Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a 1997 C adillac concours deville.I currently own a 91 Sedan deville,which is nice,but I'm attracted to the Concours' smooth lines and classic design,which reminds me of the cadillacs of the late 60's-early 70's. Anyone out there own one, and can you tell me anything about the car? THANKS:confused:

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Don't own one so I can't speak from experience, but you'll want to get a service history. Pre-2000 N*s have head gasket issues and it's expensive to fix. If the job has already been done, the worry meter drops a few notches.

Advantages are (other than the styling you like) a handsome increase in power over your 4.9, decent mileage, improved technology.

Disadvantages are - it's far more complicated to work on. Many independent shops won't even touch a N*. Dealer labor rates are obscene.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Don't own one so I can't speak from experience, but you'll want to get a service history. Pre-2000 N*s have head gasket issues and it's expensive to fix. If the job has already been done, the worry meter drops a few notches.

Advantages are (other than the styling you like) a handsome increase in power over your 4.9, decent mileage, improved technology.

Disadvantages are - it's far more complicated to work on. Many independent shops won't even touch a N*. Dealer labor rates are obscene.
I just sold a beautiful 97 SDV with 27 k miles on it. Great car.

Here is what I do when I buy a used car. First, I buy all of mine with less than 20k miles on them. And these cars are usually 5 years old or more.

1. I change radiator hoses as rubber becomes brittle after x years.
2. Change fan belt. REMEMBER THAT THE NORTHSTAR HAS 2 FAN BELTS. Serpantine connects everything except water pump. Water pump belt is almost a rubber band in front of driver's side, near radiator. You will see small shroud over it. You can change it yourself.

3. Brake pads are really easy on these, methings 1 bolt on each side.
4. Things to watch out for a. as soon as you smell anti-freeze, get car checked out. b. keep the digital dash showing engine temp. If car overheats, then you are up a creek without a paddle.

Car is very quick, comfortable. Windows, like most cars today, do go out. Find a local mechanic for this--after you have tried pounding on door. Some say that cures problem.

Just watch that eng temp. In fact, drive that car for an hour or more prior to buying it. Keep watching temp.

One other thing, Northstars made from about 2001 and up have a less serious (less expensive) overheating problem. On the 97ish cars, you have to replace the engine typically. Ain't cheap.

·
Registered
1997 Deville Concours
188 Posts
I love my Concours. I have replaced the HG's, radiator and front struts. If a problem occures, the computer will tell you what it is, and thanks to this forum, you can get advice and in most casts, directions how to fix it.
I bought the service manuals and am surprised at how simple most repairs have become for me to do.
If you are still interested in one, be sure to get as much of the service history as you can. You can also get the warranty history by asking at cadillac.com.
Good luck
DAVE
'97 Concours

1 - 4 of 4 Posts