Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently own a 2006 Cadillac STS with heated seats, steering and seat tilt, bose sound system, etc. I am looking into buying a 2008 or 2009 Cadillac CTS with all the features I have currently, as well as with Navigation and a sun roof. The sun roof is not a must, since I can have it installed later on. I have a few questions first though. 1. Are there any major or minor differences with the 2008 or 2009 CTS? (Besides price) 2. Are the 2008 or 2009 CTS' reliable? 3. Which models of the '08 or '09 are direct fuel injection 3.6L V6? 4. What are your overall thoughts on the '08 and '09 CTS'?

Appreciate yall's help!

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
There is quite a bit of info on the 08s and 09s in this forum. I personally wouldn't touch them but that decision is yours. 08 was the first year of the new
generation which makes it advisable to stay away from.

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
From what I've seen (both here and with my father-in-law's '08) I wouldn't even think of buying those model years. Even if a '10 and up costs more up front, it'll probably pay off in reliability. I personally would also avoid the AWD model no matter what year.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I can find a '10 model that is reasonably priced I should stick to that one instead of a '09?

----------

Note: I am only 16 years old, prefer a car to last me about 5-6 years. The '10 costs a little too much out of my price range so the '09 attracts my attention better but I want a car thats reliable at the same time.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,170 Posts
The '09 can/may have a timing chain issue that will end up costing you big bucks. That is why we recommend the 10 and newer model years.

·
Registered
Previous:2005 Cadillac XLR; Current:2014 Cadillac CTS Coupe
299 Posts
Agreed, 10 was the year these cars finally settled down. Most design flaws worked out.

The '09 can/may have a timing chain issue that will end up costing you big bucks. That is why we recommend the 10 and newer model years.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome guys appreciate the guidance. Could yall give me the details on what package has what features in it? I prefer heated seats, steering and seat tilt, bose sound, and navigation. What type of price range am I looking at here also?

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
263 Posts
From your description, nothing less than the Premium package will be acceptable. You should be able to find a 2010-2011 sedan with that package in the low 20s. Maybe even under 20K.

Shakey

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome thanks for the help. Glad I asked yall about this or I would have gone with the '09 probably. '10 sounds good and reliable to me, want a car that will also me a while considering Ill mod it a bit too. If there is anything else I should know about the '10 feel free to let me know.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
29 Posts
I own a 2008 AWD cts, have had it now for 4 years, it currently has 205,000 Km. I have had no problems at all beside basic things that all cars require. It is a tank in winter ( lots of snow here) it will go through anything.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,170 Posts
3.6 engine is more desirable than the 3.0. Neither have much in the add-on engine aftermarket parts, but the 3.6 definitely has more giddyup. :getaway:

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with you tinman, 3.6 is awesome. Im going to make sure its 3.6L DI, so I can add magnaflow exhaust's to it and maybe even supercharge the v6.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-4, Sedan,Tuscan Bronze
388 Posts
Since you're in N.C. you don't need AWD and I'm not sure why you need heated seats. Remember the less options the less that can go wrong.
Are you sure that at the age of 16 you want to make the financial commitment it takes to buy a Cadillac and keep it in running condition? Good luck with the new car
whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with you that I don't need AWD, however the heated seats come in handy here due to cold winters.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with you that I don't need AWD, however the heated seats come in handy here due to cold winters.

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,019 Posts
My dad bought an '09 3.6 DI AWD Performance or Premium (I don't remember) new and has zero issues with it. He follows the OLM and has the recommended services performed. He's got close to 70k on it now. He changed the OEM tires to the new Michelin A/S Pilots last summer and says the car rides better now than new. Just my $.02 about the '09s.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I suppose it's safe to say that if you maintain a car well regularly and drive it with care, you can make it last. Still am leaning towards '10 model though.

·
Registered
09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere
404 Posts
09 MY here. I follow the OLM and have the recommended services performed. Close to 80k on it now. The engine does not consume oil - just checked and still at the full mark on the dip stick and the OLM says 50% left. I always request the dealer to use Mobil 1 full synthetic. With RWD, I get good gas mileage as well - 28-29 mpg on the freeway using 87 octane.

My car is not among those with the extented timing chain warranty. I guess it depends of the build date of the car. I know mine is a late 09 MY with a build date of March 2009. Hopefully they had switched/changed the design of the timing chain at that time... Overall, I'm very satisfied with my CTS and just enjoy drive it, every day!!

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad to hear that about the '09, if I come across an '09 in good shape and not a ton of miles I will be sure and test drive and see what year and date it was built.

·
Registered
SOLD
228 Posts
I've got an 09 (fully loaded); a few issues with it that are common in all model years.
Mine potentially can have the timing chain stretch; I make sure to check my oil level often and only use Mobile1.
I'm really happy with it so far.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts