Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
CTS V
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a lot of looking,and Tinman has been keeping an eye open for me also. Looking for an opinion, what would be the max mileage one would consider for buying a used V ? i am thinking 40k would be high enough, but depends on how the car has been treated also. I know there are a lot of variables here,pretty vague question. Just looking for opinions, maybe some would think 60k is ok also. I just don t want to buy someone elses junk and bring it up here and find that out. Am looking at 09-11, but probably 09/10 s are in my price range right now.
Thanks Al

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
The true barometer of a car's condition cannot (as I think you know) be measured 100% by mileage. Too many other factors at play. 40K for an '09 sounds reasonable to me. I bought mine over a year ago with 34K. Bottom line, buying used always has pitfalls...but so does buying new. Find one you like, don't settle, get it looked at and buy with confidence and enjoy your ride. If you find one under any shred of warranty you're even more golden. The cars for the most part are bullet proof. So far, so good for me.

·
Registered
07' Sport, Ming Blue
53 Posts
the 40-50k mile 09/10's ive seen are in the low 40s/high 30s from what I've seen (and ive been price checking every day for like 4 months). 30k miles is going to the be max for me come spring.

There are a ton of V2s with under 20k miles. I actually start to look at it as a negative once it goes under 10k miles. Theres alot of 09's with like 5-7k miles, thats alot of sitting for a 4 year old car. I would hope they were garage kept cars that were properly stored during the winter and used for weekend cruising but still. if you do a search theres threads of people with 100k on 09's already with no major problem. The LSA is a proven platform.

The price difference between the low mileage cars and the higher mileage ones really isn't that much either. Like, a 20k mile 09' car costs 44k, or 41k for a 45k mile car. I'm gonna have a 500$+ car payment reguardless. Thats 2-3 years of driving miles difference for what amounts to 6 months of payments. So i can't justify buying one with more then 25-30k miles.

Only thing about going 09/10 is the backup camera. Been seeing low mileage 11s for 46-48k the past couple months. Hoping they drop another 1-2k in the next 6 months when more 2012s hit the used market. I can't justify spending this much on a car, and not getting the backup camera over a couple thousand extra bucks. If I'm gonna spend this much money on a car, it has to be exactly what i want, but thats just me.

·
Registered
CTS V
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good points. to me, the camera isn't so important,to me at least,everyone has thier preferances.
Maybe it is a good option in your case. what sites have you been following may i ask, i have been watching 3 different ones and the prices are all over the map,one site has 09 for 40k then next one has it at 45k,much the same mileage an options. I will just keep an eye on things, wanted to do something this winter, but may hold till spring. Want to sell my Verte first, and the market for convertables i pretty soft right now. Can t really justify have 2 non driveable cars in my garage this winter. lol. If you care to share your search sites, i would appreciate it,as we are looking for two different cars,i don t think i would hinder your searches or pm me and i will shoot the ones i follow back to you.
Thanks Al

the 40-50k mile 09/10's ive seen are in the low 40s/high 30s from what I've seen (and ive been price checking every day for like 4 months). 30k miles is going to the be max for me come spring.

There are a ton of V2s with under 20k miles. I actually start to look at it as a negative once it goes under 10k miles. Theres alot of 09's with like 5-7k miles, thats alot of sitting for a 4 year old car. I would hope they were garage kept cars that were properly stored during the winter and used for weekend cruising but still. if you do a search theres threads of people with 100k on 09's already with no major problem. The LSA is a proven platform.

The price difference between the low mileage cars and the higher mileage ones really isn't that much either. Like, a 20k mile 09' car costs 44k, or 41k for a 45k mile car. I'm gonna have a 500$+ car payment reguardless. Thats 2-3 years of driving miles difference for what amounts to 6 months of payments. So i can't justify buying one with more then 25-30k miles.

Only thing about going 09/10 is the backup camera. Been seeing low mileage 11s for 46-48k the past couple months. Hoping they drop another 1-2k in the next 6 months when more 2012s hit the used market. I can't justify spending this much on a car, and not getting the backup camera over a couple thousand extra bucks. If I'm gonna spend this much money on a car, it has to be exactly what i want, but thats just me.

·
Registered
07' Sport, Ming Blue
53 Posts
my daily checks are on autotrader (simply because i have multiple advanced searches bookmarked so i can look up 09's, 10's, 11's separately etc which makes it easier). I do a 200 mile range check from philadelphia. Alot of 10s/11s still are priced at 50k+, but most of them tend to sit. But for every 4-5 priced high, theres always a few 2011s under 25k miles that price in between 47-49k. Those tend to disappear after a couple weeks. Similar ones that are priced 51-52k ive seen sit for months.

There tends to be a 3-4k price disparity on almost identical cars. From reading on here, some dealers do hard pricing and refuse to negotiate much.

http://www.frankelcadillac.com/Vehi..._Sedan-CTS_V_Sedan-Cockeysville-MD/1654294703

Ive remember seeing this listing at least 3 months ago, and according to the free carfax its been for sale for almost 5 months. This car was 52,xxx when it was first listed if my memory serves me. So they've dropped the price a bit. Other then the fact that its white diamond (drool) to me its overpriced. (no recaros).

http://www.romeocars.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Cadillac-CTS_V-Coupe-Lake_Katrine-NY/1843439853

meanwhile this one is priced 2400$ lower and has recaros. ive seen no major pricing differences between coupes/sedans. i would have thought coupes would be more expensive since less of them, but it hasn't looked like thats the case from what ive seen. im still on the fence either way.

There were 2 chromaflair grey coupes near me that were both listed at 47k even a couple months ago, and both were gone in less then 2 weeks. so there are dealers who are pricing them to sell, and then there are dealers listing for 50k+ who seem willing to let them sit on the lot for months and months. luckily i can wait.

as for the backup camera, everyone i ever talked to says the same thing. never used one before. wasn't a selling point for them at the time they bought the car. now they ONLY use the backup camera and can't imagine not having it. again, it all comes down to if im paying this much for a car, i want all the technology possible (ventilated seats, backup camera) regardless of if i need it, or think i want it.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I've been wanting to retrofit a camera to my '09. The sensors are helpful in my garage but it would help with that high rear end in parking lots.

While I'm a professional driver and very confident in my abilities, I don't mind having true aids like these.

Now, if you want to talk about front bumper cameras, that's another story...

·
Registered
TG V2
10 Posts
I've been watching autotrader as well and noticed many of the same trends as bobrules.
I do a 200 mile range check from philadelphia.
Is the backup camera the only reason you haven't looked at the 09 with 24,000 miles in Eden, PA? I'm thinking about that one, but really don't want to drive it from there, back to Texas.

·
Registered
CTS V
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
everyone has good points, am in no hurry,so i can wait till some kind of pricing comes along that i am interested in, am looking for Diamond white or grey chromaflair inparticular, i have a Diamond white now in awd, love it, could trick the neighbours if i got a V in Diamond, lol. i usually follow Cargurus.

·
Registered
07' Sport, Ming Blue
53 Posts
I've been watching autotrader as well and noticed many of the same trends as bobrules.

Is the backup camera the only reason you haven't looked at the 09 with 24,000 miles in Eden, PA? I'm thinking about that one, but really don't want to drive it from there, back to Texas.
Pretty much. If i buy in the spring of 2013, that would mean that an 09' would basically be 4-5 years old already. The 09's tend to be 3-5k cheaper then 10/11's on average. An 11' will only be 2-3 years old, and i plan on immediately getting a 6yr extended warranty on it. So between the backup camera, and the cheaper cost for a warranty on the 11' (im assuming since ill still have like 2 years on the factory bumper to bumper left) id rather have a car thats 2 years newer. The net savings doesn't seem like much by going with an 09' for me. Plus, i really think im going to get a couple which you can't get in 09'.

·
Registered
07' Sport, Ming Blue
53 Posts
I think I'm going to start maintaining a price trend record for the next 3-4 months or so. Do some sort of excel database for weekly listings or something. I'd like to actually be able to plot a graph showing average/high/low prices for 2011s with under 30k miles over time to see how they de-value.

Just off the top of my head I know my original autotrader bookmark for 2011s had $52,500 as the max list price and when I started that search a few months ago I would only get 8-10 results in a 300 mile range and they would all be 50k+. Now that same bookmark with a 200 mile range gets me 18 results, and 2/3 of the results are priced under 50k. So just off the top of my head, the price of 2011s has trended down on average around $3000 in the past 3-4 months.

·
Registered
CTS V
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so in another4-5 months it possible they may drop another 3-4k Bob. hopefully. but the car i want to sell will depreciate also, not by that much, but it is all relevent i guess.

----------

Bob.. there is no date on the ads that are posted in autotrader is there ? Can t see any, no way of telling when some of the cars where posted unless one sees a new one that day.

I think I'm going to start maintaining a price trend record for the next 3-4 months or so. Do some sort of excel database for weekly listings or something. I'd like to actually be able to plot a graph showing average/high/low prices for 2011s with under 30k miles over time to see how they de-value.

Just off the top of my head I know my original autotrader bookmark for 2011s had $52,500 as the max list price and when I started that search a few months ago I would only get 8-10 results in a 300 mile range and they would all be 50k+. Now that same bookmark with a 200 mile range gets me 18 results, and 2/3 of the results are priced under 50k. So just off the top of my head, the price of 2011s has trended down on average around $3000 in the past 3-4 months.

·
Registered
07' Sport, Ming Blue
53 Posts
most listings have a free carfax. the carfax shows when the dealer took possession and when the title/tags where transferred, so you have a general idea when they took it in or when it was auctioned.

i doubt it will drop 3-4k in the next 6 months, the price seemed like it dropped alot around sept due to the 2013 model being released and winter. but id like to think there will be 2011s consistently in the 46k range by may.

·
Registered
CTS V
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found a few that i am interested in Bob. and some have the carfax you can look at,some require you to buy them. There are a few options for me here. pay more and get an 11 or pay much less and get an 09 and spring for exteneded warranty.
thanks for your help.

most listings have a free carfax. the carfax shows when the dealer took possession and when the title/tags where transferred, so you have a general idea when they took it in or when it was auctioned.

i doubt it will drop 3-4k in the next 6 months, the price seemed like it dropped alot around sept due to the 2013 model being released and winter. but id like to think there will be 2011s consistently in the 46k range by may.

·
Registered
2009 CTSV bone stock
627 Posts
I got my 09 for 44k and bought a three year GM warranty for 1850, car had 22 k miles on it. Has recaros with big sunroof too. Plus fresh OEM tires on it. Car is spotless and everybody thinks its brand new. I think an ol golfer type of guy had it before me. It was in Conn and and must have been garaged and never driven in the winter. The polishing cloth was still attached to the headrest in its package.

·
Registered
CTS V
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow nice find.
been looking at a 10 with 39k on it, asking 41k recaros and the roof and polished aluminum,doesn t seem to bad. will have to do more research on it.

I got my 09 for 44k and bought a three year GM warranty for 1850, car had 22 k miles on it. Has recaros with big sunroof too. Plus fresh OEM tires on it. Car is spotless and everybody thinks its brand new. I think an ol golfer type of guy had it before me. It was in Conn and and must have been garaged and never driven in the winter. The polishing cloth was still attached to the headrest in its package.

·
Registered
2009 CTSV bone stock
627 Posts
I got the polished wheels too, not a scratch on them......until I added some rash. I was driving a Nismo Z before the V and I'm just getting used to the size difference.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I picked up my 09 in December 2011 with 16,450 miles recaro seats 6sp manual and pano sunroof for 43k ... Had to have it shipped from Akron Ohio all the way to NorCal.... Took me about 4months to find but totally worth it... As someone else said, don't settle keep looking

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
squackatu said:
I picked up my 09 in December 2011 with 16,450 miles recaro seats 6sp manual and pano sunroof for 43k ... Had to have it shipped from Akron Ohio all the way to NorCal.... Took me about 4months to find but totally worth it... As someone else said, don't settle keep looking
Great find! I am amazed how many '09s there are out there with dirt mileage.

·
Registered
2009 CTSV bone stock
627 Posts
I looked for quite a while for a six speed with Recaro seats and the chrome wheels. With reised CAFE regulation coming due, I thought it was best to buy it now. The 09's are coming off lease or the first buyers are after the latest car toy, so they are coming to the market in the mid 40's. By buying the GM warranty I essentially self certified it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts