Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at maybe purchasing a 2003 SLS with 131k for $1000 seller says "needs 2 front tires and spark plugs and wires ". My question is does the 03 model still have head gasket issues? I had a 99' Deville with 79k and it blew the gaskets a few years ago...

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
The head bolt hole thread failures were greatly reduced in 2000 and then again in late 2002 - bolt and thread changes.

It has no "spark plug wires". 4-coil cassettes. Rather interesting to change plugs, parts removal-wise. Maybe some O-ring weep oil in a plug well or two - normal.

My 2002 STS is just fine and I run the dog snot out of it on occasion.

Welcome to CF !!! You NEED to study all the stickies in Engines; Northstar.

coil-boot-plug 1.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The head bolt hole thread failures were greatly reduced in 2000 and then again in late 2002 - bolt and thread changes.

It has no "spark plug wires". 4-coil cassettes. Rather interesting to change plugs, parts removal-wise. Maybe some O-ring weep oil in a plug well or two - normal.

My 2002 STS is just fine and I run the dog snot out of it on occasion.

Welcome to CF !!! You NEED to study all the stickies in Engines; Northstar.

View attachment 579767
Interesting..... thanks for the information He says it's misfiring would you say it's probably the spark plugs and coils? Or could it be something more serious?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
Could be plugs or the ignition cassette. If you change plugs, be sure to use the correct AC Delco plugs (41-987).

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
A scanner used by parts stores or an aftermarket handheld (as opposed to the car's built-in scanner) will give you the misfiring cylinder number. P 0300 is "misfire detected" - P 0301, 0302, 0305, etc. is the specific cylinder.

Plug, boot, tracking, cracked coil tower(s), bad ICM, faulty electrical connector(s), injector(s), injector wiring.

Both coil cassettes are identical except for color.

Ranger beat me to it ........

DSCN0192.jpg
2011-07-09_100054_carbon_tracking.jpg
coil cassette drawing.gif

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,341 Posts
Just to add. One of my cassettes went bad around 140k. Other one is still working at 180k. So you are in the mileage range for one to be bad. Personally, I just assume replace it with a brand new one and if it wasn't that part, at least it will be good for the lifetime of the car.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,292 Posts
there are other VERY EXPENSIVE issues besides head gaskets to consider -

OIL LEAKS -
the oil pressure switch and rear cam cover gasket are two VERY common - and cheap to repair - leaks -

the front and rear MAIN SEALS - half-case seal - and oil pan seal are also VERY common -
these are VERY expensive to repair - around $2500 -

TRANSMISSION -
P0741 -
use the on-board scanner and check for DTC's - Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if this code is listed - the problem is a worn out seal - DEEP in the trans -
the cost to repair is around $2500 to $3500 -

CLIMATE CONTROL -
if you hear CLICKING in the dash when you turn the ignition ON -
there are probably failing electric actuators that move various doors within the climate control system -
IF you have to pay someone else to replace these actuators -
the cost WILL be several hundreds of dollars -

1 - 7 of 7 Posts