Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been looking to spice up my commute with a sport sedan. I can't downsize to a Corvette because I have cargo and occasional passengers. This would be used as a daily, for fairly extensive local commuting (nothing crazy, maybe 15k a year). The cargo is for work, and a priority for me is reliability so that I never break down and miss anything, as well as low cost of ownership. I need to fulfill those basic requirements, but I want to have a little power and fun. I had been looking at the G37 because Japanese sport sedan with a manual should be reliable and cheap to own, but I have not been able to find one (well, at least one worth buying and owning - I've driven some terrible G37s).

Enter the CTS-V, which is similarly sized and similarly priced. I have heard that the drivetrain is more bulletproof, but I might run into some weird GM electrical issues or such. I have found a clean CTS-V with great maintenance records and ownership history (including upgrades to the rear diff), and since I have had no luck so far, I wonder if I should jump on it. I am down for whatever preventative maintenance so there aren't issues later, and reviews on Infiniti/Nissan ownership are mixed to where I don't know that it would be any more reliable.

Is this the car for me?

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's been good to me so far, though there were some speed bumps.

If you can find one that has had the bulk of, or all of the major fixes already done to it, it's worth a premium.

Have a look in the Facebook group cts-v1 vs the world for a good resource of info, plus here and LS1tech for tons of info on the platform.

The Facebook page is the best bet to get a good one, with tasteful mods and major fixes already done.

If I could go back in time, I'd have bought one already finished vs a cheaper one and doing it myself.

I bought the only one available here in UAE and have taken it from 88k miles to 150k in 3 years. Did cam and heads swap at 150k and it's better than ever now.

If you have a second car, this is a great platform for daily driving. I say that because while your doing mods etc it's better to have a backup.

-Byron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been good to me so far, though there were some speed bumps.

If you can find one that has had the bulk of, or all of the major fixes already done to it, it's worth a premium.

Have a look in the Facebook group cts-v1 vs the world for a good resource of info, plus here and LS1tech for tons of info on the platform.

The Facebook page is the best bet to get a good one, with tasteful mods and major fixes already done.

If I could go back in time, I'd have bought one already finished vs a cheaper one and doing it myself.

I bought the only one available here in UAE and have taken it from 88k miles to 150k in 3 years. Did cam and heads swap at 150k and it's better than ever now.

If you have a second car, this is a great platform for daily driving. I say that because while your doing mods etc it's better to have a backup.

-Byron
Thanks Byron. I appreciate that. I will check out the Facebook group when I have a minute. I might go back on this, but 400 hp feels like more than enough for a long term daily, so I really wouldn't plan on modding, although this would be my only car. I know that the powertrain can hold up to mods, so I can see where the longevity comes from if you just leave it alone. I'm glad to hear it's served you well over your 20k+ miles a year.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
iI had two v1's that were dd at the same time. An 04 and a 05. I've been in a dd v1 since Jan of 05. So far neither has left me stranded. My 05 that i still dd with two kid seats gets double duty. DD/track day car. With regular basic maintenance it has been my most reliable car ever for me lol. im at 150k and just headers and a tune for power mods. Find the right one and you should be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
odla