Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As gas prices continue to rise and Escalade prices continue to fall I am getting ready to buy a low mileage 2007 to replace my wife's SRX.

Are there any major concerns or things I should be looking for when checking them out? Were there many issues on the 2007's verse the 2008's?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I would avoid an '07 if at all possible. They're not as bad as some first year cars, but with an '07 you have the potential for: Severe wind noise at highway speeds from poor fitting doors or mirrors on either side of the truck, Stronger possibility of piston slap (though many '08s still have that, just a GM thing), possible lifter problems on the earliest 2007s, Lack of bluetooth, old keyless remote, higher possibility of catastrophic engine or transmission failures associated with both of these components being first year designs on the 2007 Escalade (which began selling as early as January 2006), and of course less overall warranty left.

Prices for '08s are just about on par with 2007s at this point and sometimes one goes cheaper than the other based on my research. Good luck.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
36 Posts
I bought a 2007 ESV about a month ago with 67k on the odo (69k now). Third owner. Second bought it certified (from my dealer) and kept it for a little over a year and traded for 2011. I still have pt warranty (1 yr) and certified for two years. Carfax was clean, a friend works for GM and pulled warranty history. Not a single mechanical repair and just a few minor repairs probably not even costing $500 retail. Runs, drives and looks like new. Engine is smooth as silk, trans shifts like new. Yes, there is a little wind noise at highway speeds and piston slap. Did lots of research and I'm not real concerned about either. Do your homework and really look over the car. Mine was the best I have seen in the year I was looking and around here you can't swing a stick without hitting an Escalade so lots to choose from. It runs much smoother than my 2008 Yukon SLT but that had AFM which equals lifter tick. Both tick and slap are annoying and embarrasing but go away after a couple of minutes. Just wanted to give you my good story to off-set the bad. Good luck with your search!! Oh! You can buy the new style remote on Ebay for cheap and it takes a minute to program!

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I bought a 2007 ESV about a month ago with 67k on the odo (69k now). Third owner. Second bought it certified (from my dealer) and kept it for a little over a year and traded for 2011. I still have pt warranty (1 yr) and certified for two years. Carfax was clean, a friend works for GM and pulled warranty history. Not a single mechanical repair and just a few minor repairs probably not even costing $500 retail. Runs, drives and looks like new. Engine is smooth as silk, trans shifts like new. Yes, there is a little wind noise at highway speeds and piston slap. Did lots of research and I'm not real concerned about either. Do your homework and really look over the car. Mine was the best I have seen in the year I was looking and around here you can't swing a stick without hitting an Escalade so lots to choose from. It runs much smoother than my 2008 Yukon SLT but that had AFM which equals lifter tick. Both tick and slap are annoying and embarrasing but go away after a couple of minutes. Just wanted to give you my good story to off-set the bad. Good luck with your search!! Oh! You can buy the new style remote on Ebay for cheap and it takes a minute to program!
How much did you get your ESV for?

To the OP, while there are plenty of fine '07s out there (have to admit I'm not bothered by the wind noise all that much either, seems minimal on the pass. side), I guess my point is with a glut of them on the market and '08s nearly the same or equal to in price, it just isn't even worth bothering with the potential AND tangible (no bluetooth) '07 shortcomings. This is our second '07 after the first one had to be replaced for an un-repairable transmission. This one is a one owner 55k truck out of FL that seems to be better assembled, but overall, I would have bought an '08 if they'd had one at this GM dealer.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
44 Posts
I have no problem with mine. Wind noise wasn't a major concern after doing research and expecting it. However, it is much louder than an LX or even Sequoia for that matter. But nothing putting the volume up on the radio can't fix. Lol. Can't really talk about later years since I don't own them nor have I ever been in them.

I do know that late 2007 models have the Escalade nameplate on the right side as opposed to the drivers side as the 2008+ model years. The guages in the 07 and 08 are the same. The gauges changed the 2009 model year.

As far as bluetooth and power tilt steering wheel you are short of luck with either the 07 or 08. You can always add bluetooth though.

If I had the money, I would've opted for an 09+. But oh well. I'm happy.

Run a carfax and find someone to run a GMVIS for you. If you do get one, I have a pair of (hardly used) newer rectangular style remotes/key fobs that I will be selling soon after I get the Viper system. Let me know if interested.

c12ack

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
I have no problem with mine. Wind noise wasn't a major concern after doing research and expecting it. However, it is much louder than an LX or even Sequoia for that matter. But nothing putting the volume up on the radio can't fix. Lol. Can't really talk about later years since I don't own them nor have I ever been in them.

I do know that late 2007 models have the Escalade nameplate on the right side as opposed to the drivers side as the 2008+ model years. The guages in the 07 and 08 are the same. The gauges changed the 2009 model year.

As far as bluetooth and power tilt steering wheel you are short of luck with either the 07 or 08. You can always add bluetooth though.

If I had the money, I would've opted for an 09+. But oh well. I'm happy.

Run a carfax and find someone to run a GMVIS for you. If you do get one, I have a pair of (hardly used) newer rectangular style remotes/key fobs that I will be selling soon after I get the Viper system. Let me know if interested.

c12ack
PM me a price quote on those remotes. I haven't gotten around to replacing mine yet.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Deville
127 Posts
higher possibility of catastrophic engine or transmission failures associated with both of these components being first year designs on the 2007 Escalade (which began selling as early as January 2006), and of course less overall warranty left.
Care to elaborate? :confused:

What is causing these catastrophic failures? Are there some proven records about this?

Not saying those problems wouldn't exist, but just would like to see some material to back the claims up.

I guess either our Escalade has had all the issues (wind noise, piston slap, engine/tranny failures etc.) taken care of because none of them are present and it already has 80K+ miles on it.

Or maybe it is just a ticking time bomb? :suspect: Don't really think so.

Also interesting to see people saying there is no real price difference between 07s and 08s. Well..., I guess I will have to somewhat agree. However, it depends on the price range you are looking.

I was on the lookout for several weeks for sub-$30K Escalades before pulling trigger on the 07 we now have and I have to say that pretty much only ones in that price range were 07s. Unless they had well over 100K miles on them, of course.

EDIT: Yeah, and those old style remotes were the first ones to go. Got two brand new newer style ones for less than 100 bucks off Ebay.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Care to elaborate? :confused:

What is causing these catastrophic failures? Are there some proven records about this?

Not saying those problems wouldn't exist, but just would like to see some material to back the claims up.

I guess either our Escalade has had all the issues (wind noise, piston slap, engine/tranny failures etc.) taken care of because none of them are present and it already has 80K+ miles on it.

Or maybe it is just a ticking time bomb? :suspect: Don't really think so.

Also interesting to see people saying there is no real price difference between 07s and 08s. Well..., I guess I will have to somewhat agree. However, it depends on the price range you are looking.

I was on the lookout for several weeks for sub-$30K Escalades before pulling trigger on the 07 we now have and I have to say that pretty much only ones in that price range were 07s. Unless they had well over 100K miles on them, of course.

EDIT: Yeah, and those old style remotes were the first ones to go. Got two brand new newer style ones for less than 100 bucks off Ebay.
I see you are new, so I will cut you some slack as most of this can be found with a simple search... We have a well respected member on here (hcvone) who had one of his 2007s replaced with less than a thousand miles due to a catastrophic engine failure, and that's not the first I've heard of that issue. The transmission in the first 2007 we had suffered a failure that the dealership finally gave up trying to fix which led to us ending up in our second '07. The first truck also had BAD piston slap, to the point where it would occur even after sitting for just a couple of hours. While your '07 may be perfect, and you seem to have never heard of piston slap in C6 Corvettes etc etc etc, your anecdotal evidence does not change the common issues that are very well detailed in the stickies of this subforum and elsewhere. Given the price similarities in '07s and '08s (this guy doesn't want some high mileage truck, he specifically stated he wants a LOW mileage vehicle to put his wife into, where the price discrepancy between '07s and '08s is minimal if non-existant) I don't see why anyone would purposely advise someone to go for a FIRST year product when they can easily afford a newer year for the same price or maybe even less. Sounds like a lot of defensive BS to me, but if people ask for genuine advice, that's what I give them. They certainly have more of a chance of being HURT by the OLDER vehicle than the newer one so again... for the same money I'd get an '08, plain and simple.

Hell, with gas where it's going I won't be surprised to see some people coming on here bragging about the insane deal they got on '09s for that matter.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Deville
127 Posts
Funny how the guy who has low post count and short time on the board doesn't know his head from his ass... Oh well... I guess I should be thanking you for cutting me some slack.

I was just merely asking a question to back up your oneliner regarding the catastrophic failures you mention, but I'm sorry if that was too much for you and your many posts and so many years on here. No need to get all bent out of shape. I'm sure you have also been around the internet long enough that people usually like to see/hear/read some more facts to back up the things that are so easy to throw around.

So, now you have mentioned one engine failure and one transmission failure. Plus some others. Fine. I guess that needs to be seen as a big problem. No, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but does it really happen more than for, say, LS1s, LS2s etc.? I don't know. Do you? If you do, please share.

Also, I have never anywhere said I have never heard about piston slap issues. Also, I don't think I have never specifically mentioned C6s, yet you bring something like that up. Only thing I have said is that none of the GM vehicles I have owned in the last 10 years have had it.

Like I said already, maybe I have just been lucky so far and the Escalade is a ticking time bomb with it's 80K+ miles. We'll see.

You, sir, just need to take a chill pill and relax, though.

I do, surprisingly enough, agree on something with you, though. And that is that the first year of production should usually be avoided, which I have usually done. This time I went against my own principle and we'll just have to see if it bites me in the ass or not. Time will tell...

My apologies, OP, for cluttering your thread, but I thought I needed to respond to the above. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Funny how the guy who has low post count and short time on the board doesn't know his head from his ass... Oh well... I guess I should be thanking you for cutting me some slack.

I was just merely asking a question to back up your oneliner regarding the catastrophic failures you mention, but I'm sorry if that was too much for you and your many posts and so many years on here. No need to get all bent out of shape. I'm sure you have also been around the internet long enough that people usually like to see/hear/read some more facts to back up the things that are so easy to throw around.

So, now you have mentioned one engine failure and one transmission failure. Plus some others. Fine. I guess that needs to be seen as a big problem. No, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but does it really happen more than for, say, LS1s, LS2s etc.? I don't know. Do you? If you do, please share.

Also, I have never anywhere said I have never heard about piston slap issues. Also, I don't think I have never specifically mentioned C6s, yet you bring something like that up. Only thing I have said is that none of the GM vehicles I have owned in the last 10 years have had it.

Like I said already, maybe I have just been lucky so far and the Escalade is a ticking time bomb with it's 80K+ miles. We'll see.

You, sir, just need to take a chill pill and relax, though.

I do, surprisingly enough, agree on something with you, though. And that is that the first year of production should usually be avoided, which I have usually done. This time I went against my own principle and we'll just have to see if it bites me in the ass or not. Time will tell...

My apologies, OP, for cluttering your thread, but I thought I needed to respond to the above. Good luck with your search!
You are less likely to see catastrophic problems with the mileage as high as you've got than trucks with lower miles, and particularly very low mileage trucks. If yours has been good up to 80k, it is likely that it will continue to be fine. Pat yourself on the back, you got a "Monday" car. I got you confused with someone else in the Corvette piston slap thread as you sound awfully alike, so my apologies for that. If anyone needs to chill it is you, it sounds like you are about to flip your lid with all of those amusing personal volleys. Just another day on the interwebs for me.

·
Registered
993 Posts
My '07 is falling apart. Wind noise, piston slap, lifter tick, engine stalling, spark plugs going bad, coils shot, transmission shifts very rough, etc. Best part is, it's out of warranty (power-train is still active, but it only covers minimal parts), and I have to pay out of my own pocket. Spending $1200 tomorrow to have one spark plug replaced, and some coils. I do love the truck, but I'd stay away from the 2007 model year.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV, GL, S class
59 Posts
As gas prices continue to rise and Escalade prices continue to fall I am getting ready to buy a low mileage 2007 to replace my wife's SRX.

Are there any major concerns or things I should be looking for when checking them out? Were there many issues on the 2007's verse the 2008's?
I bought 2007 ESV two years ago, CPO car (til 10/2012). Experienced wind-noise, which dealer fixed under warranty.

Also got the door trim and door handles replaced, both because of cover material peeling. Other than that, no problem at all.

It's a beautiful car, and still turn lot of head.

FYI, I avg 12.5 mpg, so fill up is not fun at $4/gal. Mine came with 22" wheels, I heard 17-18" wheel, or short wheel base, may yield better mpg, but car might not look as nice.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
408 Posts
I have an 07 and it has been great .. Anything that goes wrong I just take it to the dealer and let them take care of it..I bought mine and it came certified which means bumper to bumper till 100K and the end of 2012.. So my recommendation is get one with a warranty.. Or have them include it with your purchase.. anything goes wrong dealer problem and a rental caddy if it takes too long.. Just have them certify it and your golden.. I love my 07 and don't really agree with any of the complaints from these other owners

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an 07 and it has been great .. Anything that goes wrong I just take it to the dealer and let them take care of it..I bought mine and it came certified which means bumper to bumper till 100K and the end of 2012.. So my recommendation is get one with a warranty.. Or have them include it with your purchase.. anything goes wrong dealer problem and a rental caddy if it takes too long.. Just have them certify it and your golden.. I love my 07 and don't really agree with any of the complaints from these other owners
I am trying to find one under warranty but for what I want to spend $30k for a loaded one with under 50K miles its not easy. My brother is a car dealer so I go through the GM auction listings each week and we bid on a few. Took me 6 months to buy my STS when I did a few years ago. I primary look at the lease returns and we pull the GM service records to see which one was taken care of before we bid.

·
Registered
2007esv
27 Posts
I just purchased an 07 esv with 66k and its still under factory drive train until dec. of this month. already had a motormount replaced. I absolutley LOVE this vehicle!

·
Registered
EXT
26 Posts
i just picked mine up, one owner, 07, black, 35000 miles, for 40k. best truck i ever owned and i bought 3 years extended warranty for 60000km as well. best truck yet, wind noise is not even bad, and i have no piston slap. go for it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
i just picked mine up, one owner, 07, black, 35000 miles, for 40k. best truck i ever owned and i bought 3 years extended warranty for 60000km as well. best truck yet, wind noise is not even bad, and i have no piston slap. go for it.
$40K for an '07? You can pick up some '09s for $45K, and '08s for $40K.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
My dealer had a loaded Quicksilver '08 with 36k they can't get rid of for 42980, and they had my black '07 since July of LAST YEAR.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts