Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I found a really nice 2012 Cadillac CTS AWD (3.0 L) w/ 27,000 miles for $23,500 in NE Ohio. Very Clean!

Just a few questions:

1. Are there any inherent issues I need to be aware of and lookout for?

2. Are these vehicles relatively reliable (should I be looking for a RWD model)?

3. The car makes a thumping sound when stopping from a higher rate of speed - I am assuming that its a rotor issue. Rotors were resurfaced @ 7,000 miles. Tires don't make noise at any speed (up to 85 MPH) Michelin
4. Lastly, what should I be looking for on these models. Items that need a closer look before purchase.

I don't work on my own vehicles any longer - but somewhat mechanically inclined.

Nice to be here - thank you for the input.

John

----------

Here's the LINK: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=44512&endYear=2016&modelCode1=CTS&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=566558&startYear=1981&makeCode1=CAD&searchRadius=25&maxPrice=28000&showcaseListingId=396405559&mmt=[CAD[CTS[]][]]&listingId=395614441&Log=0

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 LY7
285 Posts
Re: Looking to Buy 2012 Cadillac CTS AWD ... Just a Few Questions.

I don't recall seeing many posts about the 3.0L, usually no news is good news. This cars feature overview doesn't show the Nav system which would eliminate those issues. It's got the sunroof, so if it was in the rain under trees, etc. the drains in the corners might clog leaving water on the floor. Should check all locks, windows, switches, lamps, seat adjusters etc. i.e. all electrical gadgets. I personally would recommend RWD if you don't have any use for AWD. Rotors resurfaced at 7K seems odd. I guess I'd want to confirm that the 'thumping sound' is just rotors (is there any 'vibration'?) or at least confined to wheel/brake issues and not deeper in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
NONE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I don't recall seeing many posts about the 3.0L, usually no news is good news. This cars feature overview doesn't show the Nav system which would eliminate those issues. It's got the sunroof, so if it was in the rain under trees, etc. the drains in the corners might clog leaving water on the floor. Should check all locks, windows, switches, lamps, seat adjusters etc. i.e. all electrical gadgets. I personally would recommend RWD if you don't have any use for AWD. Rotors resurfaced at 7K seems odd. I guess I'd want to confirm that the 'thumping sound' is just rotors (is there any 'vibration'?) or at least confined to wheel/brake issues and not deeper in the drivetrain.
Thanks for the reply.

NE Ohio it's a good idea to have AWD - but I think simplier is always better.

No real vibration outside of the thumping when braking. Resurfacing the rotors at 7k does seem odd to me, as well - but if you brake late (and hard) and keep your foot down after you stop, it can warp a rotor, due to the excessive heat.

I was thinking of asking the dealer to replace all the rotors and brakes with new (about $500 in parts) and tell him I'll pay for the parts if he foots the labor. Then I'll be good as gold.

Also, what are the warranty periods on these? 3/36 - I was thinking of getting the extended warranty on the engine/drivetrain at least.

If for the wifey.

Thanks

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
968 Posts

FWIW, my wife has a 2012 CTS AWD with the 3.6 engine that is pretty much fully optioned including sunroof. The car currently has about 20 K miles on it and to date it has been flawless in the every way. Absolutely zero issues/ complaints.

Did install a catch can from Elite Engineering around 13 K miles. Would definitely invest in one. Am always impressed with the amount of oil that it traps !

From a performance standpoint the RWD version will be a little stronger than the AWD for the obvious reason.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts
FWIW, my wife has a 2012 CTS AWD with the 3.6 engine that is pretty much fully optioned including sunroof. The car currently has about 20 K miles on it and to date it has been flawless in the every way. Absolutely zero issues/ complaints.

Did install a catch can from Elite Engineering around 13 K miles. Would definitely invest in one. Am always impressed with the amount of oil that it traps !

From a performance standpoint the RWD version will be a little stronger than the AWD for the obvious reason.

Same here. 3.6 awd 2012 fully loaded. Now with 60k miles. No trouble at all. Go for it. Fantastic car

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts

If you're paying the asking price I would have the dealer change all pads and rotors on their dime. If you live in a snow belt you will love the AWD especially if
you decide to run studded snow tires like I do. I have had my 2011 AWD 3.0L for 16 months now and it has 45,000 miles. I've done nothing but oil changes and
absolutely love the car.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Luxury 3.0 AWD Red
34 Posts

I have the same car but with fewer miles. My only comment would be to check service bulleitin PI0700B
"Shudder Feel While Driving 40 to 50 MPH". It is not likely you will notice it in a short test drive. Also less likely you will notice it in warm weather. I'm not saying you will have that issue. Just something to look at because it's no fun to deal with.

·
Registered
NONE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Good information - thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 3.6L AWD Sportwagon
27 Posts

I have a 2010 CTS4 (AWD) Premium-trim, sport Wagon. At 48K miles or so, the drive train quit working while in cruise
control at 68 mph on Interstate 5. The engine did a little overspeed as the drivetrain disconnected. I coasted to a
stop alongside the freeway safely. I was stranded over 400 miles from home. Engine idled and revved normally,
but no go in automatic or manual modes. Put the car in Park and car still rolled. OK, as I did with my Audi AWD
wagon, I called roadside assistance and ordered a flatbed.

Flatbed arrived and neither flatbed driver, nearest Cadillac dealership, nor owner's manual had a clue on how to get
CTS4 onto the flatbed. There was no threaded tow-hook recepticle behind bumper mask, and car is too low with
long overhang and engine bellypan to hook pull strap/ cable to. Next tow driver arrived with "Dolly" system placed
under wheels.
Problem was stripped splines on transmission output shaft between tranny and transfer case. Dealer repaired it
piecemeal finally overhauling transfer case and replaced shaft with new upgraded model. Dealer would not comment
if transmission was inspected for damage, would not let me examine damaged parts, and transfer case leaked oil
from sloppy repair when I got home. I am not sure that my transmission can be trusted. GM customer service and
GM Executive were of no help, but they do provide good lip service. Transfer case on AWD was serviced three times.
It must be the weak link.

----------

P.S. depending on how knowledgeable dealer service people are, they will tell you that threaded tow hook assembly is only
for export models where European ferry boats require a "tie down" point(s) to keep cars from rolling. I am also told they were
not installed on any AWD vehicles to keep driver/ owner from towing the car improperly (down the road or onto flatbed). No
mention on how to retrieve the car in the (2010) thick owner's manual. good Luck.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,163 Posts

Who paid for the repairs? If it is under warranty, then I can understand GM not letting you see the parts. Not saying I agree but I understand,and I would have complained, too. However, if you paid for the fix, then they absolutely should have given you the old parts with no question.

12,778 Posts

I have a 2010 CTS4 (AWD) Premium-trim, sport Wagon. At 48K miles or so, the drive train quit working while in cruise
control at 68 mph on Interstate 5. The engine did a little overspeed as the drivetrain disconnected. I coasted to a
stop alongside the freeway safely. I was stranded over 400 miles from home. Engine idled and revved normally,
but no go in automatic or manual modes. Put the car in Park and car still rolled. OK, as I did with my Audi AWD
wagon, I called roadside assistance and ordered a flatbed.

Flatbed arrived and neither flatbed driver, nearest Cadillac dealership, nor owner's manual had a clue on how to get
CTS4 onto the flatbed. There was no threaded tow-hook recepticle behind bumper mask, and car is too low with
long overhang and engine bellypan to hook pull strap/ cable to. Next tow driver arrived with "Dolly" system placed
under wheels.
Problem was stripped splines on transmission output shaft between tranny and transfer case. Dealer repaired it
piecemeal finally overhauling transfer case and replaced shaft with new upgraded model. Dealer would not comment
if transmission was inspected for damage, would not let me examine damaged parts, and transfer case leaked oil
from sloppy repair when I got home. I am not sure that my transmission can be trusted. GM customer service and
GM Executive were of no help, but they do provide good lip service. Transfer case on AWD was serviced three times.
It must be the weak link.

----------

P.S. depending on how knowledgeable dealer service people are, they will tell you that threaded tow hook assembly is only
for export models where European ferry boats require a "tie down" point(s) to keep cars from rolling. I am also told they were
not installed on any AWD vehicles to keep driver/ owner from towing the car improperly (down the road or onto flatbed). No
mention on how to retrieve the car in the (2010) thick owner's manual. good Luck.
Hi CTSPiper,

I apologize for the frustration you experienced and that you are not happy with the resolution. I'd be happy to look into your experience in more detail if you would like. Just send a private message with your VIN, mileage, preferred dealership and contact information and someone will get back to you soon. Thanks!

Alison B.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
46 Posts

Who paid for the repairs? If it is under warranty, then I can understand GM not letting you see the parts. Not saying I agree but I understand,and I would have complained, too. However, if you paid for the fix, then they absolutely should have given you the old parts with no question.
A dealer has to hold parts replaced under warranty for 15 days beyond the date the claim is paid, so it's no big deal to show a customer defective parts. GM doesn't have a policy prohibiting customers from seeing replaced parts, but in my 35 years in the business, I've only had to do it once.

·
2005 Deville
2012 CTS AWD, 2005 DeVille
62 Posts

I live in NW Ohio and have a 2012 3.0L with AWD. I wouldn't be without the AWD here. Got it last December and went through all the snow with no issues. However, my 2001 DeVille with FWD is still better in the snow, but it was better than my Explorer with 4WD too. The car had 72k on it when I purchased it and is up to almost 80k now. The only issue that I have had so far is a check engine light that keeps coming on. At first, it seemed to be a gas cap issue. I'd check the codes and it would show loose cap or vacuum leak, etc. Now it still goes off after tightening the gas cap, so I purchased a new gas cap (least expensive place to start) but the light keeps coming on. Other than that, the car has been awesome.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,163 Posts

Worst case is take it to Taylor Cadillac or your independent mechanic.

·
Registered
2015 CTS 3.6 Sedan, 2014 XTS4 V-Sport
21 Posts

Just my $.2, don't go with the 3.0 I have the same awd 3.0 4 door, and it is just too underpowered, and the gas mileage is pretty bad, I can only get 21 highway, best I have ever gotten was cross country, 24mpg..

·
Registered
2008 SRX V6 AWD
38 Posts

I have the 3.0 AWD 2012, purchased CPO on 2/28/15. I have put on 5K miles on it so far, and I get 25 MPG unless I am stuck in traffic. 80% travel on the DC area Beltway. I had an 2 SRXs prior to this car, and the CTS has worked well for me. I just had it in for service, and had a free oil change/rotation of tires, which runs until the original warranty expires at 4yr/50K, so check the in service date. While the 3.6 engine has more power, I don't need it. I would buy the car again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts