Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THis is my first post and I find this forum a great resource...thanks

I have been seriously looking at a 99 SLS with, I think, every option, including a moon roof. It appears to be in excellent condition, but has 122,000 miles on it.

Unfortunately, it is at a local used car lot that has been pretty reputable over the years, but there is no history on the car.

Before I buy it I would certainly run a car fax on it, unless someone has yet a better idea.

It is the pearl white with tan interior, which I have always liked very well.

The good news, I think, is the price. He has it on special for $4800, which I think is pretty cheap....KBB is closer to $8000.

The low price could be a red flag, but the guy says he just can't sell it with gas prices over $3.

I thought the mileage on the Northstar was decent....like 15-21 or so...correct?

ANy response will greatly be appreciated.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
You'll get good fuel economy with it. I got about 20 city/30 highway with my '97 SLS. My '01 STS doesn't get quite as good, but still is close to the EPA estimate; I get about 18/25 with it.

With the cheap price, the no history, the questionable amount of miles, I'd probably pass on it, unless you have some funds for some repair work. Buying any used car is a risk, and late model Cadillacs are no exception. The cooling system requires maintenance that is often not done. The typical failure mode is leaking head gaskets, which are costly to replace. Far and wide, most cars are fine, but it's a big expense if it does happen.

At the very least, if you do drive it, I would drive for AT LEAST an hour, in all sorts of conditions (city, highway, full throttle, etc). Wring it out and see what happens. You'd likely be fine with it, but the combination of high miles and unknown history and a CHEAP price raises a red flag in my opinion.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
:yeah:
I think gas prices are hurting the luxury car market but the book value should be reflecting that. It should be showing resale values and this sounds low unless he really just wants to get it off the lot.
My '99 STS is the same color but I have 40K less miles than this one. With all of the issues these cars have, I'd pass on the "no records" situation unless you are a gambler 'cause the price is good. Do a good test drive and check codes. Be very critical of the suspension.

·
Registered
1999 SLS
5 Posts
That is a cheap price. I would say stay away, unless you really love the car and would be prepared to sink money into the engine.

I own a 1999 SLS. It was a wonderful car up until about 1.5 months ago. I blew a head gasket. It was due to my ineptness to maintain the cooling system properly.

I would definitely buy another one, but bring it in for service at the slightest notice of any coolant leak or smell. My Car got :( 18 - 19 MPG; I do 98% city driving. Take the car for a test drive for about 2 hours. Some cars with leaks drive fine until well after they have reached optimal operating temperature.

I had a car that I could use for up to 1.5 hours before any issues were noticed.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Pass. Far too many potential failure points on that car to take it with no history. Unusually cheap Northstars are usually an indication of a headgasket problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts