Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe, SRX 3.6
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am looking to potentially buy a 2013/2014 ATS and need some advice from the community.

The vehicle I currently have is worth about $22.5k according to dealers and I'm assuming I could do a little better in the private market. Maximum I'm trying to spend on the swap would probably be 15k (plus the $22.5k assumption) so 37.5k at the most.

I'm looking at a Certified 2013 Black Raven ATS with the 2.0T AWD Performance trim, 23,702 miles, 1 owner, no accidents. It has Navigation, heated seats, sunroof, back up camera, park assist, HID lights, the 10 speaker sound system and bluetooth.

It seems to have every option a Performance model can have and looks to be a solid buy.

Dealer's initial price is $29,977

Is that a fair value? and how low do you think they would be willing to sell it for?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to getting an ATS and joining the community full-time!

·
Registered
none
1,102 Posts
Re: Looking To Purchase An ATS: Pricing Advise Needed

Hello everyone,

I am looking to potentially buy a 2013/2014 ATS and need some advice from the community.

The vehicle I currently have is worth about $22.5k according to dealers and I'm assuming I could do a little better in the private market. Maximum I'm trying to spend on the swap would probably be 15k (plus the $22.5k assumption) so 37.5k at the most.

I'm looking at a Certified 2013 Black Raven ATS with the 2.0T AWD Performance trim, 23,702 miles, 1 owner, no accidents. It has Navigation, heated seats, sunroof, back up camera, park assist, HID lights, the 10 speaker sound system and bluetooth.

It seems to have every option a Performance model can have and looks to be a solid buy.

Dealer's initial price is $29,977

Is that a fair value? and how low do you think they would be willing to sell it for?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to getting an ATS and joining the community full-time!
I just bought a 2013 ATS premium two months ago with 10,500 miles for $28,200, so I feel that price is a little high. My car has every option except the package with the adaptive cruise. The dealer didn't budge on price for me, but I got retail for my trade in so it worked for me (lots of negotiating). What would they take for that car? Who knows, too many variables.

Is your price bad? No, but you could definitely do better. Black raven is just the standard black so it's not the black diamond which is drop dead sexy. If it were me I would pass and get a better deal. The demand for the ATS is pretty low so there are deals out there if you're patient. Im glad I held out for the premium because the MRC is amazing. Plus you get the HUD, fold down seats, and some other options over the performance.

·
Registered
NONE
8 Posts

You should be able to buy a *new 2014* configured that way - 2.0T/AWD/base color - for under $37k at this point. Given that, I think that ~$30k is definitely on the high side and you should have some room to negotiate.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts

Try offering $3500 cash plus your car as an opening offer and see what happens.

Car prices vary by region. Go to Autotrader and see what's available in a 50 mile radius and 100 mile radius of your house and see how that car stacks up.

BTW, back up camera, park assist, HID lights, and bluetooth are standard on a performance. Make sure you compare true options.

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe, SRX 3.6
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ideally I'm looking to keep the expense down if I can get a nice car.

My background is a student who is interning for an ESPN subsidiary and I write about hockey for two very well established websites. Doing this I've made enough to afford the change to the ATS, but I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.

The reason why I'm changing vehicles is because of my writing, usually once or twice a week I have to travel either to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia from central PA to cover a MLB, NHL or NFL game as a credentialed member of the media. Over the summer I should be traveling even more and while the truck I have is nice, it's not all that comfortable to drive long distances and as a car enthusiast I know what a great car the ATS is. I've driven them and am trying to take advantage of their slow sales to get a nice car.

I'm really looking at certified ATSs and that one seems to be about the best deal in Central PA even with a 200 mile search radius. AWD, navigation and heated seats are my must must have features.

Do you guys think the dealer would potentially take my truck ($22.5k) plus $3500 cash? I've been looking for a while and this is about the best deal I've seen in the area.

Any advise or input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts

Do you guys think the dealer would potentially take my truck ($22.5k) plus $3500 cash? I've been looking for a while and this is about the best deal I've seen in the area.

Any advise or input is greatly appreciated.
I don't know what the real value of your trade in truck for the dealer is. Who knows, maybe they know that they can sell it for $27k to the next customer with very little trouble and then yes, they might and will let this transaction happen for just extra $3500. But if the real, actual value of the truck is indeed $22.5k, then I am really pessimistic they agree for just extra $3.500k. Don't get me wrong, I like to see you get a good deal and can save money, but in my opinion, the transaction of 22.5k tradein plus $3.500k on top doesn't seem to be a likely scenario to happen. I think Ragtop might be suggesting that to give it shot during the negotiation as an "opening offer" to see what their reaction is, do they accept, or might be counter offering something better than their initial numbers? I don't think he is suggesting it should be your final and best offer that you have to stick to it. As for your original question, yes the asking price of the car, considering that it is performance trim and it is certified seems justified and more or less inline with the market. Is it the best deal you can get. No, you might be able to get a better deal from somewhere else.

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe, SRX 3.6
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just wanted to clarify, I had been in discussion with another Cadillac dealer for a new 2014 ATS when they were running the rebates, Cadillac conquest and the promotions last month. Their first trade in estimate was $21.5k and after pressing a little they increased it to $22.5k, I wasn't sold on the specific 2014 ATS at that dealer.

Found a different new 2014 ATS at a different dealer (that the mentioned 2013 Certified Performance ATS is located at). The second dealer contacted the first one and offered $22.5k trade in, sight unseen. Dealer most likely will re-sell the truck for $24-27k.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,393 Posts

I agree with looking on Autotrader, pretty easy way to see what a lot of cars are listed for. I was very specific on the used car I wanted and it really cut way down on my options.

Adding to what is said here, figure out the maximum you are willing to spend (or difference between your car and ATS) and have that before you start the negotiation. Trying to figure this out when talking to the salesman is asking for things to get messed up. Also, don't offer a number unless you are willing to do the deal at this number. Once you say $3500 or whatever, it doesn't make sense to have him say ok and then you ask for something better.

Another issue can be finding something further away and not figuring in the hassle/cost of getting it. I live in Cincinnati and my last three cars came from Brunswick, GA, Boston, and Phoenix (all used). I would have paid more to find something more local if it had matched what I wanted.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
go to carmax and get a bid on your trade...they will cut you a check if you don't buy from them...they often times come in higher on trade value because that is a vital way they stock themselves...unlike a new car dealer that has a steady flow of inbound new & used cars from trade ins, rental car auctions, bank lease end auctions, and the factory....so your car tends to be more valuable to them, i've made many deals sending my customers to carmax when i was a salesman

that's one half of the equation...the other is call around to Caddy dealers and find the ones who use their own cars for service loaners.....those cars are only in use 3 to 4 months and get a lot of additional money (sort of like rebates) from cadillac in exchange for their use as service loaners.....after their time in service they have 3 or 4 thousand miles the aforementioned extra discount AND they qualify for all the new car incentives and financing....just ask what cars they might have coming out of their courtesy loaner car service

i would combine those two tactics to raise your trade price and get a fantastic deal on a new(ish) car...you will be happy

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe, SRX 3.6
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've kept my eye out and thus far haven't found anything in the area that's a performance/premium trim significantly under 30k.

As of now these are the two I'm looking at.

http://www.scottcars.net/VehicleDetails/certified-2013-Cadillac-ATS-2.0L_I4_AWD_Performance-Allentown-PA/2487244843

and the originally mentioned one.

http://www.kellycadillac.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2013-Cadillac-ATS-2.0L_I4_AWD_Performance-Lancaster-PA/2493635943

If anyone has any feedback, suggestions or anything I'd love to hear from you. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Not necessarily a relevant comment, but just out of curiosity I went and checked the asking prices of other cars on their lots, and as a trend I see that the asking price for their entire inventory seem to be higher than the market. A few example:

2002 Chevrolet Impala $4,981

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i $24,581

2011 Chevrolet Impala LT $13,481

2006 BMW 530xi (with 117k miles) $12,977

2011 Cadillac CTS Sedan 3.0L V6 AWD Luxury ( $24,477)

As I mentioned not very relevant, but sometimes when I am shopping for a specific car on a lot, and am not sure whether the asking price is fair or not, I walk around the lot and check out the price tag of other cars that more or less I am familiar with their market price. And based on what I see, more or less I can come to a conclusion that are the prices overall jacked up and there is room for negotiation, or the prices are very competitive and good. These two dealers seem to be asking a lot for their inventory. I am leaving the interpretation (if there is any) to you, just wanted to share my observation.

Good luck in your shopping and please let us know what you eventually purchase!

·
Registered
NONE
8 Posts
I've kept my eye out and thus far haven't found anything in the area that's a performance/premium trim significantly under 30k.

As of now these are the two I'm looking at.

http://www.scottcars.net/VehicleDetails/certified-2013-Cadillac-ATS-2.0L_I4_AWD_Performance-Allentown-PA/2487244843

and the originally mentioned one.

http://www.kellycadillac.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2013-Cadillac-ATS-2.0L_I4_AWD_Performance-Lancaster-PA/2493635943

If anyone has any feedback, suggestions or anything I'd love to hear from you. Thanks guys!
I bet at the same dealership you could get this new 2014 2.0T AWD Luxury for no more than their asking price on the CTO 2013: http://www.kellycadillac.com/VehicleDetails/new-2014-Cadillac-ATS-2.0L_I4_AWD_Luxury-Lancaster-PA/2211930743

or a slightly better equipped one for ~~$32-33k http://www.kellycadillac.com/VehicleDetails/new-2014-Cadillac-ATS-2.0L_I4_AWD_Luxury-Lancaster-PA/2040216793

or even a new 2014 Premium for $35-37k http://www.kellycadillac.com/VehicleDetails/new-2014-Cadillac-ATS-2.0L_I4_AWD_Premium-Lancaster-PA/2191238503

Given that, I'm confident that their asking price for the CTO 2013 is highly negotiable. My guess, without checking, is that you should be able to buy it for $27k at most, maybe even $25-26k? If they won't go down to than those prices, why not spend a few thousand more on a new one?

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe, SRX 3.6
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice and input. In just 4 short hours I will be picking up my 2013 ATS white performance. Negotiated a good deal and am excited to join the forums and already am planning some visual changes to my new baby!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts