Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking at buying a 2001 Seville SLS with 99k miles, two owner car, second owner bought car certified, Cadillac dealership maintained since new, kind of a pewter/beige color with beige leather, no sunroof. One of my best friends owns a car dealership group and calls me when he gets neat cheap cars in that he thinks will tickle me, and he offered this one to me for what he took it in on trade for: $3,100.

I took it this weekend for an extended test drive and the "service engine soon" light came on. I understand there is a way to check "codes" and I'm wondering if I do that myself somehow, or if I should have the problem diagnosed by the dealer. The car runs great, is super clean inside and out, and everything seems to work. Please help me with thoughts or ideas. :)

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,476 Posts
Pull the codes yourself. See the sticky at the top of the forum page on how to pull the DTC'S.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great price!

How do I get a best friend that runs a car dealership conglomerate? I want first dibs on used stock! :D
I think I paid for the privilege. I owned a new car buying service and small used car lot for many years before selling the business in 2008, I did lots of business with my friend over the years and he still kindly sells me neat old cars that he thinks will tickle me, he probably makes the same money that he would see if he sent them to the auction. It's a nice position to be in. I've been up north on a project since this past summer near his dealerships and so far he has sold me a really nice 92 Buick Roadmaster Limited, a pristine 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, a clean 95 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, and now, perhaps, this 01 Seville. :)

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Great price!

How do I get a best friend that runs a car dealership conglomerate? I want first dibs on used stock! :D
My Neighbor Son owns a Used Car lot he has 1 now they used to have alot of them back in the day
but he has one now wich is both good used cars and buget used cars
and even the good ones nope not going to trust lol
naw some of his ride are good
i was looking just the other day and say hes got a 93 LS400 posted for 4999
i bet if i wanted it and had the cash i could get it for 3000

he usualy sells eveyrone well lists evyerhign for atleast 2k over what he pays sometimes a little less if its a buget car then hes probably only making like 300 or 400 enough to cover what it cost him plus a few extra bucks

but i get anything i want from him at cost and have not bought a car from him in 10 years cause they always bust down with in a week lol

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got around to checking the code on this car today, it is: PCM P0410 Current

I looked it up in the guide and it is "Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System"

Is the car a ticking time bomb or not so bad? :) Please let me know what this is. Thanks! :)

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,648 Posts
On the 01 SLS the AIR pump - used to light off the cat during cold start - is located down inside the LF fenderwell liner - just about under the air filter box assembly. You go in through the wheelwell, wheel off, liner removed.

Not an uncommon problem - the pump sucks in moisture and freezes up. The new replacement has an air intake hose which snakes up into the upper engine compartment.

Talk to Chris up in RippyParts, vendors ^^^

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
The Air pump is not going to be a ticking time bomb i get a 0416 i think for that same air pump i think maybe its the secondary thats bad
im not even going to mess around with it untill December when i need to take it for a E-check

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information. I will see if the check engine light comes back on again, if it does I will get this problem fixed. I appreciate the the help! :) Dave

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
But, if you're buying the car check prices on that pump first. It's not that cheap, a couple hundred if I remember correctly. Might be good for bargaining. Or at least you'll know what repair cost you're in for.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I own the car, got it for what seemed cheap enough, I am ok with a couple of hundred to fix the problem - - I will wait to see if the check engine light comes on again before I do anything, otherwise I will enjoy it until it bores more or the next car deal comes along. :)

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
I think I paid $140 (free shipping) from Amazon for mine if I remember correctly.
Well that's not a bad price. When I was looking at the air pump for my Impala it was over $300 from GM...

·
Registered
None yet
5 Posts
I'm new here and didn't want to start a new topic, because i am alsoo looking for a SLS or STS 2000/2001.
I now have a Mercury Grand Marquis 1995 (i live in the Netherlands) and i want to have a other car.
Well i have some concerns and i hope you can help me with this.
First: when i may believe the information here on this forum, the 2000 and younger Northstar engines has less trouble with the headgasket issue.
How can i see if it's a 2000 engine? Does it have sparkwires or coil on plug?
Alsoo i read 2 different stories about replacing head gaskets, with engine out and with engine still in the car.
Can you change the gaskets with the engine in place?
I visited 2 dealers, both have a SLS for sale, but 1 was filled with Dexcool and the other one was filled with normal green coolant.
Alsoo the one with Dexcool was never changed, do i get serious problems when i buy such car?

Well this is it, i hope you can make me positive of buying one. It's a very nice car to see!!!!
Btw: both cars had sparkwires (2000/2001)

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,476 Posts
GM went to COP ignition on the Northstar in 2000. If the cars you looked at has spark plug wires, they are 1999 or older.

Green coolant is not bad if it is changed at 2 year intervals. If the one with Dex was never changed, it's possible that it could be problematic. No one can say for sure.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
i think the export seville's were behind a year or two so they are probably truly 1999 or 1998 models but sold in europe as 2000/2001 year model cars

maybe double check by the vin plate on the windshield and/or the sticker on the driver's door edge

1 - 20 of 21 Posts