Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 Manual -White
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All:

So I've noticed that my ATS has a rattle (sounds like valve tap or pre-ignition). The tap is definitely coming from the motor and is absolutely getting worse.

I call my local dealer on Thursday, express my concerns with the noise and they schedule me for an appointment on Tuesday. I initially accept that appointment and think- ok ill just wait till Tuesday and bring it in then.

Then, it hits me that its 5 days more of driving around with that noise getting louder and louder. Assuming the metal from whatever is happening is going all over the place. (No, I dont see any in the oil YET). So i figure, let me call back and say "hey look, can you at least take a look at it today"? So that's what i do and i have to wait for a callback from the Service Manager who is clearly agitated that i'm "pushing" my appointment up or at least attempting to.

If this was a headlight or a slow leak of some sort.. Ok, i can deal but we're talking about the motor potentially blowing up here- there was little to no concern over my "concern" that this could happen.

What i'd like some feedback on is:

What can i do if the Service Manger continues to be confrontational? Are there any points of Contact above the "Service Manager" that i could potentially go to? Are there Customer points of contacts outside of the dealer?

Obviously this service manager has set my level of expectations for my issue extremely low and now im attempting to brace for the worst.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,681 Posts
Is there another dealer you could call?

For this I wouldn't go over his head mostly because I would be on the fence about wanting to take it in sooner. There is no way to know exactly what will happen but from others experience it seems the more damage is done the more likely you would get a replacement engine rather than a rebuild. Couple that with the fact that probably more dealers are competent to replace an engine than are to rebuild one correctly and its hard to know which is better. Of course if you end up with a rebuild anyway, not doing more damage could be a plus.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the dealer went for a ride and i was able to reproduce the noise. A definite "audible" rattle under load but that's entirely it. No Rough idle, no CEL, no exhaust smoke...just that rattle. It was even more pronounced when we went through a small tunnel that allowed for the noise to echo back at us.. The dealer was convinced that it wasnt a bottom end issue but couldnt identify where the noise was coming from..

Long story.. i have my car until Tuesday at which point its going back for a thorough eval.

:confused:

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
If I was that concerned I would just drive it to the dealership. The one near me you just drive in, no appointment, although I think that's mostly meant for oil changes. But still, you'd at least have it in the door where they could hear it.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
Hey All:

So I've noticed that my ATS has a rattle (sounds like valve tap or pre-ignition). The tap is definitely coming from the motor and is absolutely getting worse.

I call my local dealer on Thursday, express my concerns with the noise and they schedule me for an appointment on Tuesday. I initially accept that appointment and think- ok ill just wait till Tuesday and bring it in then.

Then, it hits me that its 5 days more of driving around with that noise getting louder and louder. Assuming the metal from whatever is happening is going all over the place. (No, I dont see any in the oil YET). So i figure, let me call back and say "hey look, can you at least take a look at it today"? So that's what i do and i have to wait for a callback from the Service Manager who is clearly agitated that i'm "pushing" my appointment up or at least attempting to.

If this was a headlight or a slow leak of some sort.. Ok, i can deal but we're talking about the motor potentially blowing up here- there was little to no concern over my "concern" that this could happen.

What i'd like some feedback on is:

What can i do if the Service Manger continues to be confrontational? Are there any points of Contact above the "Service Manager" that i could potentially go to? Are there Customer points of contacts outside of the dealer?

Obviously this service manager has set my level of expectations for my issue extremely low and now im attempting to brace for the worst.
Ask your service manager to give you the phone number for Cadillac customer relations and they will possibly take you more seriously.

The service manager at my local Caddy dealer (not my selling dealer) is an a-hole and we had to go this route for a minor issue. My hubby's 13 Platinum Escalade had one of the steering wheel buttons sticking/clicking and a cracked plastic piece on one set of headphones. Service advisor said there was no issue with the button on the steering wheel and this is normal, he ordered new headphones but they were the wrong ones but told us we had no idea what we were talking about and the headphones were the correct ones.

Here is the clincher; I also have a 13 Platinum Escalade and our previous truck was an 07 GMC Yukon Denali XL so we know how these things are supposed to work. Called Cadillac customer relations, explained the situation and the fact that we have two of the same truck so we know what we are talking about. They called the dealership and the same day we got a call back from the service manager informing us that the steering wheel button would be replaced at our house at a time convenient to us and I could pick up the correct headphones or they would have someone deliver them to our house. I chose to pick up the headphones myself and was told by the service advisor that "sometimes customers know more about their trucks than the service department"

Time for me to find a new dealer!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Ask your service manager to give you the phone number for Cadillac customer relations and they will possibly take you more seriously.

The service manager at my local Caddy dealer (not my selling dealer) is an a-hole and we had to go this route for a minor issue. My hubby's 13 Platinum Escalade had one of the steering wheel buttons sticking/clicking and a cracked plastic piece on one set of headphones. Service advisor said there was no issue with the button on the steering wheel and this is normal, he ordered new headphones but they were the wrong ones but told us we had no idea what we were talking about and the headphones were the correct ones.

Here is the clincher; I also have a 13 Platinum Escalade and our previous truck was an 07 GMC Yukon Denali XL so we know how these things are supposed to work. Called Cadillac customer relations, explained the situation and the fact that we have two of the same truck so we know what we are talking about. They called the dealership and the same day we got a call back from the service manager informing us that the steering wheel button would be replaced at our house at a time convenient to us and I could pick up the correct headphones or they would have someone deliver them to our house. I chose to pick up the headphones myself and was told by the service advisor that "sometimes customers know more about their trucks than the service department"

Time for me to find a new dealer!

Sorry for off topic question, but what is this Cadillac Customer Relations? Different from Cadillac customer service? Any phone number?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sorry for off topic question, but what is this Cadillac Customer Relations? Different from Cadillac customer service? Any phone number?
Customer service, customer relations, customer care ambassador (Cadillac's term); whatever you want to call it, this sends alarm bells to the dealer because they don't want head office involved.

We were told by our service advisor that their yearly salary bonus is directly tied to customer surveys and if a customer contacts head office you can bet that reflects badly on their bonus. Not to mention getting the service department into hot water if they are not handling customers issues properly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it goes in Tomorrow.. if it all goes to crap.. which i think it may.. ill just call this

OWNERS ASSISTANCE

To better address your comments and concerns, please choose from the phone numbers below. Cadillac Customer Assistance Centers are open Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EST and closed on Sunday.
Inside the U.S.: 1-800-458-8006
Inside Canada: 1-800-263-3777
International Inquiries: 1-905-644-4112
When you call the Cadillac Customer Assistance Center, please have the following information available:
Your name, address, and home and daytime telephone numbers
Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), which can be found on your registration
Dealership name and location
Vehicle delivery date and current mileage
Nature of your concern

·
Registered
308 Posts
Customer service, customer relations, customer care ambassador (Cadillac's term); whatever you want to call it, this sends alarm bells to the dealer because they don't want head office involved.

We were told by our service advisor that their yearly salary bonus is directly tied to customer surveys and if a customer contacts head office you can bet that reflects badly on their bonus. Not to mention getting the service department into hot water if they are not handling customers issues properly.

Good luck?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

You guys wont believe this but that noise has all but disappeared.. I have no explanation..I let at least 1/2 a dozen people hear it, some said valve tap, some said they had no clue(inc my dealer) and some said bad gas which i wouldn't think but now its just gone. Oh well.. maybe it WAS bad gas??

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 Luxury
202 Posts
Thanks for the update. *Did the dealership or anyone document the noise? *Wonder if GM has a system that can track issues and dealership visits by VIN?*

·
Registered
18 Coupe, turbo, auto, dp,E 85,tune
825 Posts
Wonder if you got some mislabeled fuel, 87 octane instead of 93. Had you added more gas to the tank before the knocking went away?

·
Registered
2015 SRX Luxury
481 Posts
Update:

You guys wont believe this but that noise has all but disappeared.. I have no explanation..I let at least 1/2 a dozen people hear it, some said valve tap, some said they had no clue(inc my dealer) and some said bad gas which i wouldn't think but now its just gone. Oh well.. maybe it WAS bad gas??
That could be it. I had bad gas a few times and it sounded really bad and the smell was awful!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I usually just fill up with prem when I run low.. So yeah, I e run about 10 tanks through this summer and it's gotten better and better since... So weird.

Yes, the dealer has it documented. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts