Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Escalade Premium AWD
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've been eyeing out an escalade for quite some time, but never seen one inside, until today.

Was shocked to see how little the cargo space is.

We have 3 kids, 13, 4, and 0 (was born a few days ago).

We also have family coming over from overseas, maybe once/twice a year, so if we need to pick them up from airport, with luggage and all that, will be an impossible challenge.

The thought of getting a minivan make me wanna puke :)

I'd like to get some input from people in similar situation, how do you manage with so little cargo space?

Doesn't look like you can even fit a stroller.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Escalade
115 Posts
Toyota sequoias have ridiculous interior space... But then you'd have to drive it. If you do buy one, make sure u get a little soccer ball sticker w/a kids name on it. The GM products ARE cozy inside, that's for sure. Not a lot of people OR luggage space... I'd have to agree. Good luck

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Congrats on the newborn, definitely check out the ESV I have 5 kids and own an ESV and an XL Denali, my ESV has captains chairs so the denali is the primary road trip vehicle

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,132 Posts
The cargo space is no less than any other Yukon, Tahoe or Expedition, for that matter most "SUV's" have much less than the GM line. It sounds like you need an ESV or maybe a Ford Excursion.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
We have 2 Platinum Escalades, a short box and an ESV. The ESV is the family truck and hauls 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 Portuguese Water Dogs, luggage, toys, dog crates, coolers etc. back and forth to the cottage every week with ease and has lots of space for plenty more. Even with all the seats in place, there is lots of cargo space. The short box is fine for me around the town but once all the seats are in, there is very little cargo space.

Invest in the Platinum so that you have several DVD screens and each child will be able to watch whatever they want. It makes for peaceful long hauls, no arguing about who gets to watch which movie.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone. The ESV is way too big, an overkill for us. According to Edmunds the Escalade has 17 cu.ft. of space, while the Benz GL-450 has 14 cu.ft. of space, that's amazing to me, what are they thinking? I don't get it. All they had to do is add a foot, that's all.

I guess the quest for the perfect car is not as easy as originally thought to be...

The Escalade is the perfect size, the ESV and the like are an overkill.

I'm thinking maybe we can use the space between the 2nd row captains' to put a stroller there. In the back, I think it will be enough for grocery bags. I also don't think the ESV and the like would fit in our 2-car garage.

·
Registered
2007 CTS, 2007 ESV
263 Posts
I have an ESV with bench seat it's a nice feature. I also have large cargo roof carrier and a hitch carrier. I have been able to take 5 -6 people and all of our gear on several road trips to canada, hilton head with all the beach gear wagons etc. we go allot. I have yet to not have enough room for all our gear.

·
Registered
NONE
1 Posts
I bought the regular base escalade about a month ago and am in similar situation w/ you (3 kids ranging 6 yrs to 7months). We also have an x5 and all 3 fit across in 2nd row and cargo space is big. Love the escalade and it's working fine so far--so much bigger inside and kids arent cramped together, plus they can easily walk b/n the captains chairs to get to back. I can fit stroller in back (part of our travel system) just fine. My plan is to fold down one of rear seats or take it out if needed for longer trips. I didn't want the ESV size either. I say go for it!

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
I got a good chuckle out of the 0 age. I hate it when people say things like their kids are x months old. No, your kid is x year(s) old. Age is measure in years, otherwise I'm 429.

'd say the Escalade has plenty of room. Just remove the 3rd row seats. Get one with a bench 2nd row and there you go.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, great ideas!

Skins, we're exactly the same setup, except we have an RX300, oldie but goodie :)

It looks like one with a bench is very hard to find, all I see in inventory around us are with captains.

I've looked up similar SUV's (Sequoia, Infiniti QX60, Benz GL-450, etc...), they all got an even smaller cargo space than the escalade (according to Edmunds' specs).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I say you test drive them all and bring your stuff (cars seats, stroller, etc). I know this is time consuming but it is the only true way you will know how comfortable the family will be once you decide.

I have a GL now and it is very roomy but it does have some reliability issues. The Escalades have very good reliability and a much lower to repair.

Also, you can always get a roof box :stirpot:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or a hitch cargo box :)

yeah, that's a good call, we'll need to test-drive with our stuff, to get a feel. Which GL do you have? Edmunds lists the GL-450 having ~14 cu.ft. of cargo space, while the Escalade has ~17 cu.ft. of cargo space (with all seats in place), so the GL should be worse...

·
Registered
NONE
50 Posts
We use the bob stroller and it fits in the back if I pop the wheels off. if I dont need the seats, takes 2 secs to flip them up and just through the stroller in whole.

You can pack a lot back there if you leave the door down and load through the window.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yeah, that's a good trick, loading through the window. The wife prolly couldn't do that, she's 5'1", but I sure can. good call!

·
Registered
2011 ESV, 91 Sedan DeVille, 89 Fleetwood, 76 Sedan Deville
31 Posts
I have an '11 ESV and an '06 Denali XL, it took forever to find an ESV with a Bench seat but when it comes to trips with my 4 kids AND the Grand parents, it cant be beat! Whether to the soccer field with chairs and coolers etc or just luggage for the crew once you go long, you never go wrong :) They both are a bit of a beast for a DD but you get used to it and IMO the pros out weigh the cons, too many times (pre denali) we had to take 2 vehicles and THAT sucks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to have a Honda Odyssey. Traded it for an Escalade. Couldn't fit the bikes at the back. I remember I bought a powerwheels Escalade for my kids and it fit in my Odyssey. Couldn't do that anymore. My kids are now 6 and 8 and can get in and out by themselves and dont have the big carseats anymore. I wouldn't have thought of giving up the minivan if they were still little.

·
Registered
2010 Galaxy Grey Escalade ESV Premium
101 Posts
Bring all your kids on the test drive too. No dealership will want you hanging around with three little kids touching all the shiny cars in the showroom. They'll do your deal quickly to get rid of you.

I have had an Odyssey and an Armada before the ESV. I have test driven Sequoias and Expeditions, but nothing comes close to the ride or the room inside the ESV. Trust me, it might seem like overkill now, but you'll grow into it. Your kids will play sports and you'll need the room. They will want you to drive them places because the big car is more fun than piling into their friend's Mom's minivan.

As far as your wife not being able to reach in the back window, just get a hitch step for her.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great tactic with the kids lol, never thought of that...

The ESV is a tank, i don't think i wanna go there yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Or a hitch cargo box :)

yeah, that's a good call, we'll need to test-drive with our stuff, to get a feel. Which GL do you have? Edmunds lists the GL-450 having ~14 cu.ft. of cargo space, while the Escalade has ~17 cu.ft. of cargo space (with all seats in place), so the GL should be worse...
GL350 diesel - it is a very roomy and third row has better seating space than the Escalade.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts