Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an STS and love it! After all the smack talking about me buying an "old man" car and a few other choice names she called my car, my girlfriend is now in love with Cadillac as well. Who says you can't train women :stirpot: She is now looking to ditch her toyota camry for a CTS. She likes the size of it over the larger STS. I don't know much about the CTS other than the fact that the V is crazy fast. Any pointers or things to look for, maybe things to avoid? My STS has the 3.6 and I'm sure the 3.6 vesion of the CTS is plenty quick. How about the 2.8, can I find one well equiped? Any help would be great.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
'05 CTS 2.8L - Silver - 6 Speed Manual
108 Posts
Ha ha! I will ignore the crack about training women, and tell you that I just got a 2005 CTS, with the help of someone that can find any kind that you want. I'll send along his name and number to your in-box if you'd like to contact him.

Tell her all girls need their own Caddy!

(Wayne Horner 850/559-7370)

He's a good car guy to know even if you don't end up buying anything he finds for you. He's already looking for my 2nd CTS since my kids are about to take my first one away from me! :)

Lisa

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
The main thing to keep an eye on with the 3.6 and 2.8 is the timing chain. The main thing to keep an eye on with ANY CTS regardless of engine size in first gen, is the radiator fitting for the transmission lines. They get brittle and break. I installed an external cooler and noticed that when i removed the line, it never went back in. LOL It broke during ext cooler install (which is better then it breaking mid-drive like some of the other guys here, and spending over 2k to fix. a $40 ext. cooler is much better then 2k)

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
The main thing to keep an eye on with the 3.6 and 2.8 is the timing chain. The main thing to keep an eye on with ANY CTS regardless of engine size in first gen, is the radiator fitting for the transmission lines. They get brittle and break. I installed an external cooler and noticed that when i removed the line, it never went back in. LOL It broke during ext cooler install (which is better then it breaking mid-drive like some of the other guys here, and spending over 2k to fix. a $40 ext. cooler is much better then 2k)
cost me $1200 with towing......

the sts 3.6 is the same as the cts 3.6 and identical to the 2.8. so anything engine related to your sts should be similar if not identical to the cts.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Yup. Engine would be identical. The radiator won't, so keep an eye on that.

And also, keep an eye on your timing chain, since you have a 3.6... they wear out easily and too quickly.

·
Registered
08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the delay... I've been stuck working in the Philippines for 7 weeks. Thanks for the tips. I have 40k on my sts, any thoughts on how soon to do the timing chain? I know the average chain will go over 100k with no worries.

·
Registered
08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not all it's cracked up to be.... I spent six weeks here starting last November without a day off (including Thanksgiving) then came home for 3 weeks to spend Chistmas with the family, and back out here January. Haven't had a day off yet.... But yeah, in our current economy, I'm not going to complain.

·
Registered
'07 CTS black on black 3.6 FE5 'Nadine'
163 Posts
Hopefully you're far away from the MILF . :suspense:

No, not what you guys think .. :bigroll:

Fish

·
Registered
08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully you're far away from the MILF . :suspense:

No, not what you guys think .. :bigroll:

Fish
Not sure what your talking about, so I guess I must be...:duck:
I do know that I've seen a LOT of things that I have never seen before since I've been here :wtf:
Some things are best unsaid................

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I do know that I've seen a LOT of things that I have never seen before since I've been here :wtf:
It wouldn't happen to have anything to do with ladyboys or prostitution would it? LOL

All the engines in the CTS are good. You can find well equipped 3.2s if you search enough. 2.8s and 3.6 have the timing chain issue. Us with the 3.2s have the valve cover, CPS, PCV issues, and ALL of us regardless of engine have the radiator / trans line issues. With all that out the way, keeping an eye out for these issues will help you out, and preventative maintenance will help out even more once you own the car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That would be a rebel group; Moro Islamic Liberation Front ... :cool:

What island are you on ?

Sorry to go ot but I'm curious .

·
Registered
08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The big one...LOL! I'm in Quezon city.
We have named the ladyboys Transformers (more than meets the eye!) It's amazing how often I've heard "hey Joe, you want chick?"
I can tell you this as well, when your 6'1" 210lbs with a shaved head and tattoo's down your arms....You do stand out in this crowd.
Thanks for the pointers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The big one...LOL! I'm in Quezon city.
We have named the ladyboys Transformers (more than meets the eye!) It's amazing how often I've heard "hey Joe, you want chick?"
I can tell you this as well, when your 6'1" 210lbs with a shaved head and tattoo's down your arms....You do stand out in this crowd.
Thanks for the pointers.
Yeah, like head and shoulders over everyone . lol
Visit Taal in the Batangas area .
It's the balisong/butterfly knifemaking capitol of the Philippines . :yup:

Fish

·
Registered
08 STS V, had 06 V6 STS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I hear... I really haven't been able to go anywhere other than the inside of our shop and the hotel. I work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week while out of town.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts