Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Looking to purchase a 93-96 Fleetwood Brougham

691 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fleetwoodss 
#1 ·
All,
Hello. I am looking to purchase a 94-96 FWB. I have found a nicce 94 close to home, and I am planning on going to purchase it this Friday. Anyone have any hints as far as common problems I should be looking for? I know the Optispark has been known to be a common problem on 9C1s, and from reading on here the trannies generally are one of the first things to go so I will be surfing the web today trying to figure out a way to test the OptiSpark (If thats possible) I dont know how many miles it has or even seen a pic. (I talked to the guy on the phone once. I dont want him to think Im in love with the car or anything. These dealers will jack up the price QUICK)

bunyan

#2 ·
Don't sweat the optispark so much...... it got a bad rep unfairly in my opinion.
Lots of people figure 100K miles out of one is typical, then you need to fork over the $200+ dollars just for the part. 80K miles if you're conservative.

But in all honesty, how many other distributors have you ever heard of that last 80-100K+ miles WITHOUT any servicing necessary at all? It's actually a very good design and is reliable. The main problem is that GM placed the opti under the water pump, which has a weep hole in the bottom. If the water pump fails or any service is done on it, it can dowse the opti with water.

Good luck, the Fleetwood is a wonderful vehicle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.