2007 EXT Supercharged
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i found a beautiful 96 ESC black on black. 144k miles

I havent seen the car yet, but they may bring it down to my area tomorrow

This is what i know so far.

Service ride control
sunroof is siliconed shut
engine misfire (must be the flashing service light)
factory cd changer doesnt work
crappy silver wheels
suspension rattles over bumps

Now, if i were to buy this car, can i diagnose the misfire with my 94 (its a standard eldo but basiaclly an ESC) coil packs, wires, and so on?

I already have extra sway bar bushings from mine by accident...ended up with 3 extra ones.

I just cant remember when they changed a bunch of engine related parts.....something like my 94 intake is different or the fuel pressure reg as far as i can remember.....anything else?

Also plan on putting my chrome wheels with new tires on this one if its a descent car.

Number one reason for ugrading is he said it doesnt leak oil......my 94 is a bed wetter......looks horrible on my epoxy garage floor. Now this may sound stupid but my 94 only has 107k on the clock but im wiling to sacrifice the 40k for the black color and the body kit (fog lights and muffler tip surround) It just looks alot cleaner on the new style.

Any other thoughts???

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
When you finally see the car, the first thing you should do is check the codes. OFF and passenger warmer buttons will do this. Don't tell him to check the codes for you, check them yourself.

Yes you can interchange ignition parts. Spark plug wires are of different lengths though.

In 95 the intake manifold was redesigned to give a better air/fuel mixture. The FPR is still in the same general location, it's just that it's no longer inside of the intake manifold so it actually does have a vacuum line going to it unlike the 94.

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i plan on taking a code sheet with me. Is this the obdII? codes are different right?

How about the sunroof that wont close or seal on it own?? bad motor? can it be fixed?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,106 Posts
Make a hard U-turn and look elsewhere......unless you love misery. (1996 is probably OBD-I, but could be a crossover if it's a late year model - driver's door sticker build after Jan '96 - the model run ended in June-96)

Too many negatives, right off the bat. You won't get into a Cadillac for a Toyota price. 14 years old or not...........

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make a hard U-turn and look elsewhere......unless you love misery. (1996 is probably OBD-I, but could be a crossover if it's a late year model - driver's door sticker build after Jan '96 - the model run ended in June-96)

Too many negatives, right off the bat. You won't get into a Cadillac for a Toyota price. 14 years old or not...........
Whats that supposed to mean??

My 94 was salvage title, cruise didnt work, door hung low on pass side, rubber v boot on pass side would not seal even after fixing the door, leaks oil like a sieve, had the crappy wheels on it, service ride control, and now ac comp leaks over winter. Already fixed the sway bar bushings, swar bar links, alt, coolant leak, and cruise.

So what makes it any worse than my current car??

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well....it was a piece of crap....ill have to deal with my 94 for awhile...

It would take about a weeks worth of work to get it into the condition mine is in...

It also didnt seem to have quite as much snort as mine....even though its supposed to have 5 more HP. Seemed to run just fine, didnt notice any misfiring like the code that was set. Oh and it did have chrome wheels....they just never washed the car, so they looked silver in the pics.

Been smoked in, drivers door panel was hanging and stuff rattling aroudn inside (although my 94 was the same way) , windows didnt seal up as well as my 94, and it had a small spot of rust on the pass fender...

Oh well, i like the look of the newer ones, but not THAT bad....

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Seemed to run just fine, didnt notice any misfiring like the code that was set.
Good thing you're not buying it then. My guess is it's probably got a bad headgasket and he ran it a while to burn the water out of the cylinders before you came.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts