Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first time posting to the forums. I enjoy coming through to find helpful tips and advice for my car. With that being said, I need to sell my 2003 CTS and I'm looking for advice. I love my baby but I feel like I'm spending more money on repairs these days than actual time driving. It's not running at all right now and I'm ready to move on. What would be the best way to sell the car to get a decent deal? I'm hoping to sell it in the next few months but I don't have a ton of time to dedicate on posting a listing.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,867 Posts
Hi all,

This is my first time posting to the forums. I enjoy coming through to find helpful tips and advice for my car. With that being said, I need to sell my 2003 CTS and I'm looking for advice. I love my baby but I feel like I'm spending more money on repairs these days than actual time driving. It's not running at all right now and I'm ready to move on. What would be the best way to sell the car to get a decent deal? I'm hoping to sell it in the next few months but I don't have a ton of time to dedicate on posting a listing.
=======================
you didn't say anything about the mileage -
or physical condition - inside and out -
so I assume high mileage - and doesn't look "new" any more -

a non-running 12 year old car isn't much more than just a "parts car" -

throw an ad on craigslist -
include a couple pics -
take the first cash offer close to $750 -

·
Registered
2003 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5 speed manual trans with milage around 46,700. Other than a small scratch the body and interior are in good condition. I'm only the second owner and the first had the car customized. Tinted windows, soft top, spoiler, auto sun roof, customized dash and so on. I just didn't want to junk it because someone with more money and time might be able get it running again.

Thanks for the advice!!!! I'm going to at least try and see how it goes.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
What's wrong with it? If repairs aren't too expensive it may be worth the expenditure to maximize the potential value. Most folks don't want to buy a non-running car unless they can get it real cheap.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,016 Posts
Shine it up, put a cardboard sign in the window with a price and a phone number, and park it alongside a busy road.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Shine it up, put a cardboard sign in the window with a price and a phone number, and park it alongside a busy road.

This old method still works, and it helps your car stand out physically among the stuff buried on Craigslist.

For cars under 5 grand, Craigslist is ideal.
Anything where someone would need to do a trade or get financing should go on Autotrader, this forum's classifieds, cars.com, or get traded in/sold to a dealer.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
This old method still works, and it helps your car stand out physically among the stuff buried on Craigslist.

For cars under 5 grand, Craigslist is ideal.
Anything where someone would need to do a trade or get financing should go on Autotrader, this forum's classifieds, cars.com, or get traded in/sold to a dealer.
I can attest. I detailed the shit out of a beater Lumina (heavy smoker car with a damaged bumper and fender). Cleaned the interior and washed the exterior (it actually cleaned up great.) Had about 20 calls over 3 days. Sold it to the first person who looked at it for 1600 (asked 1800) in 3 days.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it in to an automotive care center and they diagnosis the issue as bad crankshaft. Due to the location of the part they couldn't repair it and suggested I go directly to a dealership. Of course the closes Cadillac dealership wants to charge a ridiculous amount to do the repair.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,681 Posts
Took it in to an automotive care center and they diagnosis the issue as bad crankshaft. Due to the location of the part they couldn't repair it and suggested I go directly to a dealership. Of course the closes Cadillac dealership wants to charge a ridiculous amount to do the repair.
Did the dealer diagnose/confirm the problem or did you ask them what they would charge to do what the other shop told you was needed? I wouldn't bet my life on what one shop said even if that was a dealer. People, including mechanics are sometimes wrong.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,867 Posts
=========================
Took it in to an automotive care center
and they diagnosis the issue as bad crankshaft

bad? how?
not much of a diagnosis -
I hope you didn't pay very much for that -

Due to the location of the part they couldn't repair it -
not much of a shop -

Of course the closes Cadillac dealership
wants to charge a ridiculous amount to do the repair.

did you ask the dealer to look at the car?
did the dealer confirm or deny the other diagnosis?

just how much is a ridiculous amount in your opinion?
pardon my skepticism - but I'm starting to smell a rat -

5 speed manual trans
milage around 46,700.
Other than a small scratch
the body and interior are in good condition.
second owner
the first had the car customized.
Tinted windows,
soft top, spoiler, auto sun roof,
customized dash and so on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts