Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  N0DIH 
#1 ·
Anyone have the P/N for the T84 Export headlights for the 93-96 Fleetwood Brougham? I know someone here did find them.

Cadillac lists P/N 16520239 for LH and 16520240 for RH on the T85 export headlights, but I am very sure these are the LH Rule of the Road lights (England/Japan/etc).

Anyone know how to find the T84 option lights?

Also, are the 93-94 headlights interchangeable with the 95-96? The Cad dealer broke them down the same, but didn't let me know if the p/n's were different.

Thanks!!

#3 ·
They are the Right Hand Rule of the Road, once you have seen them, you won't want anything else. They light up the shoulder and road signs, but have zero oncoming traffic glare. They are AWESOME in fog, absolutely no light is allowed above a specific point, so no glare in front of you from the light hitting the fog.

AND, an awesome light pattern that is usable and effective in any driving conditions. MUCH brighter. The H1 and H4 lights (high and low) are 10x better than anything you can get, except MAYBE those high voltage HID's. And even then, the RH Rule of the Road lights have a better pattern. RANGE of the lights on high beams (I had 90w low beams and 130w high beams, and 100w high beams in my 1980 Turbo T/A, the range on the lights was like 2200 ft on high beams!!) Granted, I had the higher power lights, but they are designed to handle high power lights, were US lights are a joke, and do not much more than 2 little spots on the road and glare other drivers because most cars are out of adj when they drive out the factory.

Once you have tried them, there is no substitute. None.

#4 ·
Hmm....I REALLY want to know more now. Strangely, in the 2.5 years we've had the car, I honestly don't think I've been out at night in the car more than a handful of times.

That said, the last time I did (a few weeks ago when I was home), I scared the hell out of myself, because it was raining (not the problem), but I couldn't see ANYTHING with the damn lights. For a basic square design, you think they'd give off more light, but they only seem to be worthwhile when on High.

Am definately interested in these parts too, if they are still available at all, for my next Fleetwood...which, hopefully, won't be far away.

#6 ·
Unfortunately I drive a night very often, and had a close call with a deer the other night, the Escalade in the other lane even closer! Fortunately both of us missed it. But if I had the T84's, I would have very likely seen the deer long before it jumped across the road.

Nothing yet. I might have to figure out how to contact a GM dealer in Europe that speaks english! Maybe the England GM dealers can help find the T84's? They would list the T85's for sure, but T84's??

The guy at the dealer said headlights stay in the system for a long time.

#10 ·
To be 100% honest, the headlights aren't very good on the '93-'96 Fleetwoods but on MY car, I have found that a set of Sylvania Silver Stars and properly aiming the lamps do a world of good for your night vision. I remember there WERE at least a couple guys that ended up getting the "euro" lamps but I really don't know if they were any better.

#11 ·
Katshot said:
To be 100% honest, the headlights aren't very good on the '93-'96 Fleetwoods but on MY car, I have found that a set of Sylvania Silver Stars and properly aiming the lamps do a world of good for your night vision. I remember there WERE at least a couple guys that ended up getting the "euro" lamps but I really don't know if they were any better.
Do you have any problems with the Silver Stars not lasting? I know from a lot of other vehicle-specific boards, like one for Tahoes and Suburbans, that owners like the Silver Stars but constantly have problems with them burning out after very little use. A lot them end up going back to the stockers to avoid the aggravation.

Any problems on the Fleetwood? This might be a good idea too, and a LOT cheaper, so that I may be able to see at night when driving the big whale...

#12 ·
I tired 1 silver star (9007) on my Aerostar van because one went out. I was curious on it it worked better. Although it LOOKED better from the front, on the road, there was no difference at all.

Anyone try those new GE lights? They are claiming to be better too. I personally am ready to go back to http://www.rallylights.com/ and get some REAL lights. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/bulbs.asp.

I am not fond of the blue ones, they just look bad in most cases. I had a pair that claimed to be 100w, but with all that blue paint, it was worse than the factory light! If anyone wants them, I have 4 of them somewhere, just pay shipping or stop by. I think they sucked bad. Some off brand from the net....

Probably some crap like this: "*65 Watt draw for 130 Watt Output*" I have 130w bulbs in my 80 T/A, they can't handle the light they put out!!! They are awesome! And will burn your leg if you stand in front of it wearing shorts!!

Check this one on the bottom of this page: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/9005.asp hmmm.... Gimick? The guy who owns Rallylights.com is straight up guy, honest and fair. I have dealt with him before and was pleased.

Check this out too: http://www.hirheadlights.com/

#14 · (Edited)
There actually IS some technology behind the Silver Stars and I have used them in 3 different vehicles over the last few years. I love them, and will absolutely continue using them. Sylvania admits to them having a shorter service life but you couldn't prove it by me. I installed them in my Fleetwood over 2 years ago (probably more like 3 or 4 years ago) and have only had to replace one so far. I admittedly don't drive the car that much at night but the Twilight Sentinel has them on a lot anyway.
As for the many blue bulbs on the market, yes, I agree they are junk and a total waste of money.
I am a FREAK for being able to see at night. Here's a picture of my '05 Wrangler that I did a few lighting mods to:
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4549/lights1rz.jpg
In the picture, it's easy to see the Hella 500 fogs but what you may NOT see is the small Hella Micros I mounted in the bumper and the IPC H4 conversion headlamps with Silver Star bulbs. Let me tell you, this baby lights up the night for me and I love it!

#15 ·
Those Silver Stars might just be a great choice then, and one I might actually be able to afford;)

So which Silver Star model #(s) is right for the Fleetwood? Do you just use them for the low beams or both?

#17 ·
I picked up some Xenon Quartz (they claim 98% Xenon gas) last night at Wally World (aka, Walmart) for $17 a pair. 55w low beams. ho hum. They are whiter, but the left bulb has some odd pattern that going up on he left side, sending light in an odd direction. Not good quality IMHO. The price was ok, and they are virtually identical in bulb color/shape to the Silver Stars, so I figured I would try.

Better than stock? Yes, and no. Pattern is more floodish, but some odd rays taking off in different directions. If I turn the bulb in the socket, it gets better, but not as even as the GE bulbs I took out. I will swap left/right and see if it changes much. I am afraid I am glaring oncoming with the extra rays that aren't in the place I think they should be.

My Hella H4/H1's were the best yet in my 80 TTA. E-Coded lights (not DOT certified) 130w high beams, 90w low, and 100w high beams. So needless to say I lit up the road nicely! My 70amp alternator with blower on, rear defrost and highbeams would still allow significant battery discharge! I needed my Cad 140amp. (yes, I had upgraded wiring, you have to, things burn up without, and yes, we learned the hard way, fortunately it was only fusible links, but at 11pm at night in a very dark place on I44 near highway 140 in STL, it sucked, and killed the car battery and no one would give us a jumpstart) These lights are by far the safest lights on the roads today. And they are awesome in fog and heavy snowfall. No glare, no light above the cutoff (Katshot knows if he has H4's in his Jeep), so no light going up to bounce off the fog or snow.

I am looking to add some lights to the front for increased visibility. Had a close call with a deer and don't want to try that again.

Any recommendations on fog lights, where and what kind anymore (I drive in fog often, and factory headlights suck in fog) on the Cad? My favorite fog lights are Bosch, but I don't think they make them anymore, I can't find them. Hella is in second place, but they are not near as good as the Bosch.
I hate the idea of making mine look like addons, but I need the light for now. Nothing on top of the bumper for sure! Hidden is my preference. I was pondering putting them integrated into the front air dam, assuming I can get a new air dam to replace it when I want it back to stock.

#18 ·
I did use high beams (65w) in the low beam (55w) sockets. Worked fine. There was a very slight amount of frontal glare more, but nothing that ever bothered anyone.

#19 · (Edited)
N0DIH said:
I picked up some Xenon Quartz (they claim 98% Xenon gas) last night at Wally World (aka, Walmart) for $17 a pair. 55w low beams. ho hum. They are whiter, but the left bulb has some odd pattern that going up on he left side, sending light in an odd direction. Not good quality IMHO. The price was ok, and they are virtually identical in bulb color/shape to the Silver Stars, so I figured I would try.
Better than stock? Yes, and no. Pattern is more floodish, but some odd rays taking off in different directions. If I turn the bulb in the socket, it gets better, but not as even as the GE bulbs I took out. I will swap left/right and see if it changes much. I am afraid I am glaring oncoming with the extra rays that aren't in the place I think they should be.
My Hella H4/H1's were the best yet in my 80 TTA. E-Coded lights (not DOT certified) 130w high beams, 90w low, and 100w high beams. So needless to say I lit up the road nicely! My 70amp alternator with blower on, rear defrost and highbeams would still allow significant battery discharge! I needed my Cad 140amp. (yes, I had upgraded wiring, you have to, things burn up without, and yes, we learned the hard way, fortunately it was only fusible links, but at 11pm at night in a very dark place on I44 near highway 140 in STL, it sucked, and killed the car battery and no one would give us a jumpstart) These lights are by far the safest lights on the roads today. And they are awesome in fog and heavy snowfall. No glare, no light above the cutoff (Katshot knows if he has H4's in his Jeep), so no light going up to bounce off the fog or snow.
I am looking to add some lights to the front for increased visibility. Had a close call with a deer and don't want to try that again.
Any recommendations on fog lights, where and what kind anymore (I drive in fog often, and factory headlights suck in fog) on the Cad? My favorite fog lights are Bosch, but I don't think they make them anymore, I can't find them. Hella is in second place, but they are not near as good as the Bosch.
I hate the idea of making mine look like addons, but I need the light for now. Nothing on top of the bumper for sure! Hidden is my preference. I was pondering putting them integrated into the front air dam, assuming I can get a new air dam to replace it when I want it back to stock.

Wondering the same thing, because the only 90's Fleetwood I saw with fogs/driving light was a really nasty, beat up black '93 or '94 that the owner had mounted two small squarish lights on the top of the front bumper. Looked horrid, but it probably improved nighttime or bad weather vision.

I don't think I'd ever want to add extra lights though--just getting the headlights brighter would suffice for the amount of dark driving I do.

#20 ·
Yup, I was looking for that same 93 for a picture of what I don't want.

I will look at how to do the spoiler foglights and see how that goes. I just need to find some Hella's, I tried some web searching and only found Bosch for OEM stuff, and pricey too. KMart used to carry Bosch for $55, but now just cheap junk lights, and most are blue. Even the yellow ones I am not fond of, I don't like looking at the road in 2 colors of lights.

Anyone like the projector fog lights? Are they decent? Fog lights need to eb thin and wide, maybe only light up the first 50 feet in front of the car, but very wide. A GOOD fog light beam will only be an inch or 2 thick at 3 feet out from the lens.

#21 ·
These are the lights in my T/A, these would be an AWESOME swap for any Cadillac that has the 4 rectangular headlamps!

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/165mm_lo.asp

The Vision Plus lights still suck, they are better than OEM or Halogens, but the E Coded lights rock. You will LOVE them.

#22 ·
To be honest, I originally bought the Hella Micros for my Fleetwood. My intention was to do a stealthy install in the front bumper. I just never got around to it. I bought the Jeep and got carried away with playing with it and.....you know how it goes. ;)
But I must admit they REALLY impressed me with their output, especially for such small lamps. Here's a link to an info page on them. Oh yeah, you can also get them in Xenon!
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hel...mance_Lighting/Micro_DE/Micro_DE/Micro_DE.jsp

#23 ·
Ahh, these? http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Micro_DE.asp

I take it you didn't get the HID versions, eh?

what was your plan on the cad? Integrate into the bumper?

I might look at that, it would be classy to have them hidden until turned on. I'll look and ponder.....

#24 ·
Yeah, those are the ones except mine don't have that ugly-ass blue bezel. Mine are all black. No, I didn't get the HID version. WAY too expensive for me. My thought was to integrate them into the bumper in someway. Never really got to the point of picking the actual mounting spot but I had originally envisioned having them in the rub-strip area to help hide them. That way I could even paint the housings to match the rub-strip. I know the B & D body cars have terrible headlights (the B bodies are way worse than the D body though), and the "touring" edition cars always had for lights (you know sports cars have to have fog lights) so I wanted to come up with a way of installing fog lights on the Fleetwood. The Micro DE's really have a nice beam pattern and include a HID-like horizontal cut-off. Obviously the light temperature isn't the same as the HIDs but at a fraction of the cost, I feel it's more than worth it.

#25 ·
I will take a look at them and see. I want to do something. My front bumper isn't perfect anyway, so drilling it won't give me much heartache. Maybe if I was intending on a perfect resto it would, but I like to drive my cars.

On the Jeep, how do you aim the lights? Is there enough room to move up/down?

The coolest would be the lights Hella has that go black when they are turned off. Hidden!

#26 ·
Hey! Katshot hit 4800 posts on that last one! Milestone? Or internet junkie?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.