Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of changes in the 2016. The key fix for the rough idle in the 3.6 engine is auto off/on at stoplights. That should fix the rough idle at stoplights. :bigroll:

·
Registered
1994 Eldo TC, 1998 ETC, 1998 STS, 2014 CTS, 2016 CTS, 2017 CTS Premium AWD
387 Posts
That doesn't mean it goes off every time you stop--we have it in our BMW. However, I do think this engine, which is entirely new from the ground up, will have fixed the problem. That's little consolation for those of us who have the current V6.

·
Registered
387 Posts
They've actually been very responsive to this issue for me. GM is involved, and GM Engineering is involved now. They don't have a fix yet, which is frustrating, but they acknowledge the issue and are trying to work it out.

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They've actually been very responsive to this issue for me. GM is involved, and GM Engineering is involved now. They don't have a fix yet, which is frustrating, but they acknowledge the issue and are trying to work it out.
If they find a fix, be sure to let us know.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I will. Going in next week, at which time they are going to try a new torque converter.

·
Registered
94 ETC 78 Eldo 69 Eldo
170 Posts
Natural frequencies of the different metals in the engine configuration and the direct injection might interact and set up some kind of phenomena that should be explored further. Software programming might also interrelate in some way.

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
Any company that won't take any responsibility for killing 85 people isn't going to do anything for us with shaky engine...
http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/federal-judge-gm-not-liable-deaths-injuries.shtml
Wow, that was an inflammatory threadjack.

That is deal the Obama administration made. I'm not defending GM or blaming them, but the fact is GM didn't want the government to buy the company, they just wanted a loan. The bankruptcy was the Obama administration's idea and completely their doing. If you are going to be mad, be mad at the "Car Czar" and the president.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Torque converter did not fix the problem. Hope is waning that anything will. I think it is a fundamental problem with the engine and software.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)
472 Posts

That is deal the Obama administration made. I'm not defending GM or blaming them, but the fact is GM didn't want the government to buy the company, they just wanted a loan. The bankruptcy was the Obama administration's idea and completely their doing. If you are going to be mad, be mad at the "Car Czar" and the president.
Actually George Bush diverted $17.4 billion of TARP money (without Congressional approval) to keep the US auto industry from going bankrupt under his watch.

From a March 16 2012 article in the New Yorker:

"Lest we forget, it was Bush rather than Obama who initiated the government rescue of the auto companies.

On December 19, 2008, a week after Republicans in the Senate had killed a bailout bill proposed by Democrats, saying it didn’t impose big enough wage cuts on the U.A.W., Bush unilaterally agreed to lend $17.4 billion of taxpayers’ money to General Motors and Chrysler, of which $13.4 billion was to be extended immediately. He had to twist the law to get the money. Deprived of congressional funding, he diverted cash from the loathed TARP program, which Congress had already passed, but which was supposed to be restricted to rescuing the banks. “I didn’t want there to twenty-one-per-cent unemployment,” he said to a meeting of the National Automobile Dealers Association in Las Vegas last month, explaining why he acted as he did. “I didn’t want history to look back and say, ‘Bush could have done something but chose not to do it.’ ”

A link of the announcement:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16740.html

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
I'm not mad...

But in reference to the thread, you will see people who have GM engineers helping them with rough idle...
The thread is on rough idle and you posted a link and made a comment on "killing 85 people". That is mad. My father was killed through medical incompetence and my father-in-law almost died because of it. I did not seek "recourse" through the the legal system. My trust is in God and I know whatever happens only happens with His permission. I accept the good and (reluctantly) the bad together (Rom 8:28). I hope you and people who feel they can get "recourse" from a court somewhere will one day find the Truth.

Regardless, "GM" didn't kill anyone. Individuals probably made decisions that could have prevented deaths, and those people should be prosecuted and sentenced accordingly if they knowingly did so. And to the extent that no other executive would consider making such decisions again for fear of the consequences. It is ridiculous to say a "company" did anything, individual people made decisions.

blankster said:
"Lest we forget, it was Bush rather than Obama who initiated the government rescue of the auto companies.
If you read my post, GM and Chrysler wanted a loan, which is what Bush offered. The bankruptcy and its consequences, which is what kgall was posting about, was purely the idea of Obama and the Car Czar. I will add that the loans were 100% repaid, Obama's decision to bankrupt the companies and then buy them in bankruptcy court is the only thing that actually cost the taxpayers money.

Ironically, if you read the article you posted, Bush said he did not want the companies to go bankrupt.

Unfortunately, this sounds like a political argument, which I don't care about. I think it was a stupid idea for the government to buy publicly traded companies regardless of what their political views are. I am an independent.

Anyway, back to the rough idle, these issues always amaze me that they can be fairly common, but not universal. If it is a software problem, I would think it would be universal, but easily fixed (once they figure out what exactly causes the problem). However, if it is some way the tolerances stack up between the engine and transmission, I would think it would be almost impossible to fix.

I wonder what percentage of CTSs actually have the problem. It reminds me of the timing chain issues some have in the old version of the 3.6 (2009 and earlier).

·
Registered
10 SRX
402 Posts

Oh heII yes, blame everything on Obama! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts