Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer today to take care of some warranty issues. One of them is the driveline vibration/resonance at 75-77 mph. I took one of the service guys for a ride and he agreed there was an issue. Then, by the time the day was done, the tech had took it for a drive and said there was something between 58-62 mph, but that was just "typical for the Vs." I explained to the service guy that the problem was over 70 mph and there should be information on this issue, but he checked the warrany records and the tranny has already been replaced on my car back in 06. Regardless... my car has this problem and I would like it fixed if possible before it gets out of warranty. They ordered some other parts for my car today, so I have to take it back next week and I'd like to go back armed with some info.

Anyone who had this problem, can you confirm that the problem is totally gone when the tranny is replaced? I can turn it on and off by shifting from 5th to 6th, so I am convinced there is a problem in the tranny.

Can someone give me the # for the service bulletin (or however they identify them)? Better yet, if someone has a copy they could email me would be even better.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
CTS V
122 Posts
I took my car in for the exact same thing. I had the TSB in hand and told them hey it only happens in 6th gear between 70-78mph. It says clear as day on the TSB "If only in 6th gear, then tranny replacement may be required" The service manager insisted on breaking down tranny which took a boat load of hrs. After the tranny was apart I was told my bearings where shot and they were replaced. I haven't picked the car up yet. So my fingers are crossed, I got a feeling I'll be going back with the same 6th gear issue.

·
Registered
CTS-V
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took my car in for the exact same thing. I had the TSB in hand and told them hey it only happens in 6th gear between 70-78mph. It says clear as day on the TSB "If only in 6th gear, then tranny replacement may be required" The service manager insisted on breaking down tranny which took a boat load of hrs. After the tranny was apart I was told my bearings where shot and they were replaced. I haven't picked the car up yet. So my fingers are crossed, I got a feeling I'll be going back with the same 6th gear issue.
Ugh. Sounds about par for the course. This is why I hate dealing with stealerships. It's like you are going to trial every time you go in there. I went in with 3 issues and they agreed to 1 of them, so my average isn't so good. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
CTS-V
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I may have the same noise, I can hear it better when going uphill...only in 6th...
Mine is quite clear just cruising at 75-77 mph... it doesn't necessarily have to be up hill. Sitting in the back seat is the best place to experience it... or pushing your head toward the windshield up front...

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
358 Posts
I had this issue. At 77, I could lightly push the gas in 6th and there would be a low frequency vibration that you could feel in your butt, but also sounded like a subwoofer hitting really low bass. It only happened in 6th. I brought it by the dealership. Their tech drove it and rode with me. He agreed immediately that there was a problem. I gave him the bulletin and he agreed that I needed a new transmission.

The dealer called GMPP, and they sent out a field rep to drive the car. He did and confirmed the problem. He had the dealership tear the transmission down to see if they could figure out what was going on. In the meantime, I called Tremec and spoke with their head tech about this issue. Apparently, the CTS-V T56 has been updated numerous times since 2004. He "said" he couldn't pinpoint the source of our 6th gear problems, and straight up told me that there were no way in hell the dealership's mechanics were going to be able to figure out what was going on. He said that what was causing the problem probably wouldn't be apparent anyway.

After a pulling the tranny, the dealer called me and told me that they couldn't figure out what was wrong. GMPP made noise like it was going to argue that the transmission issue was a preexisting condition, and weren't going to cover it (I had only had my car a few months). At the end of the day, they agreed to fix it.

Then I find out that Tremec has not made any T-56's for our car lately, and there were zero new ones available. Apparently, there is a line of people sitting around waiting on these things too, and I was at the back. This was in early March BTW. Tremec said that they wouldn't be making any until mid April. (Maybe there are some out there now). GMPP wanted me to go with some "demo" transmission that "came out of a test vehicle" and that GM's techs had "rebuilt". I passed on that deal, and convinced GMPP to just buy me a "remanufactured" T-56 from RPM Transmission for $2500 (which was much cheaper than a new T-56). The new tranny just happened to be the Level V that RPM offers with all upgraded internals. It's smoooooth as silk now.

Anyway, any of you guys who are getting a replacement transmission, I'd advise against a remanufactured one, that is, unless you can convince your warranty company to get an upgraded one like I did. There's just no telling what's causing the 6th gear vibration issue, and I didn't want to have to come back to the dealer with a remanufactured '04 or '05 tranny with the same issue later.

Also, while my tranny was out, I got the dealer to put a LS7 clutch/flywheel with Katech spacer and LAPD remote bleeder in my car. They did it for $188 - including fluid, parts, labor, etc. I swear to you, the clutch/flywheel made an enormous difference in driveability. BTW, with the remote bleeder, and Katech spacer, there should be no reason to have to cut or notch anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts