiantor knew what he had to do, because he was not allowed to self termiante, but he started to realize the value of human life, even though he was just a machine and he knew the best thing was for him to be detroyed. But i have to admit the scene in T1 when he shoots up the police station is one of my favorite scenes in movies.
Yes the cop station was one of my fav scenes too. What I like was the pure brutality of the machine . "Sarah Connors?" "Yes?" "Boom!!!!" Calling out exactly what guns he wanted and ammo. Pure and simple cold. To this day movies are trying to copy that simple formula. I guess what makes me think that T2 is not in the same ballpark is the fact that they watered down the movie just so kids could watch it too. T1 was in yer face like it or not.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Mad'lac said:
You and I see :eye: to :eye: on T3. T3 was a waste of film IMHO. I think it should've stayed T1&T2 only. I gotta admit that T2 was good but I guess I'm a T1 fan to the end.
im really glad you see it the way i do....everyone i talk to absoltly loved T3 and thoguht it was the greatest movie, but none of them really care for what the termiantor movies are really meant to be. they just see some crap blowing up and are two stupid to think about the actual movie. when i saw arndol put those star shaped glasses on in T3 i was so mad they were making a mockery of the movie i wanted to talk out of the theater. i agree what u said about T1, he is so cold and straight to buisness. No one can mess with him cuz if you get in his way he will straight up kill you. The reason T2 is prolly my fav is because i happend to watch that before i saw T1, (i was born the year T1 came out) and i just loved T2. your right they did water it down somewhat for kids (i was one when i saw it!) lol, but i think anrold was so perfectly cast. his deep and machine like accent and he is perfectly built that its not hard to think of him as a killing machine. i think they should have just left T1 and T2 becuse the story ended perfectly in T2. T3 just cancels out everything that happend in T2 with cyberdyne blowing up and what not. As far as kristanna loken goes, i didnt find her menacing at all. i think its probably because she was too beautiful to be scary and she didnt do things by herself, she had other machines do her dirty work. I think the terminator from T1 and the T-1000 were absoullty menacing. They did their own dirty work. as far as the whole termiantor thing goes, there was never a movie like it before and there never will be again. it was a very unique and original story.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Ya but, you see, she was smarter than the other terminators BECAUSE she got the other machines to help her! ;) That's called advancement in technology, of which, she was the latest version?? I thought she did a pretty good job with her "serious look" driving the truck, for example. Cut the poor gal some slack, she's only about 20 years old. ;) I agree with what you said on that other movie thread about John Conner, the actor that played him was wimpy, and he always had that "innocent puppy dog" look on his face!

I think the reason many people didn't like the 3rd movie is because the world actually ends, and that puts a definitive end on civilization. There was a similar scene in T2 with Sarah at the fence, remember that! Those scenes imply the end, but moreso in T3 I think. I think the more graphic, better storyline, the better the movie. People seem to be initially influenced by graphic scenes, THEN consider the story.IMO. Of course, they can still have more movies in the series, they can just go back in time to another setting. It's presented as very "cold" at the end, with little or no hope for mankind and the future. ie, we can only postpone the inevitable?

What else has she done I wonder.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts