Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 deville
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking at 04-05 cts's and thinking about the 3.6L for the extra power. Are there any common problems with the cts or the 3.6L. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, i'm currently studying to become a mechanic and i was just wondering if i could get your guys inputs on the common problems and everyones opinions on what to look for when buying one. Thanks very much to everyone who responds!

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6l Luxury Sport
29 Posts
I am glad I made the choice to go with the 3.6l VVT. It uses regular octane fuel and had a good reliable reputation.

On my '04 I had to do my front sway bar links and struts at 115K kms (70K miles). Otherwise, it is like a timex.

·
Registered
3.6L ~Black Mamba~
204 Posts
I would agree. I too have the 04 3.6l and it is great. I would not get anything but the 3.6l if I had to get a 6 cylinder. It has been very reliable and when properly maintained it should do you great!! You can really put some cool mods on it, too. I installed the sports appearance package on top of my sports package and it is a head turner. Here's an older pic before new paint, wheels, brakes, xpipe, corsa, etc.. You get the point, it is a lot like building a r/c car.. sky is the limit..

Attachments

·
Registered
98 deville
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys for the imputs. I've been looking around and have been wondering if anyone could explain to me what 1SB means? ive seen it on a few adds... and also what are the different package levels?

·
Registered
Cadillac
630 Posts
We don't hear many problems about the 3.6 engine. However, it's the suspension that is lacking, mainly the struts. It seems to be the most common problem on this car.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
55 Posts
I recently bought an '06 w/the luxury package, and am very impressed with the car. Bought it at Carmax for just under $19k, with only 23k on the odo. Still has the new-car smell. I knew the car would be good, but I am more than surprised at how well put-together it is and how fast it is. My past cars are an '95 Porsche, 2000 BMW 3 series ragtop, 2004 BMW 540, and an H2. The CTS is as good as any of those, and is as fast and as nice as the 540 (an almost $60,000 car) so I smile every time I drive it and marvel at what a bargain it is. GM has gotten their act together with this platform. Too bad Washington is probably going to ruin all that.

·
Registered
98 deville
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info guys. I'll keep in mind the struts when looking for one. Any other common problems i should be aware of?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts