Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SRX V8 Luxury Package
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to say hello and thanks for the valuable info I've already gleaned from this forum.

I bought my first car, a '56 Chevy 4-door, over 46 years ago and have owned many many other vehicles since then but never a Cadillac. The closest I came was a Buick Roadmaster built at the Cadillac plant. Besides one new car (whose make and model I won't mention to avoid embarrassment), every vehicle I've bought has been a GM, mostly Chevy by far, but have also been given several other vehicles including my current ride, a '99 Mercedes ML430 SUV. And, every vehicle I've bought with the exception of the one new one and one other, an '87 IROC-Z (which I still own with 32k), had over 100k miles on it when I got it.

I'm now in need of a second vehicle, of course used. I definitely want a low mileage luxury vehicle and even considered another Mercedes but had my head turned when I saw the Cadillac V-series. I need something with a little space and the only V-series is the CTS-V wagon which I've found very hard to find since they only made about 2000 in 5 years of production, and all I've found were asking thousands over high book.

I was driving along one day and spotted a beautiful Caddy SUV, got up close and saw it was an SRX. I went online to look them up and what I found looked nothing like it. It turned out the car that caught my attention was a 1st generation SRX. The new generation just doesn't do anything for me. Every car maker has a model that is the same basic size and shape.

I'm looking for a 2007-2009 V8 SRX with low mileage and sport package, the more options the better, especially the 20x8 sport wheels. I'm very seriously considering giving it the "V" treatment as I have access to a brand new complete with wiring and accessories 2007 STS-V 4.4L LC3 469HP engine for an extremely good price.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,479 Posts
Re: Looking for my first Caddy

Please post your specific vehicle wants in the proper SRX Classified forum. You MIGHT find one in CF - but not probable. Get friendly with your local GM dealership salesman and have him/her start searching their database.

Buy one used from a private party, the Korner Kar Korral and/or with no service history and at least a small 30 day warranty -- the chances of you getting stung are very high.

Lotsa luck on engine and electronics swaps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Submariner,

I've actually found the exact car I want but am not holding my breath as I'm awaiting a check from my attorney for corporate property we sold before I can buy it--"the check is in the mail." With my luck it will be sold by the time my check shows up (it's been for sale for 6 weeks at the top end of KBBs fair market value).

Electronics and wiring shouldn't be a problem as the PCMs are the same for the same years SRX 4.6, STS 4.6, STS-V 4.4, and XRL-V 4.4, and the PCM is located in approximately the same location on the STS as the SRX. The only issue should be a few missing wires going to the PCM in the SRX, like for the intercooler pump. The STS also shares other parts with the SRX such as radiator hoses for the 4.6s are the same so the STS 4.4 hoses should work on the SRX; motor mounts are the same as well, etc.

My biggest concern for the swap now is whether the extra height of the LC3 will fit under the hood/engine strut of the SRX without modification (I'd prefer not cutting the hood to put a scoop on it). I have a lot of questions but will search more first then try to post them in the appropriate forum.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,479 Posts

As I said - "Lotsa luck !".

Maybe you need to get intimate with the SRX/STS-V forums and potential (nightmare) problems. I seriously doubt your swap is remotely close to a drop-in. Remotely.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts

Hello and welcome. Glad to see Cadillacs have attracted your attention.

A piece of unsolicited advice: giving it the "V" treatment is not as simple as it sounds! This reminds me of an owner of a regular CTS, who wanted to upgrade his CTS to a CTS-V. Many, including myself, tried to tell him that this is not a simple project, and he is better off to sell his regular CTS, and buy a real CTS-V. But he took it in the wrong way and thought that we are a bunch of pessimistic people who trying to hold him back from his dream. Long story short, after spending much more money that he was planing to pay, taking much longer time that he was expecting, and going through tons of dramas, he could put the V powetrain in the car. But his dashboard was like Christmas tree! That's your "a few missing wires" and he never could address them. He never updated his thread, I think maybe he didn't want to admit that he was wrong, but a few months later I saw his CTS"-V" for sale on Ebay for a very low price, with this description that "some of the warning lights are on."

Of course you can eventually do this V treatment, but the point I am trying to make is that it won't be cheap, and it won't be easy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ben,

I don't know the situation of the CTS to CTS-V swap but suspect the CTS was a V6, not a V8. You mentioned "powertrain," indicating to me this was an engine/transmission swap. Both of these would make the swap exponentially more difficult and one I already discounted. My swap requires no replacing of computers, only a calibration reflash of the PCM. All the original computers (PCM, BCM, TCM, etc) will still be communicating with each other just as they were, the PCM will just be using a different "tune" for the engine.

The CTS owner's assessment of pessimism here was spot on. I've searched quite a bit here and not one thread I've found has been the least bit encouraging, in fact exactly the opposite. Instead of offering help (info, schematics, part numbers, etc) for such ideas they are met with "the cost would be astronomical," "the computers are black and white different," etc, neither of those accurate but enough of a discouragement to kill the idea.

When I got my Mercedes the forum experts said I couldn't replace my AAM (BCM) and PCM with used, new ones must bought from the stealership for $2500/$3500 respectively but I bought used ones for $50 each and after an hour's work with a hairdryer and soldering iron had a set of cloned computers. Now with a $60 device programmer I can clone and virginize these modules, read key data, and with another $50 device can now make keys (the electronic chip portion), even if all the key slots have been used (which is supposed to require replacement of the AAM).

I've got quite a leg up on the cost of this project. I found a brand new 2007 STS-V LC3 complete with wiring and all accessories for less than the price of a head job at an independent mechanic. This engine was pulled from its chassis before the car was completely assembled because the chassis had been wrecked. This and 400+ other various new engines were bought at auction by a friend of an acquaintance when the Arlington, Texas plant switched over to only making large SUVs.

But wait, it gets even better for me. He had four of these engines so I bought the lot, flipped three, recouping my investment plus nearly $4000 profit and gaining the fourth engine for free! I've sourced all the major (>$50) parts needed for the swap, to add charge air cooling, upgrade the cooling system, and upgrade the transfer case with genuine OEM parts for under $1000. That leaves me $3000 for upgrading the brakes, exhaust work if the LC3 exhaust manifolds don't line up the same as the LH2, and the incidental clamp, tie-wrap, wire, connector, relay, etc (which I should already have) and still have $0 invested in this project.

While mine is an extremely fortunate situation it still wouldn't have to be exorbitant in cost when you consider if there was a supercharger kit available it would certainly cost in the $6000 range (I can tell you from experience, even these kits aren't all inclusive and can still use the cooling, driveline, and brake upgrades). A used LC3 with under 60k miles can be found for around $4000.

Submariner,

I don't rely on or need luck. I depend on my skill and experience as a mechanic (mainly GM) and electronics technician, both over 45 years. I am very familiar with GM engines (except the N*), wiring, computers, and electronics; and am an extremely good planner. I will do this as I have for past projects, research, research, research, meticulously plan, then turn every nut and bolt in sequence in my head several times before ever touching a wrench. Of course not everything goes as planned, bolts break, etc, but that's no step for a stepper.

To All,

Notice I didn't ask if this swap is possible or how to do it. I already have those answers. I know my capabilities, not those of others who may have tried this. Feel free to criticize, ridicule and mock, I've experienced plenty of that on other forums, but that won't help others and then I'll do as in the past, keep my info/knowledge to myself.

On the other hand, also feel free to offer help and encouragement. The only help I can think of right at the moment are electrical schematics for the engine/PCM for the 4.6 and 4.4.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts

GMrules said:
To All,

Notice I didn't ask if this swap is possible or how to do it. I already have those answers. I know my capabilities, not those of others who may have tried this. Feel free to criticize, ridicule and mock, I've experienced plenty of that on other forums, but that won't help others and then I'll do as in the past, keep my info/knowledge to myself.

...really? I can't imagine why......:noidea:

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
GM, I'll chip in, if you don't mind, having enjoyed the thrill of successfully integrating systems such as this, although in much simpler form. Get access to the GM Service Manuals as can be found on threads here and you'll have all the schematics you'll ever need. Move a few (undefined number) wires and you're in. Physical dimensions of the unit is another matter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Physical dimensions of the unit is another matter.
Yeah, height could be a problem and I'd hate to cut the hood up. I've found a hood locally for $200 and scoops are about $150. Paint wasn't cheap the last time I bought some but I'd still have my original hood that way.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
I would love to see you swap a 4.4L in an SRX. I don't believe it would be that difficult to swap a V8 for a V8. I don't see that it would be that much different from all the people swapping a 6.0L in place of a 4.8 or 5.3 in a Tahoe. If the PCM is the same, that makes it a whole lot easier. V6 to V8 would be exponentially more difficult.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
There is a lot of spare room above the V8 in the SRX ... I think there would be plenty of room for the supercharger without touching the hood.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
91RS,

Hopefully you will see an SRX-V. My physical disabilities are the limiting factor here but I've been doing very well lately, considering. I can't brute force or rush anything, I have to use finesse and take my time.

I'm confident this particular swap, '07-'08 STS-V LC3 into '07-'08 SRX LH2, will be simple ('06-'06 & '09-'09 should also). The XRL-V LC3 wiring is different enough to make it more difficult but still doable. I believe I can pull this off alone in two days (told my wife two weeks) even though I'm totally disabled.

I'm extremely pleased with the close kinship between the STS and SRX under the hood (all I've researched so far), definitely incestuous. I'll need to fab some simple brackets for charge air stuff if I can't find an STS-V to salvage them from as I haven't been able to source new.

Thanks Ludacrisvp, that's exactly what I was hoping to here! How about the engine strut going across the shock/strut towers? The pics I've seen of them seem to be pretty close to the top of the engine cover but doesn't look difficult to modify as long as there are a few inches above it.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade, 2007 SRX
337 Posts
The CTS, STS, and SRX are all on the same Sigma platform so that's why you see the similarities.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought my first Cadillac and am LOVING it!

I bought a one owner 2008 SRX V8 AWD Luxury Package with less than 29K miles. It was literally driven by a little old lady to church and the grocery store. It's black on black with the standard alloy wheels. It didn't come with Nav, likely because she knew she couldn't operate it or have need for it; heck, she didn't know how to operate the cruise control.

I flew to pick it up and drove the 1200 mile return trip straight through in 18 hours, only stopping for fuel and a bite for the road. Normally I can barely walk after driving just a short while due to my back (I'm a disabled vet due to my back) but stopping about every four hours I could get out of the SRX and walk without pain or stiffness. IT'S INCREDIBLE! Now I know where the phrase, "rides like a Cadillac," comes from.

I really wanted the Sport Package but couldn't pass this one up so I'm in the process of adding as much of the Sport Package as I can. I've found a sport grille and bumper covers (need painting) for reasonable but am having some trouble finding affordable 20" wheels in good condition. What else besides limited slip rear differential is part of the sport package?

I'm picking up my LC3 engine from storage tomorrow but not sure if I'm going to start the swap until the summer heat breaks. It will be a while before all the odds and ends I ordered come in.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
So you are going to swap the LC3 into the AWD SRX?
This will be interesting... plans to keep the AWD setup? I think you'll have to keep the oil pan from the LH2 as it has provisions for the front axles IIRC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup, the oil pan has to be swapped for the AWD. I've got a heavy duty transfer case chain and a new set of gears being cryo treated, which will hopefully strengthen the TC by 30% or more. (One thing I found in my research is that the SRX is uniquely the only GM AWD with a 50/50 split TC.)

I want to upgrade to a 6L80E but my wife is already balking at my spending, which just hit my early estimate (which she knows are always notoriously low) and I still need tuning software/hardware. Since the 2006 STS-V came with a 6L50E, I think I'm just going to put in a new higher stall converter and a ZIP Kit for the valve body to strengthen my 6L50E a bit for the time being.

The one thing I haven't looked into much is a brake upgrade.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
One thing I found in my research is that the SRX is uniquely the only GM AWD with a 50/50 split TC.
You may want to verify the 2008 was still a 50/50 split as I think it was 50/50 in 2004 only then copied the STS with a 40/60 split F/R for 2005+.
The HV-095 chain replaced the HV-080 chain as well, so I'm hoping you are beefing up the new HV-095 chain and not an old one.
The one thing I haven't looked into much is a brake upgrade.
I'd think this would be an easy swap for STS-V calipers and rotors.

So for the Diffs... they are 3.23:1 ratio, do you plan to change them? Have you considered doing a limited slip rear diff and leaving the front as is ... to give you a 'posi' rear end.
RPO G80 is for LSD.
IIRC the V6 AWD SRX came with a 3.71:1 ratio to improve its off the line responsiveness as it is a bit of a dog with the V6 engine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You may want to verify the 2008 was still a 50/50 split as I think it was 50/50 in 2004 only then copied the STS with a 40/60 split F/R for 2005+.
The HV-095 chain replaced the HV-080 chain as well, so I'm hoping you are beefing up the new HV-095 chain and not an old one.
Yeah, I got the HV-095 chain, ordered it before I bought the car. LOL As far as I've been able to determine is that at least the '07-'09 SRX use a BW4476, which is 50/50, but at least two charts I saw showed all years of SRX using the BW4476.

I'd think this would be an easy swap for STS-V calipers and rotors.
That's what I suspect.

So for the Diffs... they are 3.23:1 ratio, do you plan to change them? Have you considered doing a limited slip rear diff and leaving the front as is ... to give you a 'posi' rear end.
RPO G80 is for LSD.
IIRC the V6 AWD SRX came with a 3.71:1 ratio to improve its off the line responsiveness as it is a bit of a dog with the V6 engine.
I'm trying to find out now if mine has limited slip; the dealer is supposed to be sending me the complete list of options as well as service records. Since this came from up north I wouldn't doubt they would have sold her on LS, heck they sold her on the upgraded HD radiator even though no trailer hitch.

Hmmm, 3.71:1. I'm not sure how my wife would like the lower gears and the accompanying lower mileage but it sounds good to me. My '87 IROC-Z came with the "high performance axle ratio," 3.23:1. I swapped in 3.73 but then swapped to 3.42. With a 6-speed overdrive it wouldn't be so bad. Thanks for the heads up. That is exactly the type of info I can use.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
The AWD option deletes the LSD option (at least on STS but I'd assume that SRX would be the same as these cars are quite similar for powertrain).
If you have RPO code G80 on the sticker then you will have LSD but being AWD I'm assuming it will not be there.

You'd (obviously) have to adjust the tune to be setup for the 3.71 diffs if you decide to go that route or the speedo will be way off.

The other thing I'd wonder is how well the other diffs would handle that LC3 power. IIRC the STS-V uses 3.23:1 LSD rear diff.

There was a 2.71:1 rear end offered for the STS RWD V8 rental car for better mileage, a member reports that @80mph the motor is spinning at 2k compared to 3.23:1 being at 68mph @ 2k.
Not sure that you could (or would want to) go this route with the AWD setup.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts