Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,937 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

ALL 2000 - 2004 Sevilles (SLS, STS) had the VIN Y or VIN 9 4.6 Northstar powertrain, so not necessary for info in thread title.

Struts or (rear) shocks? The struts are fixed height, the shocks use air bladders, height sensor(s) and a compressor system to compensate for extra weight in the trunk or rear seat - for those, coilovers are not a good choice. The original front & rear springs do the height work.

A 2000 - 2004 Seville should ride dead-nuts level or with the slightest front rake. A sagging rear means bad springs and maybe failing level control shocks.

Maybe something in RockAuto or (I didn't say this - ) Strutmasters.

·
2003 SLS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to CF !!!

ALL 2000 - 2004 Sevilles (SLS, STS) had the VIN Y or VIN 9 4.6 Northstar powertrain, so not necessary for info in thread title.

Struts or (rear) shocks? The struts are fixed height, the shocks use air bladders, height sensor(s) and a compressor system to compensate for extra weight in the trunk or rear seat - for those, coilovers are not a good choice. The original front & rear springs do the height work.

A 2000 - 2004 Seville should ride dead-nuts level or with the slightest front rake. A sagging rear means bad springs and maybe failing level control shocks.

Maybe something in RockAuto or (I didn't say this - ) Strutmasters.
See I was looking at strut masters, seems to be the only real conversion kit, (rear btw) looking to lower but coilover conversion kits for this specific model is hell

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an '04 SLS with 138k miles. In 2012 at 45k miles I put the Strutmasters kit on because the airbags were dry rotted and the load leveling compressor would not stop as a result. Also did the front struts while I was at it.

Strutmasters takes a beating on the forum but after >90k miles I haven't had any problems. Their original kit had the rear sitting too low so they actually took my car for about a week later in 2012 and custom made taller springs for me (wasn't a problem because I live a little over an hour from them in NC). The new taller spring is supposed to be the standard now but you could ask them. Others might not recommend them but I would wholeheartedly!

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,060 Posts
coil-overs SUCK in EVERY way possible -
harsh riding - noisy - over-priced - and the car NEVER rides at the correct height -

I recommend MONROE MA822 for the rear shocks -
around $60 - for the PAIR - from amazon.com -

they have the air bladders - just like the original shocks -

if the ELC compressor no longer works -
you can install the MONROE AK29 - manual-fill kit - around $12 -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,937 Posts
Who wants to worry about dry rotting again, compressor ware, etc.
Worry ? Considering that we're working on cars that are 16 to 25 years old - if you fix it correctly it should last at least that long again. Who worries ? Those owners who want to keep the same performance and ride as the car originally had.

In the Seville series
, SLS, with the relatively simple passive suspension, soft springs, and ELC is one thing; STS, with either CVRSS or MRC, performance springs, and ELC is totally different - cost and complexity-wise. But some owners (me, for one) have a spare set of new struts, shocks, bearings, bushings, mounts, etc. in the garage/shop. I'll keep the STS all Cadillac.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm just saying going to coilovers is fine, many people do it on different makes and models for various reasons, usually to get away from systems that are more complex or costly to maintain. There can be more than one solution to a problem.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,060 Posts
I'm just saying going to coilovers is fine, many people do it on different makes and models for various reasons, usually to get away from systems that are more complex or costly to maintain. There can be more than one solution to a problem.
===========================
compare the cost -
what did you pay to downgrade your suspension system to the coil-overs?

a set of MONROE MA822 shocks can be bought for under $60 -

1 - 9 of 9 Posts