Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Cadillac Community,

Fist off, I am new to the forums and new to Cadillac - I have never owned one before. I am reaching out to the community for advice and recommendations.

Currently, I own a 2014 VW. With our family growing and the need for more vehicle space, the Escalade would suit the needs. I am seeking a used Cadillac as it will help keep down the cost of one vehicle. The plan is to trade in the VW and or sell it to basically break even (based on the appraised value, I have about $2,000 negative equity).

I have found one that I am interested in. The 2007 seems to be fully loaded. There seems to be some fading around the black console, maybe some stains on the carpet (hard to tell in the pictures), and the engine doesn't look the cleanest. I am not sure if the rims are stock or aftermarket (hard to see if the Cadillac emblem is there).

The carfax shows only two owners with hardly any maintenance history (which scares me); however it was sold at an auction - could there have been issues? I am going to see the car today and take it to the local Cadillac dealer to look it over and pull up and service history on it if there is any.

Based on the pictures, miles, and price (and if it pans out in person) does it look like a good vehicle to purchase? What type of maintenance cost should I expect in the near future? Are there many issues with this year?

I would like some advice and your thoughts on this vehicle.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read.

http://www.germaintoyota.net/used/CADILLAC/2007-CADILLAC-ESCALADE-359909f80a0a000205bc94c0f82d1333.htm

----------

I just got off the phone with the local Cadillac dealer service department. He ran the VIN in the GM database and no service has been done at a GM Dealer. Must of been done at a Firestone, tuffy, etc. He also said the rims are not stock. It would cost me about $800 each.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I tell you about maintenance history, it seems to me Cadillac doesn't have one big data base for one vin number as BMW does it. The car could be serviced at dealer but it doesn't go into one main data base, only locally to this dealer.
I have truck and it has CPO, well this should be serviced and repaired at dealer, unless the previous owner is some kind nuts, paid for CPO and serviced somewhere else. You need to check when last time this car has CPO, this is important, than look at carfax
report where was car register and called local dealer. They more likely would not share all information, but at least they can say, that car was serviced at dealer at some point.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It doesn't look bad, however I'm sure you can negotiate the price down to around $20k-$22k. Also, the ad states that it has bluetooth connectivity? '07 will not have that feature unless an aftermarket device was installed, so inquire about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tell you about maintenance history, it seems to me Cadillac doesn't have one big data base for one vin number as BMW does it. The car could be serviced at dealer but it doesn't go into one main data base, only locally to this dealer.
I have truck and it has CPO, well this should be serviced and repaired at dealer, unless the previous owner is some kind nuts, paid for CPO and serviced somewhere else. You need to check when last time this car has CPO, this is important, than look at carfax
report where was car register and called local dealer. They more likely would not share all information, but at least they can say, that car was serviced at dealer at some point.
Thank you for quick response and the information. Here is the carfax history on it: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=1GYFK63857R174381

----------

It doesn't look bad, however I'm sure you can negotiate the price down to around $20k-$22k. Also, the ad states that it has bluetooth connectivity? '07 will not have that feature unless an aftermarket device was installed, so inquire about that.
Thanks for the tip. I will inquire about the bluetooth. Any tips on negotiating car prices? I seem to never be good at it and get stuck with their prices! I can tell you that looking at auction reports, this car is selling for 24,600 -25,700 with 62,000-69,000 miles.

----------

@ phlfly - The carfax doesn't have any dealers so no info to call on :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was referring vehicle registration, where was registered before sold on auction.

See you have this guys and they sales only Cadillac cert vehicles Arnold Palmer Motors Latrobe, PA 724-537-9700

Than these guys Smail Auto Group Greensburg, PA, they also sales Cadillac cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was referring vehicle registration, where was registered before sold on auction.

See you have this guys and they sales only Cadillac cert vehicles Arnold Palmer Motors Latrobe, PA 724-537-9700

Than these guys Smail Auto Group Greensburg, PA, they also sales Cadillac cars.
I see what you mean. Here is the information I fond out...not much though.

C Harper(vehicle was purchased here).
- 5,000 mile maintenance on July 31, 2006
- vehicle never came back to original dealer

arnold Palmers
June 23, 2011
- fixed two recalls
- fuse for AUX port plug
- fixed reflector on door
- fix plastic cover for rear aux port plug
- vehicle never came back afterwards

Smail auto group
- waiting on call back from service department

Tom Clark
October 2014
- Safety check
December 2014
- Check engine light
- replaced $29 sensor kit
Jan 2015
- replace left front motor mount
- oil change
- clean throttle and reset idle
- vehicle never came back and was sold at auction to a dealer in Ohio

----------

Smail Auto group called me back.

8/21/13
- TTMS Light (Tire monitoring system)
- AIR Bag light on due to right front impact sensor faulty
- Replace and fixed sensor and reset air bag light

----------

Thank is all the history I ca find except for the inspection and oil change done at the current dealer here where it is for sale.

----------

I just got off the phone with another local Cadillac dealer. The service manager told me to bring the car buy and he will look it over and go on a test drive with me. He mentioned the main thing to look for is the electronically controlled shocks as they go bad. Also if there are any rust on the battery cables, which to replace is $800.00

·
Registered
2007 Escalade AWD Premium, 2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe
164 Posts
Having a good friend and his family in the wholesale/auction car business, I can tell you that these trucks (even older models with excessively high miles) will catch a very high premium at auctions, so don't necessarily let that discourage you (apples vs oranges with regards to a retail buyer). Owning an '07 myself that I purchased used, I'd recommend having the suspension checked out (including the rear air compressor). Motor mounts seem to be a common problem, and make sure all the electronic gizmos work (memory seats, power folding mirrors, heated/ventilated seats, etc) and definitely make sure the power lift gate works/isn't making weird noises. The earlier model years for this generation seemed to have some gremlins within the electronics.

The above poster is correct; bluetooth was NOT made available in these trucks until model year '09, so if it does have bluetooth it's either an aftermarket module or one of the previous owners swapped in a bluetooth VCIM like many of us on the boards have. I wouldn't harp too much on the wheels (though from the pictures I can tell you those are NOT stock, or anything offered from the factory) as long as their mounted/balanced properly and spin straight with no cracks. You can always change the rims later. Finally, if you're looking for a truck of this size and power in this price range, might I suggest the Yukon Denali? You can probably find an '09+ model with similar miles (maybe even less) for the same price. The differences between the denali and escalade for this generation are realistically few and far between. Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,459 Posts
Advice for a 2007, don't buy it.

....Not only did 2007 have problems due to it being a first year redesign, its now 8-9yrs old.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having a good friend and his family in the wholesale/auction car business, I can tell you that these trucks (even older models with excessively high miles) will catch a very high premium at auctions, so don't necessarily let that discourage you (apples vs oranges with regards to a retail buyer). Owning an '07 myself that I purchased used, I'd recommend having the suspension checked out (including the rear air compressor). Motor mounts seem to be a common problem, and make sure all the electronic gizmos work (memory seats, power folding mirrors, heated/ventilated seats, etc) and definitely make sure the power lift gate works/isn't making weird noises. The earlier model years for this generation seemed to have some gremlins within the electronics.

The above poster is correct; bluetooth was NOT made available in these trucks until model year '09, so if it does have bluetooth it's either an aftermarket module or one of the previous owners swapped in a bluetooth VCIM like many of us on the boards have. I wouldn't harp too much on the wheels (though from the pictures I can tell you those are NOT stock, or anything offered from the factory) as long as their mounted/balanced properly and spin straight with no cracks. You can always change the rims later. Finally, if you're looking for a truck of this size and power in this price range, might I suggest the Yukon Denali? You can probably find an '09+ model with similar miles (maybe even less) for the same price. The differences between the denali and escalade for this generation are realistically few and far between. Hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to check out what you have suggested. Plus the service manager at the local cadillac dealer will go over it with me as well. I'll post what I find.

How will I know if an after market module was installed? Does this mean the navigation and screen for the vehicle is not factory?

I am not necessarily looking for power, just more of the size for my family. Having the extra space for traveling on vacations and car seats will be nice! I haven't looked much into the Yukon Denali. I will search and see what I can find.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I went thru buying process not too long ago and I tell you there is not much difference in price between Cadillac and GMC. Even I tell more most Suburban, Yukon XL and ESV is about same price from years 2008-2010, even some 11 th.
So I don't see a reason put out 20,000 to 30,000 for Yukon Denali if Escalade available .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went thru buying process not too long ago and I tell you there is not much difference in price between Cadillac and GMC. Even I tell more most Suburban, Yukon XL and ESV is about same price from years 2008-2010, even some 11 th.
So I don't see a reason put out 20,000 to 30,000 for Yukon Denali if Escalade available .
In your opinion, you like the Escalade better?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade AWD Premium, 2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe
164 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to check out what you have suggested. Plus the service manager at the local cadillac dealer will go over it with me as well. I'll post what I find.

How will I know if an after market module was installed? Does this mean the navigation and screen for the vehicle is not factory?

I am not necessarily looking for power, just more of the size for my family. Having the extra space for traveling on vacations and car seats will be nice! I haven't looked much into the Yukon Denali. I will search and see what I can find.
If there is indeed an aftermarket bluetooth module installed, it's anyone's guess which manufacturer it is. There are several available out there and each are installed/accessed in different ways. If it's a compatible GM bluetooth VCIM, long press the voice control button on the steering wheel and say "OnStar" after it replies, say "bluetooth" if it goes into different options then you have a GM unit. If not, then it either doesn't have bluetooth or it's probably an aftermarket unit. None of this is correlated with the nav screen/unit, from what I can tell that's a factory unit for the '07. With regards to the denali/escalade comparison, like I mentioned the available features are really few and far between. But if it means going for an '07 escalade or an '09+ denali, I'd probably almost go with the denali every time due to it's younger age (and mileage, potentially) but also bc GM added a lot of standard features for these trucks for the '09 model year. Not trying to sway you one way or another(I love my escalade), but given your situation just trying to make suggestions that make sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If there is indeed an aftermarket bluetooth module installed, it's anyone's guess which manufacturer it is. There are several available out there and each are installed/accessed in different ways. If it's a compatible GM bluetooth VCIM, long press the voice control button on the steering wheel and say "OnStar" after it replies, say "bluetooth" if it goes into different options then you have a GM unit. If not, then it either doesn't have bluetooth or it's probably an aftermarket unit. None of this is correlated with the nav screen/unit, from what I can tell that's a factory unit for the '07. With regards to the denali/escalade comparison, like I mentioned the available features are really few and far between. But if it means going for an '07 escalade or an '09+ denali, I'd probably almost go with the denali every time due to it's younger age (and mileage, potentially) but also bc GM added a lot of standard features for these trucks for the '09 model year. Not trying to sway you one way or another(I love my escalade), but given your situation just trying to make suggestions that make sense.
Thank you for the info. I have looked up some Yukon's and they seem to have more millage and or are a little higher than we are willing to spend right now. I found an 08 Yukon 4WD Hybrid with 81,532 miles ffor $22,900. I found an 08 Denali with 97,920 miles for 24,166.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,459 Posts
Advice for a 2007, don't buy it.

....Not only did 2007 have problems due to it being a first year redesign, its now 8-9yrs old.
Don't get caught up in the thought of owning an Escalade. Spend some time digging through the forum and researching possible problems before jumping into something uninformed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't get caught up in the thought of owning an Escalade. Spend some time digging through the forum and researching possible problems before jumping into something uninformed.
I agree, for your price range you can also look into newer model year Yukons (non Denali) and Tahoes nicely optioned with lower miles. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for the prompt responses and advice.

I went to the dealer to look at the vehicle and it was junk! I could tell the front end was in an accident as the bumper was sticking out some. I looked in the engine compartment and it was completely rusted to the axles. The inside of the vehicle looked nothing like the pictures; floors and leather was dirty.

I will continue on my search for an suv!

·
Registered
171 Posts
In your opinion, you like the Escalade better?
I like Escalade better than Yukon
1. front lights
2. Interior - dash board (same categories Tahoe), it just very plane in the Yukon and Tahoe for car that cost 50,000 and +!

But I like Tahoe look outside better than Yukon, and about same as Escalade.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
I like Escalade better than Yukon
1. front lights
2. Interior - dash board (same categories Tahoe), it just very plane in the Yukon and Tahoe for car that cost 50,000 and +!

But I like Tahoe look outside better than Yukon, and about same as Escalade.
I agree completely, My husband had a 2007 Yukon Denali XL before we bought 2, 2013 Platinum Escalades. People notice the difference all the time even though both his old Yukon and his Escalade are black.

If you worry at all about perception of having a "fancy" and expensive truck, don't buy an Escalade. If you want subtle, buy a Suburban/Tahoe or Yukon. Same functionality, similar interior and features as the Escalade but with a more utilitarian perception.

For my husband, it is important to have a perception of success and the Escalade provides that. We bought a second one so that we have the same comforts if we need to use my vehicle while his is being serviced etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes it's "fancy", but what about are people driving BMW, Benz, Lexus, ..... I think it's biased thinking. Of course its hard to explain that used Escalade are not more expensive than any Tahoe or Yukon.
The wealth is not measured by the car you are driving, I think its more in the behavior.
We are nuts here because we like cars and spend time here. But lots people don't care what they are driving, and thinking Escalade is fancy. It's like a food, some people are eating "McDonald's" everyday, some prepare food at home, because they are care what they are actually eating.
Is it fancy ? No, it is not, just I care.
I agree completely, My husband had a 2007 Yukon Denali XL before we bought 2, 2013 Platinum Escalades. People notice the difference all the time even though both his old Yukon and his Escalade are black.

If you worry at all about perception of having a "fancy" and expensive truck, don't buy an Escalade. If you want subtle, buy a Suburban/Tahoe or Yukon. Same functionality, similar interior and features as the Escalade but with a more utilitarian perception.

For my husband, it is important to have a perception of success and the Escalade provides that. We bought a second one so that we have the same comforts if we need to use my vehicle while his is being serviced etc.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
Yes it's "fancy", but what about are people driving BMW, Benz, Lexus, ..... I think it's biased thinking. Of course its hard to explain that used Escalade are not more expensive than any Tahoe or Yukon.
The wealth is not measured by the car you are driving, I think its more in the behavior.
We are nuts here because we like cars and spend time here. But lots people don't care what they are driving, and thinking Escalade is fancy. It's like a food, some people are eating "McDonald's" everyday, some prepare food at home, because they are care what they are actually eating.
Is it fancy ? No, it is not, just I care.
Phlfly I agree with you completely however, I think the OP is coming from a VW and for some people, perception can cause problems so it is an important consideration in that situation.

My last car was an 04 Deville which we bought in 08 for $20k CDN, it cost us $2k more than a loaded 04 Buick LeSabre which we were also looking at. People always thought we went overboard and bought a "fancy, luxury" car and it was too much for me at 29 years old. When we told them what it cost, they were shocked. Since it was a Cadillac, they thought it was far more expensive than a Buick. Given that it was the only car that would fit my gigantic double stroller in the trunk with room to spare, we didn't have many options. My husband needed to have a second car that was still classy enough to take customers in; a minivan did not fit that bill.

Many people buy BMW, Benz and Lexus because they want to be perceived as wealthy even though they paid the same for their "fancy, luxury" car as they would have for a Chevy!

We bought Escalades because we needed 2 vehicles that were big and still classy enough for business use. We had a great experience with my Devile which was incredibly reliable and had a very low cost to maintain so we felt that staying with Cadillac was a good choice for us. We felt that after reading about the German vehicles, maintenance costs were too high and they do not make any the size of an ESV.

Other people may be put off by the perception that they bought an expensive truck when all they really bought was a reliable, affordable, large SUV that just happens to have Cadillac badges instead of Chevy or GMC.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts