Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 94 Deville. The plastic hubcaps that are attached with a ring of spring clips are loose and rattle. We have tried to use some duct tape to make them queiter but that didnt last very long. Has anyone found a simple fix for this? Are these hubcaps easy to find replacements for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you have the painted steel wheels with full size hubcaps or the chrome or alloy wheels that have a 6-7"diameter plastic cover that covers the lugnuts? I have had trouble with both kinds. My 93 De Ville was one of the few with painted steel wheels and full size hubcaps. For 200k miles I fought to keep the hubcaps from rotating on the wheels and shearing off the valve stem. It got so bad that every time I stopped for gas I had to reset the hubcaps. Finally I just left them off.
When I traded that worn-out car for a '05 Le Sabre, I specified alloy wheels to get away from that problem. The small center caps were falling off after 4000 miles. The dealer replaced them all under warranty, and installed the new ones with a blob of caulk (the kind that stays soft) on the prongs that snap into the wheel. No more loose hubcaps!

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have the 6-7 inch plastic hubcaps. We will try using some silicone and see how that works. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
2006 CTS
258 Posts
If they are like my '93 caps, do you have the wire in the proper place where it puts pressure out on the plastic tabs?

I actually have one, that has 2 broken tabs and no wire and it is doing OK. The caps are hard to find and I need to pick up some more in my travels. I was lucky enough to recently find 2 locally.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
258 Posts
Another suggestion is whenever you go for new tires, always take off your hubcaps first yourself. I'm sure that's why so many of them get broke. Tire guys not familiar with them or too fast to be careful enough. I actually take the caps off first no matter what type of cap I'm running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts