Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for so direction from people more knowledgeable then myself. I am currently lookging for a Seville, I am thinking 93-97, for my new driver but I am not sure what are areas in which these cars typically have problems. I do a good deal of driving, my 94 Impala SS has 208k, so I want to get something reliable but also enjoyable. I am guessing that the Northstar is the way to go but I do not know that for a fact. Are there any problems with these cars that are typically seen? Any thoughts, opinions, advice is really appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Eric

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Hey Eric - Welcome to the CadillacForums! A psychologist, huh...you are *not* allowed to tell us we're crazy. :bulging:

OK, the Northstar Sevilles are awesome drivers, with better performance stock for stock than the Impala SS. However, they do have some reliability issues which are much more significant when careful attention has not been paid to recommended maintenance. That said, if you can find a low mileage example in excellent condition which has been properly taken care of, and you continue to take care of it - you should be fine.

Unlike the Impala SS, there are very few available performance upgrades for the Northstar cars - basically exhaust systems and air intake mods (or simply a K&N filter). And, of course, the Sevilles are FWD, which has some disadvantages compared with RWD for "enthusiastic" drivers.

Have you also considered looking for a low mileage/good condition '94-96 Fleetwood? These are RWD LT1 cars, and they have a lot in common with the Impala SS...so they are much more amenable to performance modifications and drive more like Impalas - especially when the suspension is properly tweaked. We have quite a few great examples of modified and unmodified Fleetwoods represented on this Board so have a look around to get a better feel for the plusses and minuses of the Fleetwoods versus the Northstar cars.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
You should also look into any car with the 4.9........ 90-94 devilles, 90-93 sevilles/eldorado........ Much better than the northstar........

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
elwesso said:
You should also look into any car with the 4.9........ 90-94 devilles, 90-93 sevilles/eldorado........ Much better than the northstar........
Welcome ERIC
you have a good car now with the impala and now your going to a caddy good move.
I have a 92 Eldo with the 4.9 I love the car and the motor never driven or owned a north* though

Elwesso why do you think that the 4.9 is better than the north*

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sandman,

Thanks for the info. Would it be possible to get more information abt the reliability issues that you mentioned. Are these cars that people can work on their own? I have done a lot of my own maintenance on my SS. I appreciate all of the help so far.

Thanks

Eric

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Why I think the 4.9l is better than the northstar........

By Wes

The main reason I think the 4.9 is better is because of its reliability...... Granted, not as reliable as a honda or whatever....... At any rate, it is a much simpler design (and probably better), which make most of its components last longer....... It has been said over and over that even with the same maintenance habits, the 4.9 will still give OVERALL better reliability........

A common misconception on engines is horsepower....... The 4.9, even though rated at 210 (or close to) horsepower, it still produces nearly 300 ft/lbs of torque....... Ever heard the saying "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races"...... That being said, it holds its ground VERY well against the Northstar.......

A common misconception that makes people think the Northstar is better is because of all of its technological features and "low maintenance"....... Well, the manufacturer designs the car and its maintenance schedule to be as trouble and maintenance free during the warranty period, and the heck with what happens after that...... All of its technological features only add to the agony........

What Im not saying is that the Northstar is junk....... Obviously, its decent, because cadillac has been using it for 10 years........! But I much perfer the classic, simpler style of the 4.9.......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am really looking for a nice driver that is going to have less chace of huge repair costs. Would there be an agreement that the northstar needs to have the maintenance followed more closely then the 4.9? I am thinking that buying a used car it may be difficult to get one that has had all of the reg service completed. If i do not know the histody of the car would i be any less likely to get jammed up with a non northstar? did all of the 92's and 93's have the 4.9 or were there some with the northstar? sorry if these are basic questions but you have to start someplace.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
ekvisto said:
I am really looking for a nice driver that is going to have less chace of huge repair costs. Would there be an agreement that the northstar needs to have the maintenance followed more closely then the 4.9? I am thinking that buying a used car it may be difficult to get one that has had all of the reg service completed. If i do not know the histody of the car would i be any less likely to get jammed up with a non northstar? did all of the 92's and 93's have the 4.9 or were there some with the northstar? sorry if these are basic questions but you have to start someplace.

Thanks

The 92 and possibly the 93 Eldo have the 4.9. The rest have the north* If this is your first caddy i would recommend the 92 or 93 with the 4.9. That is what people told me to get and i am sooooo thankful for that. I know what i am doing a "little" better with motor work (its no 400ci like my chevelle) but it is easier to do basic maintance on it. It runs really nice. Just take your time test drive some cars and jump on one that looks good.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I dont think its a proper statement to say that the 4.9 will be ok with low maintenance, because there are ill maintained 4.9s <here?> that have pleanty of problems......... Remember, these arent 4cy hondas, where their designed to run forever, their cadillacs, which are designed to be luxuary sedans........

That being said, I think it is MORE fair to say the 4.9 will have FEWER problems than the northstar, maintenance consistent....... But still, comparitively speaking, they will probably have more problems than a 4banger toyota........

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
ekvisto said:
I am looking for so direction from people more knowledgeable then myself. I am currently lookging for a Seville, I am thinking 93-97, for my new driver but I am not sure what are areas in which these cars typically have problems. I do a good deal of driving, my 94 Impala SS has 208k, so I want to get something reliable but also enjoyable. I am guessing that the Northstar is the way to go but I do not know that for a fact. Are there any problems with these cars that are typically seen? Any thoughts, opinions, advice is really appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Eric
I would not get scared off by a little technology. The Northstar produces 300 HP and also 295 ft lbs of torque. I recently purchased a high mileage one which was cheap and appears to have had minimal maintenance. It runs great. This is the fastest car I have ever owned. It absolutely screams. It also gets very decent fuel mileage.
Recently Hot Rod Magazine did an article on the 12 best V-8 engines ever produced anywhere in the world. The first one on the list was the Northstar. GM had another engine on the list also. It was one of the 5.7L. Ford had one, Merceedes made the list. I agree with the Hot Rod article. The Northstar engine is one of the best engines in the world for performance, fuel mileage and reliability.
One drawback that I have noticed is that it is a large engine in a small space. It may be a little more difficult to work on because there is very little space surrounding the engine. I am not anticipating doing very much work. I love the way it runs and plan on doing only minimal repairs.
If parts are needed they are plentiful on the web. car-parts.com has had lists of all the parts I have needed so far.
You will be happy with either one.

Jon
96STS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts