Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
None
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I'm looking at a 2010 STS-4 as a possible replacement for my aging Nissan Xterra (a loyal soldier that has put in over 150,000 miles but is getting a bit long in the tooth). The STS is one of the few cars that I can consider as an SUV replacement; I have two kids that play travel hockey and hockey sticks generally do not fit in a trunk. Fortunately, the STS has that handy pass-thru.

In any case, the vehicle in question is a 2010, AWD, 3.6 DI, with 70K on the odo. This car would be my daily driver (around 80 miles round trip) with occasional longer road trips as hockey season dictates. I don't hammer my vehicles - I leave that for other toys.

Are there common issues that I should check for on this year/model? Or preventative service that I should work into the deal? The car is on the local Cadillac dealer's lot, and does carry some sort of warranty (nothing too extensive, I imagine).

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.5, Black Raven (ext) - Jet Black (int)
38 Posts
The timing chains are a common problem and GM has issued an extended warranty to specifically cover this repair. I just purchased an 08 STS with 89,000 miles on it (which is why I joined this forum) and the local Cadillac dealer had just replaced the chains on my car (which is probably why it was traded in, but they didn't say). Ask the dealer to pull the complete service history on that VIN. If it's had the chains replaced under the extended warranty, it will show. If it hasn't, you will have to have it done at some point. First indication of the problem is a CEL and the code thrown will be for cam position sensor.

You can also go to the Cadillac web site and register the VIN under the "my Cadillac" section and see what warranties remain on the car. It will also show there if the special warranty for the timing chains is still in effect. It should be on a 2010, because the special warranty if for 120,000 total miles or 10 years from the date of first registration, which ever comes first.

These DI engines are notoriously hard on oil (even worse than the TFSI in my Audi). Under no circumstances should you follow the the OLM for routine oil changes. Use a high quality synthetic and go no more than 5000 miles or six months on oil changes.

I bought my STS with eyes wide open knowing the potential problems with the car. Cadillac uses a lot of funky technology that can be expensive to repair (like the front door handles not being mechanically connected to anything--the doors unlatch electronically). Nevertheless, I love the styling of the STS and the comfort and driving dynamics of the car are first rate. The Sigma platform is probably the best thing ever to come out of GM-- the result of the engineers being allowed to develop something irrespective of cost--which is why this platform has remained a Cadillac exclusive. It was simply too expensive to produce to be used by any other GM division. If you go into STS ownership knowing the potential problems and you're willing to accept them, I think you will be very pleased with the car.

K

·
0 Posts
I have had very few issues with my 2008 in the seven years I have owned it. 70K+ miles and doesn't use a drop of oil. Best car I have ever owned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts