Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Soon to be an 88 Coupe Deville,1997 Jeep Cherokee
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys i'm new to the forum. A buddy of mine from work is wanting to get rid of his Deville. The body is real straight. I own a Jeep so i know something about vehicles with quirks. What do i need to pay particular attention to on these. I have always wanted a Caddy so i figured hey its 200 bucks and clean what the hell. All help is greatly appreciated:thumbsup:

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
The '88 is a very nice car. It's based on the late 80s GM C-Body, shared by full size Buick, Olds, and Pontiac. A light yet very strong platform with an almost bulletproof suspension. The Cadillac version of this chassis is buttery soft, yet it retains some pretty good handling characteristics.
The engine is a 4.5 liter transverse V-8, the second generation of the 4.x series. It's a very reliable, just slightly underpowered engine. Because of the aluminum block/cast iron head design, this engine does occasionally suffer from failed intake or head gaskets. Check the oil for a milkshake appearance indicating coolant in the oil. If all is well, you should get around 17-24mpg.
Most typical problem areas are: A/C compressor, self-leveling rear suspension, water pump, alternator, EGR, and various sensors and electrical modules. If you're handy and can do some repairs yourself, they're challenging but not terribly difficult to work on.
The best part of these cars is that they have their own onboard diagnostic system. With the key on, press and hold OFF and WARMER on the Climate Control Panel, then watch the Fuel Data Center. It will display any current and historical trouble codes. Write down the letter-number sequences and check the sticky post at the top of the 4.x engine section to translate what they mean.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Its a great car. I know from experience. :)

Mine likes to eat transmissions and water pumps (gone through two of each in the past year, thank God for warranties). The engine is a torque monster but not that great with horsepower. Off the line it will beat damn near anything but at speed it is not so hot. It should act very similar to your Jeep, assuming that you have the 4 liter engine. The other thing that likes to go is a little plastic piece in the window that holds it on the track. Its a very easy fix and the part only costs about $20, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Do what Noahsdad said and pull any DTC codes from the climate control center. Give us some pics as well. Its not that often that I see an '88 coupe or an '87 with the extended tail lights. You will enjoy the car and for $200 you can't beat it. It is a way better highway/roadtrip car than any Jeep.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a great car. I know from experience. :)

Mine likes to eat transmissions and water pumps (gone through two of each in the past year, thank God for warranties). The engine is a torque monster but not that great with horsepower. Off the line it will beat damn near anything but at speed it is not so hot. It should act very similar to your Jeep, assuming that you have the 4 liter engine. The other thing that likes to go is a little plastic piece in the window that holds it on the track. Its a very easy fix and the part only costs about $20, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Do what Noahsdad said and pull any DTC codes from the climate control center. Give us some pics as well. Its not that often that I see an '88 coupe or an '87 with the extended tail lights. You will enjoy the car and for $200 you can't beat it. It is a way better highway/roadtrip car than any Jeep.

Of course I have the 4 liter you think i'm crazy! I hear ya on it being better on the highway than my Jeep. If you have ever heard mud terrains at 75 mph you know how i feel:D I figure hey if it lasts me through the winter i can either A. Throw a massive box in the trunk and some wheels:D or B. trade it for an S-10 or a cheap Jeep to thrash on its well worth 200 bucks:yup:

I'll post up pics tomorrow, after i go look at it

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Of course I have the 4 liter you think i'm crazy! I hear ya on it being better on the highway than my Jeep. If you have ever heard mud terrains at 75 mph you know how i feel:D
My winter truck. I know EXACTLY what mud tires sound like at 75 mph. :yup:

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
We need some interior shots! Go to the junkyard and get some hubcaps and a new crest for the right side C-pillar emblem. Or go to autozone/Wal-Mart and get some cheapo hub caps that look like wire ones. Here is what the ones on my Fleetwood look like.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the interior isn't bad its missing a headliner, the armrests on the doors are trashed and needs cleaned up real good. I'm gonna go sunday and we're gonna fire it up and put some brake fluid in it to find where its leaking, and also check to see if it has any codes stored. I don't think the dash is cracked and i am pretty sure everything works. This is just gonna be a back-up car/dd when the jeep is getting goodies put on it:D not too terribly worried about it BTW i think he has the hubcaps for it

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,153 Posts
is this caddy for sale i would like to buy ? whats the location ?
welcome to the forums! Good idea to check dates on threads. The user you replied to hasn't logged on in over ten years. Also, check the list of forums for the classifieds/for sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts