Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 1994 STS in three days. I have been around your site for a week and a half now. (I just want yalls opinion Especialy Rangers). I called and talked to the guy he is willing to take $2000 cash for a '94 STS that looks to be in good shape:thumbsup:. After talking to him I discoverd that the STS has two problems (that he was willing to tell me about): 1. It gets hot, quote "It doesnt over heat it justs gets hot" and 2. It has a hard time starting "you have to crank it a couple of times". After going through this site I have decided based off of all the aformentioned information that these problems are either minor a few things here and there or its headgasket related. If its injectors, FPR, fuel pump, for the rough start thats fine. If it needs a coolent system flush, a new thermostat, hell even a new radiator, thats ok. If yall think that its more head gasket related Ill start looking for something else. I go to look at it on Tuesday, any and all tips on things to look for would be great. Thanks yall

Oh here is discription: Very clean, beautiful car. Clean and clear title, good tires, nice rims, cd player, Bose stereo, alarm, leather, wood trim, power everything, 132k miles. Runs and can drive anywhere on the island, but needs a little mechanical work to be perfect. Priced well below blue book at $2,200 or make me an offer.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,091 Posts
No. 2 is no big deal. Probably a fuel pump relay or a FPR.

Be very carefull about no.1 though. It could be something as simple as a weak cap or sticking thermostat, but I would not touch it unless I confirmed via a coolant test or a cylinder pressure test that the head gaskets are not what is causiing it to "run hot". That is usually the first indication. "Priced well below blue book at $2,200 or make me an offer." I suspect he knows a bit more than he is telling.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Ranger thats what I was thinking. Would it be rude to preform a combustion leak test on someone elses car while you just looking at it?
tisk:

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
It's not rude to have car checked out before you buy. Before I purchase a used car I usually have trusted friend or mechanic look at car to give me second opinion. I even brought a car to a dealer to have then run check up on car before i purchased. (Cost me one hour labor - $50 at the time - several years ago) If owner refuses - don't buy! Honest seller will usually work with buyer as long as it does not cost them anything.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Personally I would run far and fast from any northstar with 132k and cooling issues. Here's a couple things to look for as far as headgaskets go.

The best thing you can possibly do is go to pepboys or autozone and buy coolant test strips that will test the coolant for exhaust gases. If there are exhaust gases in the coolant, bad headgasket.

Next best thing to do would be to have a mechanic do a cylinder leak test, you should have a knowledgable mechanic inspect the car before you buy it anyway.

Look at the oil, if its milky, thats coolant, and thats bad. Also you can check the tailpipe for coolant in the exhaust, or any white smoke out the exhaust, thats coolant being burned off too.

Exactly how hot does it run? After I had my headgaskets repaired the car never ever got past 200 degrees. Before the headgasket was completely gone it would be between 210-225, when it failed it shot up to 250-265.
You really have to be cautious, since a head gasket repair is between 3000-4000 dollars. Again, I would never buy a northstar that has any type of cooling issue. People usually get them thinking its only a radiator or water pump, then spoend the money to replace these things, only to find out its a headgasket.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,091 Posts
Thanks Ranger thats what I was thinking. Would it be rude to preform a combustion leak test on someone elses car while you just looking at it?
tisk:
I guess it depends on how you go about it. Come right out and ask if he has had it checked for possible head gasket leaks. He'll probably say no. Ask if he minds if you do it. If he refuses, thank him and say goodbye. I'm still very suspicious.

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado ESC
1,362 Posts
Personally I would run far and fast from any northstar with 132k and cooling issues. Here's a couple things to look for as far as headgaskets go.

Look at the oil, if its milky, thats coolant, and thats bad.

Northstars DO NOT put coolant in the oil when a headgasket fails.

I've seen Northstars with 187k with original headgaskets that ran great.
It's all in the maintenance, ask for records/receipts.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Yall I am going tonight to buy a Leak test I go to see the car tomarrow. We shall see if its is what he says it is. I hate to turn down such a beautiful car but I am no fool. If it is trash than I will really start checking the lemon lots more around here and Ill be right back on craigslist. thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts