Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
04 Plat. Silver 'V'
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My e-brake is not strong enough to hold the car. It seems like it needs an adjustment. It only has 19k. Is this a common problem for the V's. I also contacted lindsay cadillac and they said it may not be covered under the warrenty. Anyone have/had this problem?

·
Banned
Cadillac
174 Posts
ditto, yes its common, you gotta really push it in all the way or get it adjusted. IT SHOULD DEFINETLY BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY, unless its not holding bc u need new brakes - which wont be under warranty.

·
Registered
Cadillac
23 Posts
My e-brake is not strong enough to hold the car. It seems like it needs an adjustment. It only has 19k. Is this a common problem for the V's. I also contacted lindsay cadillac and they said it may not be covered under the warrenty. Anyone have/had this problem?
This is a very common problem in CTS-V's. I've heard alot of people say the same thing. I took mine into Sewell in Dallas, and they told me it was "the nature of the beast, but we'll look at it" Then I got it back, and they say that they adjusted it, and now it will hold the car even on a hill with it pressed about 60% down. So it *can* be fixed, just a matter of if they are willing to take care of it or not.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Try applying and then fully releasing the parking brake 3 times. If this doesn't work, then the parking brake shoes may need adjusted by the dealer.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
We adjust quite a few of them.
It takes close to an hour.
Pain in the rear... so to speak.

·
Registered
404 Posts
me too, im getting my ebrake,front bumber, rear door handles, horn, rear end check, and a bunch of other shit fixed...new tires....o man does my V need a makeover

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
We cover the adjustment under warranty.
It is up to the dealer though, I have heard some argue with customers. (mostly because they don't get it... the dealer not the customer)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The most common rebuttal is "you must have driven with the park brake on".
If you hear that, tell whoever just said it to you to set the park brake on the car and drive it around the block.
After they lose their hearing from the chime dinging like crazy and get sick of the light blinking in their face ask them how you drove it without noticing all that?

Then ask them to show you the evidence that indicates you drove it with the park brake on.
If they know you did it they should be able to show you how it happened and what is damaged.
Make them remove the rear rotor and show you the damage to the shoes and the signs of overheating caused by your "negligence" and tell them if they can prove it to you, you'll pay for it.
;)

Of course start out by nicely letting them know that the park brake doesn't hold and ask them to look at it.
Only go that route if they turn stupid on you ;)

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
Isn't it just a cable adjustment like the older cars? I can also check the service manual.
You're right...the Cadillac Techs from Lindsay MUST not know what they are talking about. :thepan:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
LOL,

No, the cables on that are not adjustable.
There is a "star-wheel" adjuster on the actuator for the park brake.
The only way to adjust this is to remove the drum and turn the star wheel to spread the park shoe inside the "drum" a little bit.
They don't give us an adjuster plug in the backing plate either.
It is kind of a pain. Warranty pays .7, which is doable... but still.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My e brake is in the same shape. Brown /brothers in Louisville will not cover it under warranty which is strange because I have never had a problem with anything else on my V which is modded enough to present a problem if they wanted it to. I just make sure to park in reverse. The car can't move in reverse unless it shears off a cog.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just had mine adjusted at a local dealer here in Long Beach,CA - $200 for the adjustment. Parking brake didn't hold the car at all and would roll down the driveway unless I kept it in gear when parked. Dealer said no warranty applied. I should also mention I'll never go back to this dealer again (for reasons other then this parking brake issue.)

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
As Ewill stated already, common issue, easily resolved but a PITA to resolve. Had my new 'certified' car in 4 times for this, every excuse in the book why they couldn't fix it.

1. Its not adjustable on these cars
2. They are all like that
3. You just have to push it all the way to the floor
4. We did adjust it, its much better now :thehand:

One call to Cadillac Customer Service and (parting clouds, angels singing) they figured it out.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
I had mine adjusted early on under warranty. I went back about a year later and they said it wouldn't be covered under warranty b/c it's a "wear-and-tear" item. They said it takes 4 hours of labor to adjust it at $90/hr. Seems to me that parking brakes rarely wear out on most other cars...then again we all know this isn't 'most other cars'.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts