Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Fleetwood coupe
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed my coolant had disappeared somewhere so I replaced it and a day later it was gone, after careful inspection I noticed the leak was coming from the thermostat. At which point I replaced the stat and gasket. The fluid still spews out when the engine is revved , anyone have any ideas, do I need to replace the housing itself ?

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
Is the fluid coming out around the gasket? How about the hose where it connects?
Make sure the gasket surface is clean before you reinstall. If it was, then you may need a new thermostat housing.

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
I am assuming that you are talking about the 4.1 litre V8 and if so, there is a tin transfer tube to move the coolant between the intake manifold and the thermostat housing. It can rust out as the years go by and can cause leaks toward the end of its life. The bad news is that GM no longer supplies a replacement tube. The good news is that someone else does. More bad news, I have forgotten who was the supplier of aftermarket tubes. Someone here will know.
The tube is sealed with 2 large "O" rings which you likely will also need. When you did the "scrape and clean" did you remove and reinstal the housing? If so, you might have added to the leaking problem. Look carefully because it took the shop that replaced my water pump several years ago about six months to get that housing to stop weeping coolant. Good luck.

Cheers..................R

·
Registered
1983 Fleetwood coupe
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turns out I striped the bolt to the housing and there was now seal to the thermostat, it actually blew the gasket and over heated the engine, so I called and ordered a new housing all together

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sooooooo............the stripped bolt in the housing then is not now the least of your problems. Cadillac 4.1 engines do not like to be overheated at all. I won't begin to discuss all the damage that overheating can do to these engines (I too am one of the unlucky owners but I have yet to experience any of the problems). For now, all I can say is that you reassemble it and make sure that there are no more coolant leaks. Then, when you are up and running, monitor your oil condition religiously every day. You will be looking for oil level and oil colour, viscosity and the appearance of a light-coloured frothy texture. Others on the forum may say that I am out to lunch because I have not yet enjoyed the death throes of a 4100 V8. Again, good luck with your 83 because when you get it right, they are wonderful cars. Read the threads on this forum by Felix Brandt (graust is his forum username). Felix has had more than his share of problems with his 83 Fleetwood and he has stepped up and fixed each and every one of them.
Again, good luck with your 83 Caddy.

Cheers.............R.

·
Registered
1983 Fleetwood coupe
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
just had the auto parts store order the wrong piece and they have no idea what im talking about, they ordered me the "thermostat housing" which is the piece that connects the hose to the thermostat housing. is there a proper name for this piece that bolts onto the water pump and houses the thermostat.??? any help would be greatly appreciated................................. nvm

just found a site online where I could order the lower housing

·
Registered
734 Posts
Try to get the "O" ring seals, transfer tube & gaskets with it. BTW, who is the supplier? I might need another one somewhere down the road.

Cheers..........R.

·
Registered
1983 Fleetwood coupe
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well turns out when I checked my email today, the order has been cancelled due to parts "not in stock" and no plans to be manufactured in the future

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
Any chance to tap out the stripped bold? I'm not familiar with the part you're talking about is it a stud coming out of the part or a bolt that goes into it?
I'm assuming the threads that the bolt goes into are stripped? Should be able to tap them out and use a slightly larger bolt or something like a thread repair kit?

·
Registered
734 Posts
None of the above. The thermostat housing is a cast aluminum box that accepts coolant from the intake manifold via the transfer tube previously mentioned here. What the first parts supplier assumed was the thermostat housing was in fact the connector for the top radiator hose. Not an uncommon mistake. It attaches to the cast aluminum housing and that is where the stripped bolt hole is. Cheri has the right idea in suggesting that you get a used one from a wrecker. Failing that, there may be members here who have scrapped 4100 cars and who might have saved the housing. If and when you do get one, make sure that the area where the top rad hose connects is perfectly flat and that the attaching bolt hole threads are perfect. If you are unable to get a used housing, you can have yours repaired by having new threads put in by a competent machine shop using a helicoil. Have you removed the damaged housing yet?

Cheers............R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts