Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Escalade
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2012 Escalade and came across some articles and advertisements for Performance Chips. All brands make claims for significant improvement in performance and horsepower as well as fuel economy. Is this something that I should look into installing in my Escalade?

-mpvivo

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
If your engine has the AFM, I think you lose that capability after a Diablo tune per their website.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade ESV Platinum
70 Posts
I have an 11' that was in person Blackbear tuned. I can't speak on better fuel economy, as that was not a concern of mine. I did have them disable AFM. The "seat of your pants" feeling has definitely been increased. It's generally more fun to drive. Shifts are firmer and it actually goes when I hit the gas.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you mean Air Flow Meter (AFM)?
Our cars don't have AFM, it's MAF (mass air flow). Idea is same but AFM used on old cars, now it's all digital MAF. I have 944 and it has AFM, inside has potentiometer, and it's adjustable, but it requires special tolls to adjust it right.
Diablo is specific writing for specific cars and it takes a lot effort to design that can re-write ECU over OBD board. Mosts tunes are required to open ECU and do changes on board. it's almost unreversable process. Diablo is nice that anyone can do whenever you are really want. I wish it would possible do on all cars.
If your engine has the AFM, I think you lose that capability after a Diablo tune per their website.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
phlfly said:
Do you mean Air Flow Meter (AFM)? Our cars don't have AFM, it's MAF (mass air flow). Idea is same but AFM used on old cars, now it's all digital MAF. I have 944 and it has AFM, inside has potentiometer, and it's adjustable, but it requires special tolls to adjust it right. Diablo is specific writing for specific cars and it takes a lot effort to design that can re-write ECU over OBD board. Mosts tunes are required to open ECU and do changes on board. it's almost unreversable process. Diablo is nice that anyone can do whenever you are really want. I wish it would possible do on all cars.
AFM or active fuel management which means V4-V6 as well as VVT or variable valve timing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ah, this, yea, but there is option to keep it's on, but I don't see a reason to keep if you want more juice HP from your car, don't you think?

AFM or active fuel management which means V4-V6 as well as VVT or variable valve timing.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
phlfly said:
Ah, this, yea, but there is option to keep it's on, but I don't see a reason to keep if you want more juice HP from your car, don't you think?
If it's something that can turned ON and OFF then I don't mind the tune. But if it's all GO without going back to oem specs then I would prefer the option to choose.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade and 2018 CTS-V
320 Posts
I recently had my 07 tuned. It was the cheapest upgrade I've done so far, but the most noticeable.

CAI, exhaust and even headers didn't make much of an impact. Putting a cam in next week so really hoping for a boost there. If that doesn't do it, it's gears...

·
Registered
2010 Premium w/ ALL options + 2004 Pontiac GTO LS6 "Beast"
1,196 Posts
There are no "chips" for our trucks, everything is done by actually tuning the ECU.
HP Tuners or EFI Live are the best options. If you are un familiar with tuning, get a shop to tune it, and then with your own HPT/EFILive you can go back to stock at any time, and load up your tune at any time.
MUCH better than anything like a diablow handheld.

·
Registered
All Escalade Premiums, '16 ESV, '13 ESV, '10 EXT
617 Posts
Do you mean Air Flow Meter (AFM)?
Our cars don't have AFM, it's MAF (mass air flow). Idea is same but AFM used on old cars, now it's all digital MAF. I have 944 and it has AFM, inside has potentiometer, and it's adjustable, but it requires special tolls to adjust it right.
Diablo is specific writing for specific cars and it takes a lot effort to design that can re-write ECU over OBD board. Mosts tunes are required to open ECU and do changes on board. it's almost unreversable process. Diablo is nice that anyone can do whenever you are really want. I wish it would possible do on all cars.
Haha don't sweat this man, I had the same WTF when I came over to the world of Gen IV chevy v8s! I had always heard it called displacement on demand, I thought it was bizarre that chevy would use another very well known acronym for a fuel management component to describe cylinder deactivation as active fuel management!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts