Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, 87 Cadillac Brougham
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm am currently trying to find the headlight, highbeam circuit on my 87 cadillac brougham. I looked under the drivers side dash and could not find it? Any help with this? Thanks.

·
Registered
78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
1,150 Posts
Whats wrong? Only your low beams work and no high beam? I found that on my 80 coupe there is a fusible link in the wiring harness close to the radiator support and it had melted causing the malfunction of the high beams. I replaced it with a in-line fuse and presto.
You might check the high beam dimmer switch on steering wheel or the connectors leading out from it.

·
Registered
86 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, 87 Cadillac Brougham
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At first the headlights went out then the high beams. I checked the fuse diagram and could not find the headlight fuse and before I continue to troubleshoot I would like to find out where this fuse is.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,257 Posts
There are no fuses for just the headlamps. The light switch is powered through the TAIL LIC fuse (20 AMP), but if that was out, you wouldn't have any instrument panel lights. There is a circuit breaker in the light switch, and it only works the headlamps.

I don't believe the circuit breaker can be removed from the light switch, so you should just replace the whole assembly. I recommend getting an AC DELCO switch, because DELCO it OEM for all GM applications.

If replacing the switch doesn't resolve the issue, you may need to replace the sentinel amplifier (assuming your car has the Twilight Sentinel option). The amplifier is located behind the instrument panel, beneath the light switch.

·
Registered
Orange And Purple Lights.
6,634 Posts
You will have to remove that part of the dash to change the switch, yes. It is not really a difficult process. The screws are all pretty obvious, with the possible exception of the two on each side of the speedometer cutout. From there, the headlamp switch IIRC, is held in by two simple hex bolts.

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
^^If and when you do get to dismantling your dash to repair the failed circuits, be very gentle with all the small (9/32 head size) fasteners. They all screw into plastic which strips out very easily. Good luck.

Cheers..........R.

·
Registered
1980 FBC
3,457 Posts
The factory service manual is your best friend.

From experience the #1 trouble spot in this car would be the dimmer switch socket located in the steering column.

That is not to say it is your problem, just a known trouble spot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 1987 Cadillac brougham and my headlights are not turning on. My running lights work. I just installed a new headlight switch and nothing. So I decide to check the voltage and I’m getting power from the switch to the fuse box but nothing from the fuse box to the bulbs. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts