Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 96 STS, excellent shape in and out; 90K miles; engine supposed to be ok; owner says tranny needs service. Are there particular tranny issues with 96 era Sevilles? Even if it needs another tranny, $4K sounds like a good price to me. Opinions?

Also, would a 92 Seville tranny work in a 96 STS?

·
Registered
385 Posts
another tranny will be another 3000-4000 for the tranny and the work done. so, in reality it will be a 8000 car....... good luck

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
jkk said:
I'm looking at a 96 STS, excellent shape in and out; 90K miles; engine supposed to be ok; owner says tranny needs service. Are there particular tranny issues with 96 era Sevilles? Even if it needs another tranny, $4K sounds like a good price to me. Opinions?

Also, would a 92 Seville tranny work in a 96 STS?
It depends on what "service" the transmission needs. If it needs shift solenoids, that's a few hundred bux. If it needs a valve body and torque converter and two gears are shot, well that's going to cost a few more bux. There's not enough information here to make an intelligent decision. $4k is an OK price, as long as it doesn't need a major transmission overhaul. It's not a great price, though. Find out exactly what's wrong with the transmission and get the codes from the computer and post them here before you make any decisions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The current owner said that it 'slips', especially during hard acceleration. Not sure what that means ...
I plan on seeing/driving the car tomorrow. How can I tell if it's solenoids - just by the codes?
Assuming worst case - that it needs a new/rebuilt tranny, I can get a working tranny, 30 day warranty, from a 92 Seville for $200. Does anyone know if a tranny from a 92 Seville will work in a 96 STS?
Or, what other year Cadillacs will have a transmission that will work in this 96?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JC316 said:
I gave less than half that price for my 95 SLS. It too needed "tranny service"= a new tranny.
Sounds like an unusually great deal. Was it high mileage? Was the body in great condition? Let me know your secret so I can get this guy to cut his asking price by 1/2.

·
Super Moderator
86,087 Posts
'92 was a 4T60E teamed to the 4.9. The Northstar uses a 4T80E. You can use any Northstar trans (4T80E) but be sure it has the correct final drive ratio (3.11). The SLS, eldo, Deville use a 3.71. Eldo ETC, STS & DTS use the 3.11.

As far as the tranny goes, it does not sound like solenoids. I am no tranny expert but slipping sounds like a rebuild to me.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
jkk said:
I'll assume worst case - that it needs a new/rebuilt tranny.

I can get a working tranny, 30 day warranty, from a 92 Seville for $200. Does anyone know if a tranny from a 92 Seville will work in a 96 STS?

Or, what other year Cadillacs will have a transmission that will work in this 96?
Well, the transmission you'll need is the 4T80E. The 1992 Seville had a 4T60E in it, so that would be an unfortunate no. New 4T80Es are about $2600 after core charges and shipping.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I look at a transmission, what's the easiest way to distinguish the 4T80E from the 4T60E?

Is there also some way to determine the final drive ratio (3.11 vs 3.71 per Ranger) by looking at the tranny?

·
Super Moderator
86,087 Posts
I am sure there is a way to visually distinguis the 4T60E from the 4T80E but I don't know how. Like wise I am sure there is a way to determine the final drive ratio but again I am clueless. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OH yeah - don't know how I forgot this. The current owner (a broker) said that the repair estimate was $1000. So, that obviously means repairing the current tranny and not installing a new one.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
How to tell the difference between a 4t80e and a 4t60e. The 60e will be very small and have a dipstick tube coming off from it. A 80e is a big mother fuc*er, that has a dipstick that goes directly into the side case and it has a plate on top the says "4T80-E".

Mine needed a little bit of paint, tires and a wheel bearing. It had 150K on the clock, the body is perfect, and was in overall decent shape. He went from $2900 to $1600, but he lied to me. He said that the transmission shifted fine, when it didn't. I got a tranny with 60K and all of the upgrades for $400 and the car runs great now. He just installed a new A/C compressor, alternator, plugs, and wires. A big plus for me.

If it is sliping, you can bet on a new transmission. The solenoids symptoms are 2nd gear only and a SES light. Offer him 2 grand for it and I bet he will take it. Figure $1500-$2500 to get your tranny rebuilt or get a new one. If you do it yourself, figure $500 for a junkyard tranny.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Ranger said:
'92 was a 4T60E teamed to the 4.9. The Northstar uses a 4T80E. You can use any Northstar trans (4T80E) but be sure it has the correct final drive ratio (3.11). The SLS, eldo, Deville use a 3.71. Eldo ETC, STS & DTS use the 3.11.

As far as the tranny goes, it does not sound like solenoids. I am no tranny expert but slipping sounds like a rebuild to me.
Are you sure it's 3.11 for the ETC, STS, and DTS, and 3.71 for the others? I know some site I saw had them listed that way but it still sounds backwards to me.

·
Super Moderator
86,087 Posts
Hmm, now you have me wondering. The ETC, SLS & DTS will run higher RPMs at any given speed due to the lower gear ratio. That I know. Unless I have it backwards, the lower gear ratio is also lower numericaly, correct? In other words, a 3.71 will turn higher RPM at 70 MPH than a 3.11 at 70 MPH. I think that is correct.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The SLS, Normal eldo, and normal deville use 3.11 gears. The STS, ETC, and DTC use the Higher, but lower, 3.71.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The higher the number, the lower the gear is. Meaning a 3.71 pulls harder and turns the motor faster than a 3.11.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Ranger said:
Oops, then I stand corrected. I had it bassackwards. Never could kep that straight. Sorry.
It confused me for a long time, until I started browsing all of the car forums.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So how do I tell if a certain tranny has a 3.11 or 3.71, other than counting revolutions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello i have a 95 seville sts for sale, Blue exterior, cream leather interior, its in very good condition, tranny shifts excellent, cars looks very nice and rides great. it has 111k it does not leak a drop of anything, im asking 5500 shoot me an offer maybe we can work something out. I live in arizona, email me at [email protected]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
10 Participants
JC316