Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
buying one soon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get ahold of Jason so I can purchase a navigation unit and harness for my 2001 STS. If anyone can get this to him I would really appreciate it. Jason if u read this please pm me or email me at [email protected]

Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
I sent Jason an e-mail yesterday to let him know folks were looking for these again. He is out of the business of selling these, I'm pretty sure. The head units got hard to come by, thus expensive, and he doesn't work at Best Buy anymore, so no discount on the harness parts. Hopefully he will stop by and give a definite answer.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,700 Posts
bestbet to find the unit if not on ebay is carparts.com
i was searching and found some 2002 plus units for around anywhere from 550 up to 1500
and most junk yard will give a 3 months garantee on there parts so it wont be DOA

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
bestbet to find the unit if not on ebay is carparts.com
i was searching and found some 2002 plus units for around anywhere from 550 up to 1500
and most junk yard will give a 3 months garantee on there parts so it wont be DOA
Finding the Denso headunit isn't the hard part... The real fun begins when you try making it play nice with the car, especially cars that were never designed for that particular headunit.

Personally... I still can't understand everyone's fascination with getting a nav system hooked up. The only reason my '03 has one is because it came from the factory that way and it's the only car I've ever had with one. Sure, it looks neat and changes the ambiance of the cabin slightly over a standard HU, but practically speaking I haven't really used it... Most of the time it's either left on the default Cadillac screen or with the display turned off altogether.

While I may try to make additional use of the display itself sometime down the road... I'd only do so because it's already there - I certainly wouldn't go through the expense and trouble if it weren't.

However, if one does a lot of traveling and genuinely needs the assistance of GPS... Why not simply save a lot of money (not to mention headaches) and just buy a Garmin/TomTom/etc... They're dirt cheap these days, you won't have to worry about making it play nice with the cars electronics, and you get the benefit of both being able to store it out of sight when not needed and being able to use it in a different car when need be.

If nothing else, while technology can be a great thing... It's pretty damn sad when so many people can't even read a map anymore.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
On top of what Adam said, the units on these cars are outdated and won't even provide the most recent road changes. The system dates back to 2002... that's 7 years of changes and improvements made to the technology. The newest Garmin's and TomTom's are much better than what was provided back in the day. Yes it looks nice built into the car, but not enough to spend the kind of money necessary to make it work.

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Dont those nav systems play DVD's? I think most people want them for that purpose more than the actual nav ability.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Not stock. I'm sure they could be modded to do so.

And they are WAY inferior to a Garmin, etc.

·
Registered
buying one soon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do any of you know the part number for the nav unit I need? Jason said he can get me the harness, but I would have to buy the nav on my own.

And for what it's worth I know that Jason isnt a vendor, but he seems to know the most about this conversion.........

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,117 Posts
Standby. mtflight might have one. I PM'd him to check in here.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,117 Posts
Oh. OK, I didn't know that. Thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Yeah thats true. Maybe its just for looks.
Actually, it's more like - "Oooh there's something I don't have, so I need to have it and I'm going to pay an arm and a leg to get just because there's a chance I can."

The sheer looks of a playing DVD alone couldn't possibly outweigh the expense when there are cheaper, more capable options available.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac DeVille DTS
150 Posts
I would much rather have factory nav than those cheezy portable GPS units, for a number of reasons:

1). Radio volume is automatically lowered slightly during guidance instruction on factory nav, and returns to previously set volume.
2). Guidance with factory nav systems comes through directly through the audio system, which is much clearer than those tiny speakers in portable GPS units. Many portable GPS systems are nearly inaudible at highway speeds, and forget about if you have the radio on or are carrying on a conversation with passengers.
3). Radio volume is completely muted when issuing voice commands with factory nav.
4). Voice command activation is right on the steering wheel - you don't need to futz around with tiny buttons like with the portable units.
5). Factory nav screens are typically much bigger, clearer, and also change for day and night modes.
6). GPS signal pickup is usually better on factory nav due to the built in factory antenna.
7). In the event of GPS signal loss, the factory nav picks up the VSS signal and uses the internal gyroscope to keep the vehicle properly located. This is a big plus driving in cities with large buildings the keep blocking the GPS signal, rendering most portable GPS units are useless.
8). Do any of those portable GPS units have XM traffic?
9). Portable GPS units are an invitation for thieves to break in. Even if you hide your GPS in the glove box, or take it with you, if they see the suction cup marks on the windshield, your window is going to be smashed.
10). Bottom line is portable GPS is just a cheezy wanna be unit.

Yes, portable GPS units offer-up-to date road changes, but how often do roads change? If this was 1949, that would be important, but in 2009 there isn't much going on in terms of new roads.

I wouldn't go any other way than factory nav. Yes it's a few dollars more, and updates are somewhat pricey. But if you're that price sensitive, a Cadillac is really not for you in the first place.

Joe

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac STS w/ F55
42 Posts
I got the factory nav unit for the convenience of being able to pick "CD 6" without having to cycle through 5 CDs just to get to there. It gives the interior a cleaner look too.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
I would much rather have factory nav than those cheezy portable GPS units, for a number of reasons:

1). Radio volume is automatically lowered slightly during guidance instruction on factory nav, and returns to previously set volume.
2). Guidance with factory nav systems comes through directly through the audio system, which is much clearer than those tiny speakers in portable GPS units. Many portable GPS systems are nearly inaudible at highway speeds, and forget about if you have the radio on or are carrying on a conversation with passengers.
3). Radio volume is completely muted when issuing voice commands with factory nav.
4). Voice command activation is right on the steering wheel - you don't need to futz around with tiny buttons like with the portable units.
5). Factory nav screens are typically much bigger, clearer, and also change for day and night modes.
6). GPS signal pickup is usually better on factory nav due to the built in factory antenna.
7). In the event of GPS signal loss, the factory nav picks up the VSS signal and uses the internal gyroscope to keep the vehicle properly located. This is a big plus driving in cities with large buildings the keep blocking the GPS signal, rendering most portable GPS units are useless.
8). Do any of those portable GPS units have XM traffic?
9). Portable GPS units are an invitation for thieves to break in. Even if you hide your GPS in the glove box, or take it with you, if they see the suction cup marks on the windshield, your window is going to be smashed.
10). Bottom line is portable GPS is just a cheezy wanna be unit.

Yes, portable GPS units offer-up-to date road changes, but how often do roads change? If this was 1949, that would be important, but in 2009 there isn't much going on in terms of new roads.

I wouldn't go any other way than factory nav. Yes it's a few dollars more, and updates are somewhat pricey. But if you're that price sensitive, a Cadillac is really not for you in the first place.

Joe
OEM is OEM!

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac STS w/ F55
42 Posts
guess I should be more sober when posting. Yeah, I MEANT to say it's more convenient to go from CD4 to CD3 without having the changer go CD5, CD6, CD1, CD2, THEN CD3 like it does in the non-nav units. There, that makes more sense.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,538 Posts
Dont those nav systems play DVD's? I think most people want them for that purpose more than the actual nav ability.
They do play DVDs, stock. You just push a button and type a 4 digit code and it lets you view them out of park. The harness Jason "builds" repins the wires from the standard HU Bose plug to the unit, and has aux input jacks for video and audio. I still have that harness, in a parts bin.

This is why people like them:

1) looks beautiful, fills the space nicely with buttons on both sides of the screen.
2) GUI of the unit and its capabilities, touch screen
3) able to do multiple waypoints, unlike say Garmin which only does 1 extra waypoint.
4) play DVDs
5) sounds very good... I think better than the stock head unit (maybe I was imagining this)
6) is able to be used as a monitor with aux input and audio
7)OEM
8) does NOT look like a TOY (see image below)

regarding the maps being outdated and all, you can buy current maps for it... except they're obviously not cheap. They do go for $60 on close-out but you have to snatch them quick else they're $199 (wow).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts